Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Dave 06

Cruising on a ship

Im going on a cruise to the Bahamas and would like any hear from anyone who has done this. Im looking for any tips (amputee wise) to make this trip easier on me.

Dave, get yourself in touch with Ed (eddie103)....he's an adventurous guy and a cruisin' fool. He's recently back from another trip, so can probably offer some viewpoints on the state of current cruise ships.

I've not cruised since my amp, more due to finances than anything else, but I'm hoping I'll get another chance to be shipboard at some point in the future.

Have a great time on your trip!

Hey Dave. I'm jealous. Cruises are great. I went on one in Feb, 2010 to the Eastern Caribbean. Take a spare leg for use in the water. The currents are strong enough that it helps to have two legs on the ground. I also used the leg when I went snorkeling. That really wasn't necessary and I probably wouldn't do it again. Nothing else will be any different. The shower is quite small. I just leaned against the wall. The whole bath is small enough that you really don't have to hop much to get from one point to another. I did not take my crutches. I just had the two legs. The footshell fills with sand when you're on a beach. I went to the pool area where there was an outdoor shower to rinse out the shell. I will consider taking the shell off and having sandal tread glued to the bottom of the foot to keep this from happening in the future. Take some extra socks and liners. If you need spacer socks for the water socket, they will be getting wet and will take some time to dry. The liners will get wet, but should dry quickly. You might also want to pack a sleeve if you're going to do any parasailing or anything where you might lose your leg. The sleeve will give you some extra security.

Eddie does go on a lot of cruises. The big difference between him and you is that he is a DAK. His needs are different from yours.

Just go and have fun. You hardly know the boat is floating. If rocking occurs, you could end up on your butt if you don't have good balance. This is made worse if you are drinking at the time. Plenty of booze on those ships.

If you have a good time on this one, I'm planning an amputee cruise for Dec, 2012. We hoping for Amputee Coalition endorsement which would give us access to the Coalition databank. We've already got close to 100 people interested. We'll be making posts here when we have more information.

Have a great time.

Neal

My leg man got a very inexpensive foam/wood foot (I think it's about $150) and took some old pylon parts to put on my socket for being on beaches, lakes and rivers. As expected I don't walk as smoothly on that foot but I get around fine with it and for me it's *much* better than one of my expensive feet getting filled up with grit, water, sand or mud.

The footshell fills with sand when you're on a beach. I went to the pool area where there was an outdoor shower to rinse out the shell. I will consider taking the shell off and having sandal tread glued to the bottom of the foot to keep this from happening in the future.

You might also want to pack a sleeve if you're going to do any parasailing or anything where you might lose your leg. The sleeve will give you some extra security.

Dave & Neal,

I've tried removing my foot shell, but it changes the length of the leg creating a limp when walking.

I went parasailing last year in Atlantic City, but without my prosthesis as to limit my liability of losing it in the Atlantic Ocean.

I haven't been on a cruise since before my amputation, but I've been ready to go for some time, and just waiting for the right opportunity which will hopefully be soon.

Bon Voyage Dave!

If you remove the footshell Johnny, you need to add sandal tread which will usually bring the height back. The only thing you lack from others I've talk with is the width to fill out a waterski boot or a shoe. It does have some disadvantages, but it's the best for beaches.

I always take a sleeve with me when traveling. It adds that extra security that the leg will stay put. I do not intend to let my leg get in the way of me having fun. I want to be prepared for anything I want to parttake in.

I got in the ship's pool before venturing into the ocean with my leg. I didn't want to lose body parts to the depths of the Caribbean. LOL

I hope your cruising will come in Dec, 2012. :wink:

:::Travel by Cruise Ship:::

I have been, to date, on 15 cruise ships. Some trips, I was whole, the last several, I have been “modified”. Cruising is my choice of travelling. I enjoy the people I meet and I like the changing day to day itinerary. All inclusive resorts kind of bore me. I can only drink so much and I am no longer a beach person. It usually takes two days for the rest of the ship's population to get used to me and the sight of me. After that, I am one of them and they seek me out! This is because of my attitude on being what I am. I am not shy nor ashamed nor conscientious of what I am. I am ED......alive and superior to most. I maintain many friendships today with people I have met from all over the world.

I arrive at the dock via whatever means. I check in, register, give them my luggage etc and head up the gang way until I am on board the ship. Now some of these gangways can be a bit steep. To date, I have not been pushed up one.......................people offer but I refuse. Again, perhaps some day I will let someone push me on board.

I spend time finding my room, doff my legs 'cause I've been in them for a long time and away I go exploring the ship. First stop....the bar and available smoking areas. These become my favourite hangouts. My luggage will be delivered to my room by day's end so IF I need anything, I carry it with me for the first day.

I have been on Celebrity.....never again, Royal Caribbean several times (not for a while yet), Princess many times (but I find their quality has suffered over the years), never on Carnival yet (a much younger party crowd) and have recently settled on Holland America for several reasons. Holland America is kind of known for catering to the “older crowd”. Now not everybody on board is mega old but many are. In fact, on my last trip, two of them died at sea!!! I find that as an amp, I do not find myself fighting for an elevator and their ships are never crowded. The quality of service is great and the quality of food IS superior. I had the best porterhouse steak of my life on my last trip.

On any cruise ship, I function extremely well.............in legs or in chair. I get off at every port and because I can walk, I go on selected shore excursions no problem. Most times, I find myself at some incredible local bar and indulge myself in a lot of rum and watch “young things”. I always smuggle a wee bottle of local hootch under my ass when I return to the ship. The ship's security has never caught me to date. I am a happy camper if my bar bill for any cruise is under a thousand dollars!!

I will cruise until I can not!

ED

:::Travel by Cruise Ship:::

I have been, to date, on 15 cruise ships. Some trips, I was whole, the last several, I have been “modified”. Cruising is my choice of travelling. I enjoy the people I meet and I like the changing day to day itinerary. All inclusive resorts kind of bore me. I can only drink so much and I am no longer a beach person. It usually takes two days for the rest of the ship's population to get used to me and the sight of me. After that, I am one of them and they seek me out! This is because of my attitude on being what I am. I am not shy nor ashamed nor conscientious of what I am. I am ED......alive and superior to most. I maintain many friendships today with people I have met from all over the world.

I arrive at the dock via whatever means. I check in, register, give them my luggage etc and head up the gang way until I am on board the ship. Now some of these gangways can be a bit steep. To date, I have not been pushed up one.......................people offer but I refuse. Again, perhaps some day I will let someone push me on board.

I spend time finding my room, doff my legs 'cause I've been in them for a long time and away I go exploring the ship. First stop....the bar and available smoking areas. These become my favourite hangouts. My luggage will be delivered to my room by day's end so IF I need anything, I carry it with me for the first day.

I have been on Celebrity.....never again, Royal Caribbean several times (not for a while yet), Princess many times (but I find their quality has suffered over the years), never on Carnival yet (a much younger party crowd) and have recently settled on Holland America for several reasons. Holland America is kind of known for catering to the “older crowd”. Now not everybody on board is mega old but many are. In fact, on my last trip, two of them died at sea!!! I find that as an amp, I do not find myself fighting for an elevator and their ships are never crowded. The quality of service is great and the quality of food IS superior. I had the best porterhouse steak of my life on my last trip.

On any cruise ship, I function extremely well.............in legs or in chair. I get off at every port and because I can walk, I go on selected shore excursions no problem. Most times, I find myself at some incredible local bar and indulge myself in a lot of rum and watch “young things”. I always smuggle a wee bottle of local hootch under my ass when I return to the ship. The ship's security has never caught me to date. I am a happy camper if my bar bill for any cruise is under a thousand dollars!!

I will cruise until I can not!

ED

Sounds as you have found your calling Ed....Are these cruises expensive???

I do not find cruises overall, any more expensive then let's say, an all inclusive.................although my bar bill on board is always huge!!!

I just function really, really well on board a ship and meet an awful lot of people. With this last booking I made for the ACA endorsed "amputee cruise" that's happening next Dec 2012, I will have booked three cruises for next year.

I will mention though that any kind of trip does cost me more then a regular human being 'cause I travel alone and must pay the "single supplement" for my trips...............an aspect of me that truly sucks!!

ED