Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Alicia

BKA prosthesis transition

Help! I have been a LBK for about 15 months and have been wearing a prosthesis for roughly a year and while I'm having several problems with fit that I'm working on with prosthetist I can't find the answer to this question. I like to wear skirts and heels or even casually longer shorts and I hate the top of the prosthesis and/or sock showing - What in the world do others do to cover up or make that transition smoother? I've tried a light weight nude colored suspension sleeve but it's so tight at the top I have thigh fat spillage (ugh!). I would love to hear what others do to hide the top of their prosthesis. Thanks!!

I'm not exactly "little miss fashion," Alicia, but there are a couple of things I can think of......

First off, if you're having fit problems on the prosthesis front (I read on another thread that you were looking at changing prosthetists over that issue), are you sure that the suspension sleeve was a proper fit? I also have problems with "thigh things" like liners that roll down on top and what-not...it's precisely why I do wear a suspension sleeve! It may take some time to find a sleeve that makes a flattering transition from prosthesis to thigh, but it does make for a "neater" look.

The other thing to think about is that, if you've got a good fit and a "tidy" look about it, most folks are not going to realize it's a prosthetic leg! I'm serious about that one! Over the years, I've had any number of people assume that I've "had knee surgery" because of my suspension sleeve...to the point that they just come up and start telling me about their OWN knee surgery. So consider just wearing whatever you like, keeping a smile on your face, and getting on out there! If the top of the leg bothers you at the moment, wear something just long enough to cover it when you're standing...if you're sitting, especially at a table, no-one's going to be interested in getting a gander at your leg. I wear crops if I want to "dress up" a bit in the summer...and shorts the rest of the time!

Accessories can make a big difference. If you have the time and patience to bother with pulling a thigh-high stocking over your prosthesis, that might make enough difference to you. (I do NOT have the patience for that!) If you wear accessories to accent your upper body -- a great blouse, interesting jewelry, a nice hairstyle -- folks will notice YOU and not "your leg." My favorite "accessory" (because I generally do have to carry one in crowded public situations) is a fabulous cane! My current one is lucite, clear and glossy...EVERYONE comments on the cane, asks where I got the cane, talks about someone in their lives who would LOVE that cane...and (unless they have a "knee surgery" story to tell) never even notices that the fabulous cane is supporting a prosthetic leg.

And then there's the "artistic" option, and one that I'm seriously considering for my next leg. I've always had a "real-looking" leg with a good cosmetic cover, at first because that's what my prosthetist suggested to me and then because it made my leg a "non-issue" at work and in business meetings. But there are some really BEAUTIFUL legs out there that make NO pretense of being "real"...they're literally works of art that express their wearers' personality. The sockets are painted, or "tattooed," or laminated with beautiful fabrics...the pylons are left bare and/or covered with something that is lovely but not-at-all real-looking...the feet may even be designed to go shoeless! In other words, if you've got it, flaunt it! :cool: It turns a simple tool for living into a personal statement of surviving and thriving.

So open your mind to all the possibilities out there...I can just about guarantee that, a few years down the line, you'll look back on these early days and wonder "what was I so worried about?"

Hi Alicia

I've been a bilateral b/k for quite a lot of years and understand the problems you are mentioning your have at the moment. Though if you are having problems with the 'fit' I can emphasize, and maybe that's part of the problem for you at the moment, as I know from experience when the prosthesis is not fitting, and not comfortable, nothing is really right, and I am guessing (again from experience) you are looking at things a bit differently from what you would be if the prosthesis was comfortable and you were not thinking about it so much.

Regards the sleeves, I also use the nude coloured ones, not sure of the type you are wearing, but there are many different types of sleeves, personally I don't like them super-tight, so if yours isn't comfortable talk to your prosthetist about something that might fit better, there are some types that are more 'tapered' to fit graduating leg sizes, so might be worth thinking about. I must admit I do tend to wear jeans quite a bit, but do wear skirts now and again. I'm in England and have a standard prosthesis, but do have the foam over and over the foam have a kind of knee high stockings which they supply, and over the top of that I put regular knee high stockings or tights, but I put the knee high stockings over the cuff bit of the sleeve that shows under the knee, that way it doesn't look so obvious. I also try and match up the colours of the stockings, sometimes putting two or three on to get a match, though granted matching the colour is easier being bilateral, but if you put a darker stocking or tights on, especially in the winter with thicker tights, its not particularly noticeable, and people who don't know me are often surprised to learn I am an amputee.

I have tried loads of different things over the years, and some work and some don't ... my latest discovery is open toed sandals, which I am sure people on here will say they've been wearing them for years, but I only got feet with 'toes' a few years back, so am experimenting again and brought a pair of my first sandals ever ! yeah really !<grin> and have taped the stocking which is covered over the foam to leave toes free, and painted on some nail varnish, i think it looks pretty good <grin>

But like Cheryl says there are lots of options particularly regards prostheses, but obviously a lot will depend on what you have access to, but you are in early days at the moment and I am sure you will find that once you are comfortable with the prosthesis and your confidence improves, everything else will fall into place.

As a 24 year old woman I can seriously empathise with you on this one. I've been trying to achieve this for years, with no luck unfortunately. I have a decent quality skin on my leg but the knee is still so ugly, I've considered the suspension sleeve to wear over the top, but also the muscle tone in my thigh isn't great and that might lead to some fat spillage haha.

Buying a super realistic leg with a better looking knee isn't really an option for me either (I hear they're ridiculously expensive and I don't even think they make them in this country). So my meantime solution is midi/maxi everything. My staples are highwaisted tapered pants, midi or maxi skirts, and I'll wear shorter dresses in winter with 2 pairs of opaque stockings. I am trying to get up the courage to go out in something shorter this summer... but I'm not quite there yet haha. Let me know if you find any solutions!

Hello Alicia,

I can understand your frustration on this one but do remember we ladies are never too young or too old (that's me, being on the wrong side of 60!) to worry about what people think about we look . As amps, we should feel challenged as to what we can and cannot do as regards our fashion statements. I am a left bk amp - two years now - and I discovered last winter that if you get some leg warmers (wooly) and wear them in a colour to match a skirt or dress peole tend not to notice the prosthetic! - Yes it's true you get a few looks but it is just so much better than seeing a leg made up of foam/plastic/resin and straps and buckles! The warmers just seem to hide things a bit better than tights. I am determined to find something that will camoflage the 'mechanisms' , in time for next summer. I did try cutting the sleeves off a dress and pulling one sleeve up over the leg. It certainly matched the outfit and one girl said it looked so cool! Howzat for an old 'biddy!'

If any girls have more ideas please keep them coming - we all want to look our best and to heck with what anyone thinks. Maybe we could start a 'fashion club'' with tips on how to make us look and feel great. I think we are all great anyway but sometimes a wee bit of boost comes in handy on these cold, dull and depressing days.

Go girl!!

Scotskate

Cat, what's the difference in these pants to normal 'jogging pants?' - Have I missed something here? Must say, they are reasonably priced.

Check this :biggrin:

Click Here

Cat, what's the difference in these pants to normal 'jogging pants?' - Have I missed something here? Must say, they are reasonably priced.

Check this :biggrin:

Click Here

To be honest I have no idea but I will support anyone who wants to improve our image.

Might be best to contact the people involved and find out. Will let you know if I get anything from them