Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mary Farquhar

My Anniversary

I can't believe it's been 20 years since I had a chopart amputation. Most of my anniversary's I spent feeling down, but this year feels different. I guess I realize now that it shouldn't be a sad time, but a happy one...look at all I have accomplished. Although the last 4 years have been difficult ones with having some pain and now facing a bk amputation. But I think I am at better place then I was many years ago. I guess having to go through a bk amp now, I am ready for it. I got through one amp I can get through another.

I have to say thanks to this forum, which I found 2 years ago when I was in and out of depression. Not knowing what was going to happen to me. Thanks to all the people on here who pulled me through it, giving me info and being there. Much appreciated!

So HAPPY 20th Anniversary to me! LOL....

Mary

Keep your chin up. You have made it through the hardest parts and have experience to help you through the rest.

Chad

Mary, I decided some years back that any anniversary was a happy anniversary...especially if I was here to celebrate it! On the first anniversary of my amp, I had a very emotional, "up-and-down" sort of day. I couldn't decide if I wanted to just go out and "TRY to ignore it," or sit around home and feel sorry for myself.....two really sorry-sounding choices, I admit.

I actually spent the day at home and trying to sort out how I felt about being there one-legged. And, in the course of all that thinking, I discovered this forum. I wasn't a member, of course, so I couldn't post...but I read and read and read, and found much good advice...and a LOT of good humor! I filed for membership that day, and I've been here ever since.

My most recent anniversary happened last month. I didn't even realize it until a couple of weeks later...it was just another day. I hope that you will get to the "just another day" point yourself...it's a good place to be!

I'm glad you are now in a better place re your anniversary. I must admit I don't even notice my anniversaries now I guess the date is just not that important to me.

Go ahead,Mary,you are a winner!You defeated the bad times of your past with all your suffering,pain and depression and without knowing in what direction you should go.Now you have a goal to achieve and you'll do it with great success!You made your own decision together with the ideas and advice from all of us.Happy aniversary with a better quality of life for the future!You should make the day of your decision for a new life the day of aniversary and not the the day of your amputation.I wish you from all my heart that this is your rebirth for a better life.

Joachim

LAK+LAE

Mary I agree with Joachim..... :wink:

Thanks everyone! I have changed so much in the last 20 years, and I am on the right path.

So grateful to have found this site and to talk to so many wonderful people.