Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amptrooper

Collage Park TruStep click

I have a Collage Park Tru Step foot. I like it a lot because of it's ability to handle all kinds of terrain but, it has begun to constantly click. I worked for a while at a prosthetic clinic and we had one other person who had the exact same thing. All we could do was to take the whole foot apart and clean all the working parts and re lube it. That seems to do the trick for a while but it only lasts a week or so then it goes right back to clicking.

Anyone have that happen and if so, any solutions that you have come up with that works?

I've heard that about that foot. It has bushings that need replacing. It has maintenance that goes with it.

I've found that superfine powder works better to quieten the squeaks I've ever gotten in my various feet.

I've heard that about that foot. It has bushings that need replacing. It has maintenance that goes with it.

I've found that superfine powder works better to quieten the squeaks I've ever gotten in my various feet.

Like a foot powder?

I think he is taking about some kind of graphite powder, you can get it at most hardware stores.

The click is not the foot exactly, but the grub screws that secure the foot to the post. Even other grub screws on the pylon can do the same thing, but the foot seems particularly susceptible to this.

I too have had this issue but it was fixed when I met the VP of College Park with one of his techs when they visited my Limb Centre. They knew of this issue and fixed it on the spot.

The tech removed the grub screws and lightly sanded the face (the end that presses against the post) with a very fine carborundum paper and then replaced the screws. The trick is to progressively tighten all the screws in turn as you can get the left/right screws too tight before the front/back screws are tight enough.

I usually carry an allen key with me so I can loosen the right and front screws (just slightly) and then re-tighten them progressively so that they are tight but without upsetting the alignment.

Another point is that the college park trustep is very flexible and can mask alignment errors in the socket - one trick is to get the socket alignment right using a very basic foot, then put the trustep on. I found this vastly improved my leg.

I wouldn't try lubricating the foot - graphite powder is probably the best option, but urethane bushes should be self lubricating. Any kind of liquid or grease lubrication will attract dust an other debris which will shorten the life of the components.

The bushes do have a life - in the past 8 years I've had the college park foot I have had at least 3 sets of bushes and two foot shells replaced. Worn bushed usually squeak not click.

David

Thanks Dave! I am going to give that a try and if you don't mind I would like to send your message to my old boss at the prosthetic clinic. We told our CP Rep about the problem and of course he knew nothing.

Now, the CP Trustep does come with grease for the joints. I agree that it attracts dust and i thin that is one of the down falls. I usually don't grease them as they really don't seem to need it. But, the last foot we got in that was doing it we tried it as the rep suggested. It worked for a week or so and that was it. Again, I am going to try it the way you said and I will let y'all know what happens.

Would something like a silicone spray work better than a grease and still give you the lube that you need?