Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Well, this is something new for me.............

Neal, they've described "thingy" as just a very, very severe reaction to skin irritation. It's location has always been a "tricky" spot for me...it's a slight indentation, right next to the end of my tibia. I've always had a tendency to develop small, non-painful rashes on that spot and have always had to be careful to keep it as clean and dry as possible. I guess that, given the recent changes going on with my socket fit, "clean and dry" just wasn't enough! (And there I was, thinking that I'd just wait until "everything had cleared up" before going ahead with a new socket...sigh........)

Once "thingy's" made its exit, we're recasting me ASAP!

Hi Cheryl

How's thingy? You won't believe this but this week I too have developed a 'thingy' so am also wheelchair bound at the moment. Mine started up like an inflamed hair follicle, but has stayed raised and red and taking a bit too much time to go ... an attempt to put the liner and leg back on only inflamed it worse so at the moment am sitting it out and hoping it clears soon.

Ann

Ann, good luck in your battle with your own thingy! My "thingy" is slowly but surely improving...I tried wearing my leg on Friday (while remaining mostly in the wheelchair), but things got pretty irritated by the end of the day. Soooo...I guess I have a little more "legless" time before going upright again, but I should be "back to normal" soon.

Meanwhile, I've gotten so darned good at this "wheelchair" business.......! :laugh:

It's hard Cheryl, but something you have to do in order to get rid of "thingy".

Ann, good luck in your battle with your own thingy! My "thingy" is slowly but surely improving...I tried wearing my leg on Friday (while remaining mostly in the wheelchair), but things got pretty irritated by the end of the day. Soooo...I guess I have a little more "legless" time before going upright again, but I should be "back to normal" soon.

Meanwhile, I've gotten so darned good at this "wheelchair" business.......! :laugh:

Do you know Cheryl, whenever I get something kind of major with one of my legs that puts me back in the chair full time for more than a few weeks, I start off by having a good moan and finding everything a major pain, then adapt again and by the time I am back on the legs find I am getting quite used to it. LOL

My own "thingy" seems ok...ish now, think it was just an inflamed follicle and am back on the legs now, though keeping an eye on it as the legs are not fitting particularly well.

Best of luck Cheryl and glad things are improving.

Ann

Neal, they've described "thingy" as just a very, very severe reaction to skin irritation. It's location has always been a "tricky" spot for me...it's a slight indentation, right next to the end of my tibia. I've always had a tendency to develop small, non-painful rashes on that spot and have always had to be careful to keep it as clean and dry as possible. I guess that, given the recent changes going on with my socket fit, "clean and dry" just wasn't enough! (And there I was, thinking that I'd just wait until "everything had cleared up" before going ahead with a new socket...sigh........)

Once "thingy's" made its exit, we're recasting me ASAP!

Cheryl, is it a NO-NO to squeeze it I don't think I could leave it alone. :blink:

Hey, gang...real progress appears to be happening! I tried my leg again, day before yesterday, and had much much less irritation from it! Hooray! :laugh:

It did take me some time to get back into my socket, as my stump has gotten "fat and lazy" over the past few weeks...amazing what three weeks can do......... But eventually everything "shifted" and allowed me to don the leg, and I think the extra volume may have helped mitigate the socket's fit problems some.

I'll have to touch base with the doc and CPO on Monday, but the way I see it now, I'm probably have to just keep increasing the time I spend in the leg until my stump shapes up again, and then get cracking on a better-fitting socket.

It felt so good to walk again, even if it was only briefly! :smile:

Hey, gang...real progress appears to be happening! I tried my leg again, day before yesterday, and had much much less irritation from it! Hooray! :laugh:

It did take me some time to get back into my socket, as my stump has gotten "fat and lazy" over the past few weeks...amazing what three weeks can do......... But eventually everything "shifted" and allowed me to don the leg, and I think the extra volume may have helped mitigate the socket's fit problems some.

I'll have to touch base with the doc and CPO on Monday, but the way I see it now, I'm probably have to just keep increasing the time I spend in the leg until my stump shapes up again, and then get cracking on a better-fitting socket.

It felt so good to walk again, even if it was only briefly! :smile:

So glad to hear of your progress Cheryl, fingers crossed for you.

:biggrin: "Thingy" has disappeared! :biggrin: Hooray and hallelujah!! I've been able to wear my leg for up to 12 hours a day before things start feeling irritated, and most of the time I can get around without too much discomfort from the socket. Sock management is still a bit of a problem, especially early in the day (a half-sock doesn't provide enough support; a full-length sock provides too much until my volume starts to change), but I can live with this until I'm re-casted.

The new challenge is getting back to walking reasonable distances...I'm finding myself getting tired after covering very little territory. But I'm working on that, and it's slowly improving.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, gang...I really do think I'm over my complaining and griping now! :wink:

:biggrin: "Thingy" has disappeared! :biggrin: Hooray and hallelujah!! I've been able to wear my leg for up to 12 hours a day before things start feeling irritated, and most of the time I can get around without too much discomfort from the socket. Sock management is still a bit of a problem, especially early in the day (a half-sock doesn't provide enough support; a full-length sock provides too much until my volume starts to change), but I can live with this until I'm re-casted.

The new challenge is getting back to walking reasonable distances...I'm finding myself getting tired after covering very little territory. But I'm working on that, and it's slowly improving.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, gang...I really do think I'm over my complaining and griping now! :wink:

:laugh: YEAH :laugh: Keep up the forward motion Cheryl :excl:

:biggrin:"Thingy" has disappeared! :biggrin: Hooray and hallelujah!! I've been able to wear my leg for up to 12 hours a day before things start feeling irritated, and most of the time I can get around without too much discomfort from the socket. Sock management is still a bit of a problem, especially early in the day (a half-sock doesn't provide enough support; a full-length sock provides too much until my volume starts to change), but I can live with this until I'm re-casted.

Really pleased for you Cheryl, you'll get back to where you were, remember baby steps and gradually build them up.

WooHoo!!!! I'm still struggling to gain some energy back. It takes a bit after being off for a few weeks. Like everyone said, take baby steps. We don't want a relapse.

Hi, gang...just checking in with a new update. I'm going tomorrow for my first check socket fitting (yay!), and am looking forward to seeing how this new leg guy handles fittings.

I'm still having to alternate between "leg days" and "no leg days," but the "leg days" are long enough that I can get some actual stuff done on them...so overall, tings are going well!

Well, I've been through two check-socket fittings now...and I'm really impressed! The new socket looks to be a fantastic fit...my "new guy" even got my little relief for the end of my tibia right on the very first try. The new socket is being laminated now, and I should be able to pick it up next Wednesday. I'm sooooo excited! There's also a chance of a new foot, with an actual articulating ankle, if my CPO can talk my HMO into it...so for anyone out there who has a real, live moveable ankle on their leg, how do you like it and what might I have to be aware of when starting to use one?

Now for a minor complaint...not about the new leg team, but about my family and friends! I've decided to go ahead with a "naked leg" look on this one, and have found some lovely fabric to have laminated to the socket. I'm really looking forward to this...but so far, the ABs around me have been less-than-enthused about the whole idea. "Why would you want to do that?" they ask. "You have such a lovely real-looking leg!" So I explain that I've always had a love-hate relationship with the cosmesis, and now that I'm not in a business setting I'd just like to have something that I don't have to worry so much about staining, denting, or otherwise damaging. I want a pretty socket and an easy maintenance leg that doesn't get caught up in the legs of my slacks. And then they sigh and say something like, "well...I guess it's your leg, after all...." with a distinct lack of conviction. Sometimes they add something like, "so will it be like your water leg then?" with an equal lack of enthusiasm.

Well, yes, it IS my leg! And it's going to be nowhere near as utilitarian-looking as the water leg! Am I being unreasonable to expect them to at least reserve judgement until they actually see the "naked leg?"

Well, I've been through two check-socket fittings now...and I'm really impressed! The new socket looks to be a fantastic fit...my "new guy" even got my little relief for the end of my tibia right on the very first try. The new socket is being laminated now, and I should be able to pick it up next Wednesday. I'm sooooo excited! There's also a chance of a new foot, with an actual articulating ankle, if my CPO can talk my HMO into it...so for anyone out there who has a real, live moveable ankle on their leg, how do you like it and what might I have to be aware of when starting to use one?

Now for a minor complaint...not about the new leg team, but about my family and friends! I've decided to go ahead with a "naked leg" look on this one, and have found some lovely fabric to have laminated to the socket. I'm really looking forward to this...but so far, the ABs around me have been less-than-enthused about the whole idea. "Why would you want to do that?" they ask. "You have such a lovely real-looking leg!" So I explain that I've always had a love-hate relationship with the cosmesis, and now that I'm not in a business setting I'd just like to have something that I don't have to worry so much about staining, denting, or otherwise damaging. I want a pretty socket and an easy maintenance leg that doesn't get caught up in the legs of my slacks. And then they sigh and say something like, "well...I guess it's your leg, after all...." with a distinct lack of conviction. Sometimes they add something like, "so will it be like your water leg then?" with an equal lack of enthusiasm.

Well, yes, it IS my leg! And it's going to be nowhere near as utilitarian-looking as the water leg! Am I being unreasonable to expect them to at least reserve judgement until they actually see the "naked leg?"

Great news!

And no it isn't unreasonable, but it is understandable. They just can't relate to being an amputee, why should they? It's not their intention, they just don't get it... I wouldn't think ill of them for it, but when they see how neat it looks and get used to it, they won't think about it.

I don't think about what other people think if I can help it. I just find that puts me in a better place mentally, it's worked for me over the years. If I ever get into a serious converstion about differences of opinion they usually come round... it is your life, your leg... maybe I'm being harsh, but I really can't see what business it is of anyone else. An analogy could be that if someone had a scar on their leg, should we all tell them they can't wear shorts in case we see it? of course not, what a ridiculous idea!

Good luck with the new socket!

Get it for yourself Cheryl. They'll see how nice it is. I get a lot of comments on how people like my leg. It's just something most people aren't used to seeing.

We'll need to see some pics for our approval. LOL

Hi Cheryl,

I'm a member of the naked leg club and I wouldn't change it even if I had the opportunity to do so. Additional weight is one factor but even more so my legs are what they are. One moves fairly well on its own but does require maintenance shaving at least a few times a year. The other can have magnets attached if I so choose. And the later can make a great, and rather unique, gonging noise when a horse shoe is tapped against it. Lastly - how many folks have a upper leg area that has "space for rent" room. In this political season think of the income potential.

With all these pluses would want to hide either one!

Jane

Thanks, gang...I am "getting it for me" and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it's going to look! I met with the tech who's doing the lamination and we discussed various ways of laying out the fabric (it's an abstract, all-over design in a variety of colors, looking sort of like marbled paper). In the end, he asked if I'd give him "creative license" to work out the placement, and I said "sure...have at it!" so there will be an element of surprise for me. :wink:

Jane, I love your sense of humor! I live in a fairly "political" community, so I probably COULD rent out display space on my socket to various candidates and issues! :laugh: