Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kencor

Inappropriate noises

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone else had had embarrassingly noisy sounds emanating from their sockets when the air is forced around their liner with each downward step? Sounds very much like an inappropriate bodily function and I work in an office building that is so quiet it makes a morgue sound like a circus. Consequently I'm afraid to get up and walk anywhere without drawing unwanted attention.

I've tried a one ply sock, which reduces the noise but hardly eliminates it. I am going to see the prosthetist who built the leg in about a week but in the meantime I thought I'd ask if anyone has ever tried drilling a hole or two in their carbon fiber socket so the air can escape before it's squeezed between the liner and the socket? What would be the downside to that?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Ken, long time, no hear.

I've had that happen a few times when I was wearing a pin system. It does sound remarkably like that bodily function. If the one ply muffled it, then add another until it's gone. You can drill a hole or two in a pin system socket without compromising the fit. You don't dare do that in any other system as air in means no suction.

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

I say embrace it! :biggrin: I'm assuming most in your office know your an amputee? It's happened a time or two to me and I always laugh and say something funny.

Thanks guys.

I will try the additional ply Neal. It's a new leg so the fit is pretty snug already but I might be able to squeeze in another. It's a vacuum system but the socket is not part of the air containment. There are two liners and the air is trapped between them. The outside liner also has a pin so it's a pretty secure system as well as being comfortable. The biggest problem is that blasted noise.

Mad: I would embrace the noise but I'm not witty enough to come up with something humorous with every step I take, and that's how often it's sounding off.

Could there be a hole in one of the liners?

I have little rubber rings that fit on my pin. These seem to nearly eliminate noise.

Thanks. That was a good idea. I had one of those left over from a previous pin system so I tried it and it seems to help a little.

Could there be a hole in one of the liners?

Hi Marcia.

I wouldn't completely rule that out but the system is only about three weeks old so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks.

The only time I have had that happen was when I was in a pin system and the liners would also stretch out in the heat.

I use a pin system for everyday use and this occurs more often than not with mine as well. Due to the suspensioning that occurs within the socket of a pin system that air between the bottom of the liner and the socket must escape somewhere in a hurry which usually means up out the top of the socket. For me a 3 ply sock will eliminate this but I don't like adding more bulk than I have to. I also believe that drilling small holes in the socket won't help much due to the actual volume of air that must be displaced so quickly (path of least resistance I guess). I guess I don't have a solution for you but at the least I can share your experience.

-Kane

Went to the prosthetist today and found out what was causing the air to be forced out in the first place. The hollow pin which is an integral part of my vacuum system was plugged. Glad I didn't drill those holes in the socket.