Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve C

Tag rugby

I may have told this story (maybe not...) but it would have been years ago anyway so here goes.

I live in Ireland and lost my leg in 2000. I absolutely love rugby. I eat and breathe it. I'd love to play but with being in my 40's and with only one hind leg, tag rugby was my only alternative. Tag rugby is where you wear shorts with ribbons zelcroed on the sides and a tackle is made by pulling off a ribbon.

As I wouldn't be the quickest player on the team, after a tackle was made I would be the one to start the action again with the first pass. A bit like a scrum half if anyone follows rugby.

During one match I get the pass off and we start to pass it back and forth as we ran up the field. Then, most likely by accident, it was passed to me (the slow man). The try line was not too far off (a try line being the line on the ground that when crossed with the ball and after the ball is placed on the ground counts as 5 points). I decide to go for the try myself. I caught the other team unawares and made my break. I'm legging it up the pitch as fast as I can with the opposing team chasing me.

A few metres from the try line I feel the leg start to loosen up. Apparently, all the running had caused me to sweat and the sweat on my leg broke the suction on my suspension sleeve. I hoped beyond hope the leg wouldn't loosen any further. Unfortunately, the leg went east and I went west. I managed a few hops on the good leg before the big tumble. The player chasing me down nearly had a coronary. They said later that with my cosmetic cover and tall rugby socks they didn't know that I had a prosthetic leg. At worse, a bad knee with a knee support on it. They thought that, until my leg went solo. Suffice to say I was denied the try and the ball was turned over. Such is life.

A few weeks later I was at the professional rugby club, Connacht Rugby, to buy some tickets for a upcoming match. The person working the counter gave me a quick look in my shorts and asked 'Are you the fella whose leg fell off playing rugby?'. My legend precedes me.

Fabulous story...I love it! :biggrin:

Cool Steve....I had never heard the story. U ~ R a legend for sure. :wink:

Kind of unfair they didn't allow the try.

Kind of unfair they didn't allow the try.

Not at all. I'd want to earn it properly and I didn't get over the line. I don't play tag rugby anymore (where I moved to there isn't any teams) but if I go to watch Connacht play I always wear my Connacht jersey just in case they need an extra man. Maybe I'll still get my try...haha!