Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
barbklim

Horrible hotal experience

About 2 months ago, I went to a Crowne Plaza hotel for a conference. I was in a handicap access room with a wheelchair-accessible shower (I am not in a chair). It had a shower bench attached to the back wall of the shower. While taking my shower, I felt the bench break away from the wall!!! I somehow managed not to hit the floor. Instead, there was an excruciating, long period where I was hanging by my right arm on the grab bar, while reaching for my leg (to the left of me), putting my liner on, getting the leg on, hyperextending my amputated leg knee when it slipped while putting the leg on, getting towels to sop up the water, and eventually getting the leg on. I am still treating for the knee injury, injury to the shoulder from hanging on the grab bar, and many, many emotional and psychological effects of it all.

The most shocking thing to me was that when I was finally out of the situation and looked everything over, I saw that the bench was attached with those little plastic anchors you use to hang pictures on the wall!!!!

I am definitely going after the hotel, and getting both physical and psychological help. Since they have not returned any calls from me, I fear that they just screwed the bench back in and put the next person in the room.

I wanted to post this, just to get general comments and reactions, as well as to provide some kind of warning, although I don't have any idea how to prevent another such incident, even if warned.

Well, Barb, I am really sorry to hear of your probems with the Crown Plaza.. Hopefully the Westin Crown will be much better.. I'm not even sure if they are the same chain..What Crown Plaza was it?

For me, I think I would go directly to the top about this one..Thank heavens most cell phones have cameras these days..That would of been my first reaction after a lot of cussing and damning.

I am assuming that you reported it to the head of the hotel when you fell. We can only hope that they fixed it correctly so that the next person staying in the room won't have the same troubles.

Thanks for the warning.

Sounds like someone is going to sue. Psychological help?

I have stayed in many hotels since my amputation 10 moths ago but have no experience with these tubs that have a sitting area built in. I am very content standing on one leg while I shower in a regular tub.

On that note I am sorry you had a bad experience although keep in mind I am sure the hotel or the person who installed the chair had no intention on having it fail. I would recommend not sweating the small stuff and turn it into a comical story to tell and laugh about with family and friends.

I think we have to pick our battles in life, and as amputees there are already enough challenges without having to cause further conflict and stress.

It is unfortunate this has caused you psychological stress, I guess we all cope with situations differently.

Best of luck,

Kane

Well, with no legs to stand on, I find anywhere I stay over night and use of bathroom facilities, usually a challenge, even if they are supposedly 'accessible', and that's on occasions been in hospitals also. I never trust fittings etc. etc.attached to the wall, showers I quite often end up on crawling into and sitting on the floor of the shower and baths, which I generally prefer, I test out first to see if they are firmly attached to the wall, as had a few which have moved a bit as I've got in and out. LOL

Got to admit I quite like the challenge of working out how I will use the given bathroom facilities, when I first became an amputee there was no 'accessibility' you just learned to manage best you could, which I tend to do though get annoyed when I've booked some establishments which specifically advertise themselves as wheelchair friendly and turn out to have a couple of steps in the entrance door or as in one I stayed at last year another four steps up to the dining area, especially if I know I could have paid less at an ordinary establishment.

Maybe ask for a shower chair next time. I use one at home and when traveling.

I have gotten used to just sitting in shower/baths when traveling. I'm completely uncomfortable standing on one leg while showering. That just seems like an accident on its way. At hotels I used to ask about shower chairs but one time one of those gave out on me giving me a similar experience as to the original poster's so I don't bother anymore and just accept sitting on the floor. For me it's just one of those many adjustments I've made. I learned right away after the amputation that showers would never be quick and as easy like they used to be. They're actually probably one of the biggest changes post-amputation along with donning the leg when rising from bed. I do have a shower chair and a shower head on a hose at home which makes things about as easy as I think it can be. I know when I travel that there will simply be challenges I don't face at home along with the ones I do. Oh well...