Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mary Farquhar

Two Weeks Till Surgery

Hi Everyone!

Hope you all had a good time at the ACA Conference. As the big day is coming nearer I am getting more nervous and feeling all emotions still. I realize this is normal. Now my mind seems to be playing on me.

I am second guessing everything. Hate the sick feeling! I have been doing great, and staying positive but seems like the other side is coming through now..lol!

Mary

Hang in there, Mary. Don't second guess yourself. You're going to be fine. In fact, you'll be better than fine. There was a woman at the conf who was actually having her amp the week following the conf. After being there, she was no longer scared. And neither was her husband.

Wish you all the best.

Thanks Marie! Yes, I have been talking to the woman who was at the conference. I think she has a lot more pain then I do. I really don't have as much pain as others do. The one thing I am worried about is that after going to a bk, that I will be limited in how far I can walk without pain starting.

I wish I would have been able to attend the conference. Would have been so helpful right before surgery.

Mary

Hi Mary - are you limited in the amount of walking before the pain begins now? I was under the impression that you were?

Hi Flip, soon as I am in my prosthetic the discomfort starts and then the pain. My prosthetist has tried many different things, but with my type of amputation I am very limited with prosthetics.

Mary

Remember, the part that's hurting now will no longer be there. Think about how great that's gonna be!

Thanks Marie! Yes, I have been talking to the woman who was at the conference. I think she has a lot more pain then I do. I really don't have as much pain as others do. The one thing I am worried about is that after going to a bk, that I will be limited in how far I can walk without pain starting.

I wish I would have been able to attend the conference. Would have been so helpful right before surgery.

Mary

Best of luck with the surgery Mary.

Didn't quite understand your comment are being limited in walking after the surgery, initially you will most probably have some pain when walking, but that should gradually settle down, and I imagine that side of things better for you than is the case at the moment. Take care, and hope everything goes to well.

Thanks Marcia and Ann! Yes I know I will have some pain when I start to put weight. I just found out that I have to stop all arthritis meds one week before surgery..great! My arthritis is already acting up

so to stop all meds will definately make my joints swell and I will be stiff. Lots of fun! Trying to stay positive and not let everything get to me.

Yesterday I bought a dress, the first dress in many, many years. I am excited to get a nice leg so I can wear all the nice fashions.

Mary

Thanks Marcia and Ann! Yes I know I will have some pain when I start to put weight. I just found out that I have to stop all arthritis meds one week before surgery..great! My arthritis is already acting up

so to stop all meds will definately make my joints swell and I will be stiff. Lots of fun! Trying to stay positive and not let everything get to me.

Yesterday I bought a dress, the first dress in many, many years. I am excited to get a nice leg so I can wear all the nice fashions.

Mary

Mary,

Can you use something like Tylenol for pain before surgery? Jon has terrible arthritis and the problem with joint replacements is that he has to stop his arthritis meds too....They have him take tylenol to help out somewhat......

Check with them to find out......can't hurt.....

Mary,due to travelling I have been a little bit distant to this forum.I am very glad to know that your surgery is within the next days and I am sure that everything will go fine after such a long period of incertainties until your final decision.From now on you'll have another quality of life and will enjoy it intensively.I am happy to know that you are already looking for nice fashion and with your new leg in the near future you certainly will be a nice and attractive lady living your new life in a way that you didn't know anymore during your last years.Everything will go well;all the best for your amputation and keep us informed.

Joachim

LAK+LAE

Thanks Joachim! Higgy...I have severe arthritis as well. I am in a flare up right now. Behind

my knees are swelled and fingers are swelled as well. Bad timing! I am taking advil right now 3x's a day.

I will be calling my Rheumatlogist tomorrow to see if I can keep taking the advil. The flare up has been up and down for the last 2 weeks. I haven't had a flare in many, many years.

I am all ready for my surgery...excited!

Mary