Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Well, this is something new for me.............

Stubby, they both sound like interesting ideas. "Thingy" seems to be more like a spot that serves as the "head" for something that's going on under the surface, instead of being the sore spot itself. (In other words, if someone touches "thingy" very, very gently, it does not hurt...but the pain increases massively as the pressure increases.) So if you've discovered something that did help dull the pain of a neuroma, I'd sure welcome the info! I know that you've been through just about everything on the pain front!

Actually, Neal, I do think it's limited to "whatever it can touch." I know that when I've used it on a sore tooth, it's been a tooth with a crack or cavity in it, so the Ora-Gel can reach the exposed nerves.

I'd think that it might actually work on a surface-level issue...the concern with it would be the idea of walking around with numbed skin being hidden away where (A) you can't see it and (B) it's under pressure from a socket.

Lovely idea though..............

My thoughts exactly Cheryl.....If a person used it simply because we were discussing it.. I could see the down side happening..just as you described it....

Actually, Neal, I do think it's limited to "whatever it can touch." I know that when I've used it on a sore tooth, it's been a tooth with a crack or cavity in it, so the Ora-Gel can reach the exposed nerves.

I'd think that it might actually work on a surface-level issue...the concern with it would be the idea of walking around with numbed skin being hidden away where (A) you can't see it and (B) it's under pressure from a socket.

Lovely idea though..............

My thoughts exactly Cheryl.....If a person used it simply because we were discussing it.. I could see the down side happening..just as you described it....

I agree, I've got grafting, so if something is painful or sore, its a warning sign for me, so for me anyway, numbing the area but keeping walking on it, could cause problems.

Well, the beat goes on......

I thought perhaps I'd turned a corner yesterday..."thingy" was noticeably smaller and less angry-looking yesterday morning, and I managed to align all of the various accommodations around and over it...and while it still hurt, it was diminished enough that I could actually get out and walk around for a while! It was grand!

Unfortunately, that level of activity got everything all irritated again. This morning, "thingy" was back to its good old big, angry self and I was hobbling again. :unsure:

Oh well....each day I can keep on going with it is one more day closer to getting a diagnosis and a plan of action, right? Right??

Sorry to hear that "thingy" was playing up again today Cheryl. Notice that you say about level of activity, is there anything else different you can think about? maybe you slipped down deeper etc. etc., or maybe continuous pressure etc. Just wondered if you had another prosthesis you could swop over with for a few days, this is something that works for me 'sometimes', or maybe you just have to rest up for a while. Hopefully you will get your diagnosis and plan of action soon now.

That usually works for me too Ann. Seems that the pressures from a past socket are different and I can get some relief.

Do they still not know what "thingy" is? That is ridiculous. You could have had the thing removed and be on your way back to walking.

Ann and Neal, I do have one old socket laying about, but it's truly immense and I'm likely to just sink in and "disappear" into it, never to be seen again! I do think that I most likely had enough volume change on my "good" day on Monday to slide me down a little bit and probably contributed to the return of the irritation. The rate I'm going at, I'll have little "windows" installed in my entire wardrobe of stump sox soon............

Yesterday I tried my own little "accommodation." I took a self-adhesive, donut-shaped callus cushion and tried placing it over "thingy." It was large enough that the most raised and tender part of "thingy" fit inside the center hole, so I hoped that it would help keep the pressure off. No such luck: "thingy central" did just fine, but the "suburbs of thingy" all fired off in a painful blaze of glory. So today I stayed home, sat down, and rested a lot. (Sigh.....)

Neal, the original plan was to wait for the biopsy results before making a decision on treatment. Unfortunately, my dear little "thingy" seems to be a fairly low priority for the lab...I'm sure that there are actual "appears to be malignant" samples that have been pushed ahead of "thingy." I'd been warned that it could take as long as two weeks to get a result...it's now been one week, so hopefully soon...soon...soon...

Doctor said I should e-mail him if I hadn't heard a report on the biopsy by the end of this week, and he'd try to shake it out of them...so we'll see......... :wink:

Yesterday I tried my own little "accommodation." I took a self-adhesive, donut-shaped callus cushion and tried placing it over "thingy." It was large enough that the most raised and tender part of "thingy" fit inside the center hole, so I hoped that it would help keep the pressure off. No such luck: "thingy central" did just fine, but the "suburbs of thingy" all fired off in a painful blaze of glory. So today I stayed home, sat down, and rested a lot. (Sigh.....)

I have tried those too Cheryl with the same result, sorry should have warned you.

Well, here's the latest...I really crashed and burned yesterday. Didn't sleep well the night before, and "thingy" was joined by some new rough, red, and itchy skin in several patches. (According to my CPO, my previous red patches were caused due to gaps in my old liner...the new liner seems to fit well, so I'm not sure what's up with that...may need to take it in for another check-up. Sigh....) I left the leg off entirely for the past couple of days and retreated to my wheelchair. Very depressing...but it did seem to help some. So I guess until we settle on a treatment plan, I'll just continue to go legless unless I really, really need to go out.

I'm calling the surgeon tomorrow to see if he can wrest a biopsy report from the lab...I'm starting to feel like my entire summer is just getting eaten alive by "thingy." Oh, well......things could be worse!

Like you say could be worse Cheryl.

Think at these times we just have to get into a different mindset, I had about 3 or 4 weeks out of one mine, about this time last year.

Cheryl, could you post a picture of thingy? Maybe someone else has had one and would recognize it.

Hang in there Cheryl. Sounds like another one of lifes challenges that you are having to face. You seem to be doing the best that you can with the circumstances given. We are all hoping for a favorable outcome for you, and soon.

Thanks, gang! I'm doing OK...good to know that I'm still able to get around one-legged, at least. (I've gotten so used to the prosthesis that I wondered about my ability to uni-ped it!)

That's an excellent idea, Marcia! I'll see if I can get a good shot of "thingy" and stick it up here if I can!

And here's "thingy"....................!

Thingycloseup.jpg

Today, we finally got a diagnosis for the little devil. It's not malignant...it's not a wart...it's not a mole...it's not a cyst. "Thingy" is hyperplasia and parakeratosis...in other words just a really, really major case of irritated skin that's thickened to the point where it's pushing on nerves. The surgeon does not recommend removing it (hooray!)...but he does recommend not doing anything to cause "further trauma" to "thingy" until it's had time to heal on its own. In other words, I'm going to be legless for a good while. Sooooo.....I guess I'm really happy that I chose the "wheelchair-friendly" apartment complex when I moved up here!

Next step, I suppose, is to bring my primary care doctor and my CPO up to date and try to come to a decision on when we try to recast me...I just hope it won't be too long.........and so it goes........... :blush:

Sorry you're going to be legless for a while but glad you got an answer. At least you know it WILL heal. Take care and try to be patient.

Sorry that you are going to be wheelchair bound for a while but glad you are going to avoid surgery and that whilst a pain it is not anything more serious.

Yeah, I'm glad that it's only been painful and is not truly harmful! "Thingy" is getting a professional portrait taken tomorrow, to be sent off for a dermatology consult. I'm hoping that they'll have some suggestions for speeding up the healing process, but it's looking a little better (and becoming a little less tender) with each passing day. In the meantime, I'm doing fine in wheelchair mode........

Thanks for putting up with all my ranting, gang! :biggrin:

That's wht we are here! :laugh::cool:

Yeah, I'm glad that it's only been painful and is not truly harmful! "Thingy" is getting a professional portrait taken tomorrow, to be sent off for a dermatology consult. I'm hoping that they'll have some suggestions for speeding up the healing process, but it's looking a little better (and becoming a little less tender) with each passing day. In the meantime, I'm doing fine in wheelchair mode........

Glad to hear that its nothing too serious Cheryl, and hopefully will heal up soon ... glad that you're managing ok in wheelchair mode.

Update time again...........

Oh, how I wish that we'd figured out that "thingy" was basically a skin growth much, much sooner than we did! Dermatology has prescribed two different meds for me: a steroid cream for the rough and red patches, and a combination moisturizer and alpha-hydroxy acid to apply to "thingy" a couple of times a day. They're both working quite well!! :biggrin:

I'm still legless and in the wheelchair, but the red patches have started to fade and stopped stinging and itching...and "thingy" is shrinking, starting to dry out and look like a "regular" skin problem, and even starting to flake away around the edges!

I can actually believe that there's a light (and a new, better-fitting socket) at the end of this tunnel........yippee!

Glad things are getting better Cheryl, am sure you will be back on your leg in no time. Some years ago, after an infection which had upset the skin was given a steroid cream and moisturizer and I found they worked really well together too.

Glad you're on the mend Cheryl. Do they know what caused "thingy" to rear his ugly head in the first place?

Neal, they've described "thingy" as just a very, very severe reaction to skin irritation. It's location has always been a "tricky" spot for me...it's a slight indentation, right next to the end of my tibia. I've always had a tendency to develop small, non-painful rashes on that spot and have always had to be careful to keep it as clean and dry as possible. I guess that, given the recent changes going on with my socket fit, "clean and dry" just wasn't enough! (And there I was, thinking that I'd just wait until "everything had cleared up" before going ahead with a new socket...sigh........)

Once "thingy's" made its exit, we're recasting me ASAP!