Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

A new bionic knee promises to act like the real thing.

That price must include full fitting including socket manufacture, check sockets, a follow up etc. (and a great foot!) - if it doesn't, ANY knee that costs $95k just isn't worth it in my honest opinion.

I really think that I must be missing something, or expecting too much from a ridiculously expensive leg , what this u tube clip was demonstrating is nothing that I don’t do on a bog standard NHS issue knee and foot,

I am old , unfit ,over weight, nothing special, but I go up and down far rougher ground than what was demonstrated & that’s after or during a ten mile hike , for that sort of money I would expect it to carry me all the way . I am really sorry but I expect a far better demonstration than that if they wanted to part me from my hard earned money.

However after saying all that I wonder what I could be capable of if I ever had a chance to wear one of these? Guess I will never know.

I really think that I must be missing something, or expecting too much from a ridiculously expensive leg , what this u tube clip was demonstrating is nothing that I don't do on a bog standard NHS issue knee and foot,

I am old , unfit ,over weight, nothing special, but I go up and down far rougher ground than what was demonstrated & that's after or during a ten mile hike , for that sort of money I would expect it to carry me all the way . I am really sorry but I expect a far better demonstration than that if they wanted to part me from my hard earned money.

However after saying all that I wonder what I could be capable of if I ever had a chance to wear one of these? Guess I will never know.

The truth is mick, I reckon you'd be capable of less probably! You put the effort in and get the return by developing you residual musculature. You are fit, whatever you say. The Genium would make you less fit, some of your muscles would atrophy and you'd be worse off. You're lucky you can't afford it!

I had a talk with the guy wearing one at the ACA conference..............Bill, I think is his name. Nwo, I have been aware of what was in play over the past few years. The Genium is the end product of a knee build for the US military.

So, I says to "Bill".......is there really much difference between this and th C leg2?............which I wear.

"Well', he say "there's longer battery life"..........not a factor to me.

"It's water proof to three feet depth"..........not a factor to me.

"Hey", I ask "how many modes does it have?" I ask. "Six" he says..........

"Do they shift from one to another automatically, like they were trying to get it to do?" I ask..........."NO" he says.............not a factor to me!!.........I have two modes and have never figured out the second one.

"How much", I ask.................."ABOUT TWICE THE COST OF THE C LEG2".....is the answer.

My opinion, I see no advantage so far in this knee over what I already have and am still trying to master.

It's also my understanding that the Otto Boys are still going to market the C Leg2 as well as other cheaper thingies.

I think that they would have been better off trying to improve their service and quality of repair to the products they already had. Methinks I may look further into the Plier 2.0 unit. People seem to be quite happy with it so far.

ED

Impressive knee (way too expensive IMHO), but it's a shame he feels he still has to vault ... albeit slightly. :sad:

I have not been on this site for a long time. I have just recently been fitted with the Genium knee. It was the first one fitted to a civilian as these have only been available to the military until now. I spent three days with Otto Bock and the following is what they told me. This knee is in limited release to 5 different countries. Canada will get 6 of these this year. This knee was developed in cooperation with the American, British and Canadian military. The cost for the knee only is a little over $50K.

For the last three years, I have used a Plié knee. I found this knee to be good and quite liked it, but it did have a lot of problems and I had it repaired at least 7 times in that time. The manufacturer was good as they always sent a replacement quickly every time. All in all I liked the Plié. Now to the point!!!

I have wore this new Genium for a week and in my opinion.... It is fantasic. I have never been so comfortable in the use of a leg. I have now started to walk up stairs leg over leg (and am using muscles for the first time in years). This leg will not cause atrophy but will probably increase muscle mass. In 18 years of being an amp, I have never been so happy with the performance of a leg (and I have always been very easy to please). I do not know what the future will hold and only time will tell, but if this knee continues to perform and is free from problems, I will be a very happy person. By the way, it comes with 6 year warranty which tells me that Otto Bock has a lot of confidence in it.

It does have 6 different settings 2 of which can be set by the foot and all by the remote. You can also adjust (limited) the settings with the remote to suit different circumstances. So only time will tell on it's reliability.

Jeff

This is really good to hear, I've got to replace my C-Leg in March and I'm really struggling to decide if the Genium is worth the extra £3000 per year.

Please keep us updated with how you get on with it. Especially interested to know how long the battery lasts in real life. I spoke to Otto Bock about it and they said "up to" eleven days which is a bit like my phone (if idont use it).

What settings do the different modes change? I find the second mode on the C-Leg a little pointless as it isn't a walking mode does the Genium improve on this?