Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
clanrickarde

Adaptskin

How many of you are aware of a product called Adaptskin? I ordered a free sample and have been using it for three days and ...so far it seems to be a product that does what it says it does.

Applied after cleaning the residual limb it is absorbed and does provide what seems a barrier to protect skin from abrasion, friction and skin breakdown. It is not cheap...but I expect it lasts a while even if used twice a day.

Go to WWW.adaptlabs.com to order a free sample of the product.

How many of you are aware of a product called Adaptskin? I ordered a free sample and have been using it for three days and ...so far it seems to be a product that does what it says it does.

Applied after cleaning the residual limb it is absorbed and does provide what seems a barrier to protect skin from abrasion, friction and skin breakdown. It is not cheap...but I expect it lasts a while even if used twice a day.

Hi Clanrickarde,

I was given a jar in May 2010 when I received my new leg. It does work well when my stump/skin becomes irritated.

Before I was in a vacuum system, I was in a pin system and I used the Adaptskin...I think it is a good product and will help you when your socket isn't fitting correctly or something just isn't right. I agree, it does what it says it will. Since going to the vacuum system, my legs have been in excellent condition.

I know the Adaptskin is expensive, but I think it will help you until you can get things where you want them to be. Good luck!

I have continued to see improvement in skin condition despite raising my "stick" time in the leg. I average about 14 hours a day ....and overall the degree of perspiration is minimal. Adaptskin does help on the key weight bearing areas and behind the knee where some chafing tends to occur.

I look forward to the point where I go to some type of system that requires no suspension sleeve.

I've used Adaptskin for years. It is a wonderful product. My need for it was basically lubrication to keep the dreaded infected hair follicles at bay.

I won't be caught without it.

I have to agree!!!! I have been using Adaptskin since my first ACA conference, and it does all that it says it will...

For those of you who may not know, there are two viscosity's.. 50 and 90. The 90 is a lot heavier/thicker and is more for someone who is trying to cover something so that it won't get damp.. The 50 is a bit lighter, and lubricates more..

I once recommeded it to a friend who is a diabetic and had never worn a leg for long at all due to sores... Once they used it and got healed, they haven't slowed down at all....

A also have an area on my lip where a horse rared up and struck me with it's head when I was breaking it, splitting my lower lip open. Every year during cold weather it has split open since then. One winter while using it on an infected hair folical, I thought, why not... and used it on my lip. It healed in no time at all.. Now, I use it when they start getting dry from the cooler air and the scar tissue doesn't tend to split open either.. Something no lip ointment has ever succeeded in doing... Good Stuff!!!!!!!

I've recently tried Adaptskin and like it, but as Clanrickarde points out, the price may scare you off at $32.50 for a 3.75 oz. container.

Other great product choices that I have used with excellent results, have a much more comfortable cost, and can also be used for other skin conditions:

1. Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Jar under $5 for a 3.5 oz jar.

2. Fuller's Ultimate Skin Balm around $9 for 3.8 oz jar.

3. Monistat Soothing Care for around $8 for 1.5 oz tube.

It might be pricey, but I can usually get a year out of a jar if used sparingly on a daily basis. I haven't really needed it since I had the surgery to remove the scar tissue.

I love love the Monistat gel.

I'm sorta big on infection prevention, with so many surgeries happening in this house the last year.. (tomorrow makes #4 for the household) and not contaminating things.. I like the smaller travel sizes of Adaptskin as it is less to get contaminated since it is the smaller size.. But then again, as small of amount that has to be used of the 50 weight, it lasts a long time for me...

We had a fairly long discussion one day about the Monistat gel at the conference.. Why don't you and Johnny let the other's know about it..they may not of heard about it...

I'm sorta big on infection prevention, with so many surgeries happening in this house the last year.. (tomorrow makes #4 for the household) and not contaminating things.. I like the smaller travel sizes of Adaptskin as it is less to get contaminated since it is the smaller size.. But then again, as small of amount that has to be used of the 50 weight, it lasts a long time for me...

We had a fairly long discussion one day about the Monistat gel at the conference.. Why don't you and Johnny let the other's know about it..they may not of heard about it...

SOOTHING CARE® Chafing Relief POWDER-GEL

This breakthrough product is great for daily prevention and relief of chafing and irritation. The formula is unique: the easy-to-apply gel dries to form a silky, breathable barrier. It calms skin while preventing the irritation caused by moisture, heat and movement. It's also great for soothing skin.

• Non-greasy POWDER-GEL™ skin protectant formula with dimethicone. Dries to form a silky, breathable barrier to fight friction.
  • Prevents chafing and irritation caused by moisture, heat, and movement. Ideal for treating everyday intimate discomforts of athletes, plus-size women, new moms and bikini area waxers or shavers.
  • Fast-acting formula comforts chafed skin. Works with just one application.
  • Fragrance-free and non-staining. Discreet relief without damage to your undergarments.
  • Non-irritating formula with vitamin E and soothing aloe. Gentle enough for daily use on even your most delicate areas.

I use it everyday to put on my liner. After the conference Debbie told me she got some and it seems to have resolved her skin issues. Order 6 or 8 tubes at a time from Amazon.

I have also heard it can be used as a makeup primer!

Oops - should read "I" order 6 or 8 tubes at a time from Amazon.

Oops - should read "I" order 6 or 8 tubes at a time from Amazon.

Anyone know where I can buy this from in the UK. Looked on Amazon UK and not there.

Marcia will have to answer about Amazon, but Monistat is a feminine product that should be available at any drugist.

Actually, the monistat I use is not strictly a feminine product. What I use is Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel. Try this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Chafing-Powder-Gel-1-5-Ounce/dp/B0012ZNSWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1311190382&sr=1-1

I have two large containers of Adaptskin. It works great! Have your Prosthetists order it from Kingsley at 12 dollars for the large container. That's half what I paid. When I start to run low he said he would order it for me at his cost.

KB

That's quite a deal.

I have to ask my prosthetist if he is able to do that for me. Thank you for the suggestion. That price is more my speed!

(Sorry, I don't visit here often, so I've just picked up on this thread.)

Hi

I've taken a look at the links you've all added. Sadly, much of the stuff isn't easily available in the UK, as Ann says.

I'd like to know what's in a product before I buy it, so I wonder if anyone could post the 'ingredients' on this thread?

Also, I wonder, could people from the UK add what they use here, too?

:smile:

I find it to be the very best product for amputees. I have used it since the ACA convention in 2006. It is fantastic.

JudyH (Now JudyT)