Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Joe

New guy in town

Hello everyone! I'm so glad to have finally found a proper amputee message board. I've already learned a lot from reading here but do expect to see a bunch of questions from me!

I think my story starts out similar to so many other people. On September 13, 2006 a careless driver made a left turn in front of me. It was so quick that I had no time to brake or evade. I went over the hood with my left leg hitting the front passenger window frame breaking it in a few places. Since I was wearing all my gear my only other injury was about an inch of road rash, on my now broken leg. My helmet took a beating, you could see where it ground into the pavement about 15' for a few months! After several attempts to fix and eventually save my leg, I was left with a mess full of scars inside and out that just caused more pain than it was worth. In March 2011 after talking to my doctors for a very long time, we amputated a few inches above all the mess, a few inches below my knee.

Deciding to go ahead with this operation was dramatic but I when I realize that not only is the old pain gone, the surgical pain is just about gone also! I'm not exactly sure what the future will give me but I do know that if it doesn't play along then I am going to give it some trouble. Just wait and see, maybe I'll be the first professional amputee roadracer! Now to figure out how to shift gears andjotbreak the rules...

I hope to get to know you all and maybe meet a few sometime along the way. I'm happy to be here (ashappy as you can be to be a member of this club), I'll be around!

- Joe S.

Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum.

Hi, Joe, and welcome! We have amputee-everything-elses, so why not a professional amputee road racer? (Actually, we DO have a competitive motorcycle racer who's adapted his bike and rides both cross-country and motocross...I got to see him ride at the X-Games one year.) Our guys can get pretty creative with adapting equipment, so you'll probably be able to get into some interesting discussions there.

I'm also an elective amputee, due to an apparently unrepairable fracture of my left foot. I went through a good number of repair attempts, all of which would eventually fail...when they told me that they were willing to continue to try surgical repairs "or you might want to consider amputating," it took me less than a day to decide to lose the foot and ankle. Turned out to be the best thing I could have done, so I hope your future works out at well!

Hi Joe and welcome - I am also an elective amputee (due to serious deformity) and have never regretted it. Since the driver that caused the accident was turning left I guess you are in the US so it is a slightly different set up to here in the UK but the problems - and solutions - are generally the same.

Welcome to the forum Joe. Form your questions and ask away.

Welcome to the group

Hi Joe...being an LBK I would guess you may need a special setup for shifting. My buddy is , like me an RBK but his was three years ago and he rides regularly.

He likes to tell a joke of an instance in the last few months where he was racing another riding friend on a long open stretch of highway......turns out he lost the drag race cause he missed a shift with his GOOD leg.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Forum--it is a great supportive place to get your questions answered and just hang out. My story is very similar to Cherlym--elective amputation after too many other surgeries to save my leg. It has been a little over four years and I am doing great--I wish you the same, but I learned I had to be patient and let healing take it course, which was far too slow for me.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd stop by and thank you all for the warm welcome! This place has already been extremely helpful with so many questions, but like I said, expect more!

It is nice to see that I'm not the only elective amp here. It took a long time to convince myself that I wasn't crazy for thinking of - and actually going though with - the amputation. BethMarie and Cherylm, I'll likely have questions specifically for you being part of the elective-amp-to-fix-a-damaged-limb crowd.

One hurdle behind me, just a few more to go...and I used to be really good at clearing those back in the day...

- Joe S

Oh and clanrickarde, I've already begun fabrication of a right side shift linkage which will take over the rear brake which will eventually become a thumb brake. :biggrin:

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum, not sure if you'll make it as the first pro-amp-road-racer as I think a few people may have beaten you to that title however you could always be the fastest (if you think you're up for the challenge).

Before you go too far with the adapted gear linkage have a look at Kliktronic I've fitted their shifter to 3 Ducati's, 2 ZX6R's, 1 CBR 600RR, a couple of dirt bikes and a Kawasaki Versys. These shifters are extremely reliable, reasonably easy to fit and very good value. They also have the added bonus of leaving you bike in a "normal" state which means other people can still ride it without having to get used to the new controls.

Either way, post up some pics of your bike when its finished.

Grum

Hello Joe :)

Sorry about what happened to you. I know when I found this forum, it was like I dont have to go through this by myself and there are others like me. Its like a new family :) Welcome to the 'hood' :)

hi joe

welcome to the club. I've found pleanty of answers here too, think it's a great help to being a member

Okay I shouldn't have said first ever but of course I meant to say fastest...yeah that! Might I ask who else out there is an amputee racer? I never really paid much attention but I'd love to at least try to contact them. I saw that Shane on here but he rides moto, not that its a bad thing. Rock on man, I just love the pavement too much. I was looking at the electronic shifters but I just feel like its worth a try to make something different but still similar. I'll certainly post pictures either way though!

5/14/2011

Hi Joe:

Welcome to the club. I am also a elective amputee as of August 2010. It is a world none of us ever thought we would be part of but I know for me it was the best answer to move ahead with life.

Some of the best advise I got was to set long range goals. Looking ahead, be it six months or looking ahead "to this time next year" helps keep me from being too frustrated or overwhelmed adjusting to this new life.

Hang in there!

Jane