Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

hi my name is kevin i am a below knee bi lateral amputee i wear silicone sheaths on both legs the only down side is that where the sheaths end i get a terrible itching. i have tried everything i can think of to stop it if anyone has had a similar problem and been able to solve it please could you let me know before i scratch my skin off thanks.

Welcome to the forum Kevin. Are you a new amputee? Are these new liners? I've had this problem with silicon and gel liners. There is usually a breaking in period where you can get some irritation around the top edge of the liner. This will usually subside after the material stretches a little. I happens because of the pulling action on your skin. You can try to lubricate the edge with a dab of baby oil, vaseline, A & D ointment or Adaptskin. Don't use too much, just enough to lightly coat the area. Also make sure you wash the liners and rinse them well.

Hi Kevin,

I have used a product made by Monistat called "Soothing Care". It is a chaffing relief powder gel that has worked very well for me. If Neil's suggestions don't help maybe this product will.

Good luck!

Jane

I use the Monistat chafing relief everyday under my liner. Love it!

If your sheaths are new, it's possible that they still have residue from powders or other materials used in their manufacture or packaging. (Took me six years to find out about that one...duh!) I went through very rough, itchy "break-in periods" with liners and sleeves for years...then an intern at my new CPO's office clued me in to the residue issue and suggested that I thoroughly clean my various silicone components at least a couple of times before wearing a new one. Voila! No more itching!

I roll the top edge down from 1-5cm. The rolled edge is more comfortable than the trimmed edge and it's easy to change where it is by rolling it more or less. Your mileage may vary....

hi my name is kevin i am a below knee bi lateral amputee i wear silicone sheaths on both legs the only down side is that where the sheaths end i get a terrible itching. i have tried everything i can think of to stop it if anyone has had a similar problem and been able to solve it please could you let me know before i scratch my skin off thanks.

Hi Kevin

I am a bilateral b/k also, and do get itching from time to time, actually get more itching from the suspension sleeve which is made from silicone than the actual liner, that I think is made from urathane or similar (but not silicone). I don't know if you are using the pin suspension, or the sleeves, but I also get raised follicles where the edge of the liner and the sleeve connect, and really bad itching sometimes if the sleeve bunches and I get air in, so even if you are using the pin (and not a sleeve) could be something to do with it being the 'edge' etc.

Definitely agree with Cheryl, thoroughly wash the liners when they are new, before you wear them, I also wash them several times, sometimes more, I just use antibacterial soap and rinse off, then dry with paper towel, and don't get too many problems as long as I don't 'scratch', scratching is fatal and usually causes more probs. I recently though used spray plaster on my leg in that area,where I had scratched (!) as it had become sore, and it did work, I suppose by protecting the skin.

Hi Kevin

I am a bilateral b/k also, and do get itching from time to time, actually get more itching from the suspension sleeve which is made from silicone than the actual liner, that I think is made from urathane or similar (but not silicone). I don't know if you are using the pin suspension, or the sleeves, but I also get raised follicles where the edge of the liner and the sleeve connect, and really bad itching sometimes if the sleeve bunches and I get air in, so even if you are using the pin (and not a sleeve) could be something to do with it being the 'edge' etc.

Definitely agree with Cheryl, thoroughly wash the liners when they are new, before you wear them, I also wash them several times, sometimes more, I just use antibacterial soap and rinse off, then dry with paper towel, and don't get too many problems as long as I don't 'scratch', scratching is fatal and usually causes more probs. I recently though used spray plaster on my leg in that area,where I had scratched (!) as it had become sore, and it did work, I suppose by protecting the skin.

hi this is kevin thanks for your reply you say you use spray on skin can you buy this or have you to get it from your doctor

It is a spray on 'plaster' you can buy from your local chemist (pharmacy)

I was having a terrible problem with itching and blistering. My prosthetist had me try Monistat Cafing Relief Powder-Gel. It was created for relief around bikini lines, so you will find it in your drugstore in some intersting sections. Its a little pricy - around $6 US, soe try and get some coupons if you can. Bottom line- this stuff really works, and it has a rubbery type of finish that doesnt cause your liner to slip off, like most lotions.

I also use the Monistat. Good stuff.

Me too.... :happy:

I was having a terrible problem with itching and blistering. My prosthetist had me try Monistat Cafing Relief Powder-Gel. It was created for relief around bikini lines, so you will find it in your drugstore in some intersting sections. Its a little pricy - around $6 US, soe try and get some coupons if you can. Bottom line- this stuff really works, and it has a rubbery type of finish that doesnt cause your liner to slip off, like most lotions.

thanks so much i have tried allsorts of things and nothing as worked as yet so i will give it a try thanks for taking time to try and help