Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
pauls

Jeans

Hello

My prosthetic leg is a little bulky.

I find it quite difficult getting Jeans & Trousers that fit well.

They often look tight / rucked up on my prosthetic.

G Star used to make some baggy jeans which were great, but don't seem to sell them any more. In fact skinny jeans seem to be generally in.

Anyone know of any baggy jean styles easily available in the UK?

Or failing that, any recommendations for Tailors in the London area who could make casual trousers / jeans & perhaps have a bit of experience in fitting an amputee

Thanks in advance

Paul

I use bootleg jeans, they always work pretty well for me.... although thinking about it, I don't use a cosmesis, maybe that's why. But seriously, I think bootleg means they are made for people wearing boots so should be wider around the leg...

Good ole Levis used to come in a relaxed fit which allowed more room.

Although I am female, I buy men's easy-fit jeans from Matalan. They only cost £10-£15 but I really like them.

A couple of years ago I went to Oxford Street and spent hours trying on numerous jeans but could not find jeans to fit me (hip disarticulation amputee). I was prepared to pay A LOT for a good fitting jeans so the fact that not only have I found a good fitting pair but they are cheap it great.

Best Wishes.

Deirdre

Check out fox or Oakley jeans. They're reasonably priced and aimed at the skater market so tend to have a better fit for amps

Any cheap bootleg jeans are best for me.

And, I have to wear a size bigger (I also need to wear a belt :blush: ) than I have to because of prosthetic thigh size. The cosmesis shouldn't make any difference, but if you find most of the bulk is cosmesis just ask them to trim it down for you.

I never have, but I've heard of folks who have done so and swear by it. That includes one fellow who learned to sew and installed his own zippers......... :smile:

Has anyone taken a pair of jeans to a tailor and had them install a zipper long enough to allow for easy donning?

I have split seams and put in press studs, valcrove (not sure if I am spelling that correctly, but it didn't work particularly well anyway), added flares etc., always go for wide fit, or boot cut, but over the years have worn different types of prosthetics that have necessited different adjustments, initially though had to have all trousers individually made for me.

Has anyone taken a pair of jeans to a tailor and had them install a zipper long enough to allow for easy donning?

Yes, I have that done to all my jeans/slacks. Works great.

Speaking solely for myself, I'm using regular jeans. I manage with any jeans which fit my size.

Here is what works for me:

1. If possible, loose weight before getting your next socket. this will make it thinner.

2. if the socket includes an inner socket (soft or hard), you could ask your prosthetist to make another one without it.

3. insist on a tight fit. When getting a new socket you should get in with a single 1 ply sock or no socks at all. if you're going in with more, the socket is bigger than it needs to be. Note that such a tight fit should feel very comfortable. If it doesn't, ask your prosthetist to make a better job.

4. if you're wearing a cosmetic cover, ask for the ability to remove/add it at will. Covers usually bloat the leg and you don't need them anyway when wearing jeans.

Ofri.

Amputee-life.org