Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Higgy

Cruise questions

I'm sure that we have covered this topic before, somewhere on here, but after registering for the Amputee Cruise 2012, I have questions popping up....

I haven't taken a cruise before so I want to ask the experienced people on the forum, what kind of tips you might have to a "newbie" on a Caribbean cruise....

Anyone have a tip or suggestion?

Eddie....where are you? I know that you have been on one or two cruises..... :smile:

Sorry.....I've been occupied........another trip I'm on..............

Tips.......the subject can be many to a newbie. I suppose then dividing line would be between a chair user and not a chair user.......in my mind.

Regardless of what amp you are, you are already responsible for all the tips etc that you need to survive and get along.......so that's taken care of.

-When arriving on the ship, you need to be prepared NOT to have anything or require anything in your luggage until the end of the first day. It takes ALL day for luggage to be sorted out and delivered.

- It will take you at least a couple of days until you retain your bearings on a ship......so carry your map or learn the ship's info system....otherwise you will never find your favourite bar again. I am constantly lost on any ship but it doesn't bother me. By the end of the trip you will finally have your bearings etc but then it's time to leave.

-When first arriving on a ship, find your room , drop off what you can and head up to the top or pool deck for departure.............it is an experience for the newbie!!

-IF you are a chair user and IF you are travelling alone as I do................get the damed lifepreserver down from the TOP shelf of your wheelchair accesssible room (pet peeve of mine on ant ship...............they just assume you are travelling with a normal and that you are F---d)

-It is the law of the sea that every trip has to have a lifeboat drill.........so we all will be required to don a life preserver and find our lifeboat staions etc...............actually it's a hoot.........but it does suck wearing one of these things while wheeling so I just drag mine behind me.

Other then that, there are no other tips per sec........except.............one's bar bill can add up real fast whithout one realising it. IF mine comes in under a thousand on a longer cruise then this one......I am happy.

ED

Just a few things to add.

#1 On Carnival, you no longer have to wear the life vest during Muster drill. You Just have to show up at your station ( Hint: The vests are in your room and are marked (Ex. Muster station D)and the location is marked on the map on your cabin door.

#2 While the pool areas are relatively "slip free", Caution should be taken in the areas leading to and from the pool as some are tiled and water is tracked by guests. Im only saying this after almost busting my butt on wet tile. To put smooth tile next to a pool area is insane (it was the buffee room).

#3 If you go for the "fine dining" at your selected time (ex 8:00pm/ table 123) Dont wait in line for the half hour like everyone else. Have a seat at the bar or lounge area and let the line go in ahead of you and just follow the end of it in. Your not going to miss anything and you wont have to stand in line. PS. This will be your table for the rest of the cruise and the people at your table (strangers) will also be the same. Good luck with that part. Our table mates where duds.

#4 suntan lotion/lip balm (so many people were fried not taking into account the reflections off the ocean and the constant "wind burn" if your out on the deck. (Im not refering to "tanning", just walking around.

Dave made some good suggestions Tammie. Sunscreen is very important and this comes from someone who doesn't burn easily. I got fried to a crisp on one excursion. My foot even swelled to the point I could barely wear a shoe. The sun is just more intense and the reflection off the water intensifies it even more.

Dave: If you are on Facebook, look up Amputee Cruise 2012. You should go with us. We've already booked 16 cabins in less than two weeks. It should prove to be a blast.

I'm sure that we have covered this topic before, somewhere on here, but after registering for the Amputee Cruise 2012, I have questions popping up....

I haven't taken a cruise before so I want to ask the experienced people on the forum, what kind of tips you might have to a "newbie" on a Caribbean cruise....

Anyone have a tip or suggestion?

Eddie....where are you? I know that you have been on one or two cruises..... :smile:

Probably better some drugs to stop seasickness! My Mom went on acouple of cruises & she said u could hardly know u were moving. {{{ME}}} I probably would need something to take or some patches. :unsure:

PS: have enough fun for Doc & I......and definately take some pictures.

Dave made some good suggestions Tammie. Sunscreen is very important and this comes from someone who doesn't burn easily. I got fried to a crisp on one excursion. My foot even swelled to the point I could barely wear a shoe. The sun is just more intense and the reflection off the water intensifies it even more.

Dave: If you are on Facebook, look up Amputee Cruise 2012. You should go with us. We've already booked 16 cabins in less than two weeks. It should prove to be a blast.

NEAL; Have a great time, u deserve it, but remember {this is g'ma ann} u just had surgery...not toooo much fun. :wacko:

Luckily I have a lot of time to fully recover from surgery before this cruise. I intend to have a lot of fun Ann.