Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lauramc

Stains on polyurethane skins?

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on removing stains from polyurethane skins?

It turns out that a pair of black shoes I have leach dye into the skin of my prosthetic. This results in my foot looking perpetually grubby. Besides replacing the shoes (which I have), any tips for fixing the dye stain that's already there?

I have the same problem from a pair of sandals. I've tried everything. My foot is just a standard footshell. I can get the average dirt off using Windex or Scrubbing Bubbles, but I haven't found anything to room the reddish brown stain from those sandals.

Try some alcohol. Maybe see if your leg guy has something.

Thanks Neal and Marie. I should've added - I feel like I've tried everything: rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, oxyclean, a super-specialized dye stain remover, hair spray (it works on ink!), Mr.Clean magic eraser, bleach...

I think the answer is a new skin, I was just wishful thinking.

Hey, if you can get a new skin, go for it!

I also had a pair of black sandals that leeched onto my skin and I used everything; nail polish remover, alcohol, Mr. Clean eraser etc. and nothing worked. My prosthetist had to order a new skin and we went with Skinergy from RSL Steeper and it's a much better skin. Washes off easily with soap and water.