Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Shane

Opinions Wanted:

Hey Gang! :biggrin: It's been awhile, and i needed some input, so i thought i'd drop in and say "Hey!"

I'm thinking about the next knee and considering something without batteries. I've had a 1st generation Rheo, it was what the term POS was invented for. Lol! I'm currently in a C-leg, nearing the 3 year mark, meaning no more warranty work. And it just so happens, that's were my C-leg is now- having new seals put in and repairing some sort of glitch that has it shutting itself off.

So, back to the OP. I have alot of experience with the Mauch, and am proficient with it. Actually, the Mauch would be great, if only it had a mechanism to keep it from collapsing under accidental toe load- ie: navigating through woods, rocks... I am interested in the 3r80, i think. Anyone have any feedback about the 3r80, or suggestions of other candidates i should consider? I'd like to know about performance and longevity/maintenance. Again, my current leg is a C-leg. I am pleased with it, but looking to go non-electric...possibly.:unsure:

You know I know next to nothing about knees, Shane...but I wanted to say "hi!" Hope things are going well for you!

HI Cheryl! I hope everything is going well for you, too. I'm doing good. Though it's been a long time, my knee has been continuously improving since i saw you in LA...and my hair has been continuously growing since then, too! Putting together a "franken-bike" to start racing and hope to stretch it's legs in about a week and a half. Now, didn't you move up north? Well, N. Cali?

Hello Shane, I'm anxious to hear the replies to your question. I am interested in the same type of thing, a mech knee/leg that I can use for outdoors, hiking, canoeing, etc., that I don't have to worry about the battery dying, or of getting it wet or dusty. Hope to hear of some user's experiances with that knees that work, and provide good stability. Toe catching is an issue, just even walking down the woods in my property can be a challenge with tripping.

KX06 motorcross video

I work for the company so don't take this as promotion, I'm not promoting the knee... not intententionally anyway, but seeing that you ride a motorcross bike I couldn't resist giving you the link... the cylinder is like a Mauch, but the knee geometry is different... I know you don't wear a leg on your bike, but the guy on the bike is wearing a KX06, though he has a through knee disarticulation.

Hey 1BL! It's been awhile! I hadn't seen the KX06 before. It does resemble the Mauch cylinder alot. A friend of mine, Mike Schultz, has developed a knee called the "Moto Knee." Uses a Fox MB shock and spring with varying geometry. Works great for MX racing, but my forte' is crosscountry endurance racing(2.5 hours, wide open, Harescrambles, GNCC, etc.), tough i have raced MX and SX.(2 time X Games competitor, bronze at Extremity Games MX). I have been working on my own design for a long time, trying to come up with solutions to the shortcomings of the others. I'm using a mauch unit and variable spring assist in key locations during flexion. The connection at the foot peg is especially tricky and the biggest reason i still ride with no prosthesis. It's gotta hold tight,rotate,and yet break away in the event of a get off. Lots of oppurtunities for spills in 2.5 hours of tough terrain racing. I think i've got it figured out, just have to get back to it-after my race bike is in action. One of the big issues with the spring assisted knees is they are only good for the sport, and usually horrible for walking. For walking, mine will be a locked peg leg with an extremely small "foot." Unlock for riding.

Hey Dale!

Nice to "meet" you. I hope to get some input. My biggest issue with the Mauch is walking in the scabby stuff and get an accidental toe load, which shuts off stance and allows it to collapse. Otherwise, it'd be my top contender. (and i already have one!) May get to try a 3r80 soon. When things are going well, i am often known to go into the woods for 1-2 weeks camping and cutting trail. The C-leg just isn't real compatable with that type of thing. I actually think, with some sort of safety mechanism, i could be just as happy in a straight hydraulic as my C-leg. For that reason alone, the C-leg is brilliant.But it also somewhat dictates your pace.

That's a very effective video, OBL...it even made sense to someone like me, with no real knowledge of knees. Kudos to the company!

Shane, I'm glad to hear that your "real" knee is continuing to improve...it can take so frustratingly long for a heavily used joint to fully recover from an injury! And I want to see pictures of the "franken-bike!"

Yeah, I made the move up to NorCal just about a year ago, and I really, really love it. It's a huge change of pace from L.A.--I'm surrounded by farmland, vineyards, and tall trees, and on warm summer days there's a definite "dairy" scent to the air--but there's also a lot of opportunity for getting involved in the community and some extremely friendly folks up here. While there are still people and things about SoCal that I miss, I'm very glad I went ahead and relocated.

Here's a story for you: I'm living in an apartment complex that caters to an "older" (55+) crowd and has a TV lounge where a cinema group meets a couple of times a week for "movie night." I was recently selected as the new film coordinator for this group, and I've taken advantage of that to "expand my neighbors' awareness" on a variety of issues. Sooooo...I recently screened "Murderball" (!!) for our little band of senior film buffs. Tough, tattooed young guys playing quadriplegic rugby in wheelchairs built like Sherman tanks! It was quite wonderful...and even the little 90-year-old woman in our group found it fascinating. There was some general footage from the Athens Paralympic Games, in addition to the rugby matches and, overall, it gave the group a view of "disability" that they'd never considered before.

"Gee...it seems like they can do just about anything they want to," someone commented afterward. "Exactly!" I replied, and I shared some stories about the folks I know who just go on living their lives with a variety of challenges...including my trip to the X-Games to watch you race. The Rohnert Park Senior Citizens Film Club is quite impressed with you, my friend!

Hi Shane,

The KX06 is not heavily spring biased to extension so it fine for walking.

The way this rider keeps his foot on the peg is with a magnet. He has a large rectangular hole cut in the sole of his boot with a very big, very strong magnet set into it and protruding beyond the sole at the heel, kind of instead of the heel of the boot. The peg is modified to rotate on it's axis and has a block of ferrous metal welded to it. When the boot comes anywhere near the peg it is very strongly attracted to it. It doesn't ever come off, although in the event of a fall, the boot would 'peel' away from the peg. The forces during riding are different from those experienced during a fall. It works very well for him.

His main reason for wearing the knee is that all he tried before just fell apart after a week or so...

Sounds like a neat setup. I experimented with a magnet, but didn't have a real strong one. My concern is how a setup will work in the mud and muck, sand and rocks with the likelyhood of several get offs and remounts. The possibility of filth has nixed several of my previous ideas. Again, if i raced all MX, things would be much simpler. Short races, controlled environment. As of now, i'm thinking a roller type binding that gets stepped into may be the ticket. One of these days i'll get back at it. But, for now, i gotta stay focused on finishing my little war horse! Lol!

Anyone have experience with the 3R80?

Great web-site...can't believe U ride without a prosthesis. Doesn't it make U off-balance.

Balance isn't the issue you might imagine, really. Staying off the ground and connected to the bike are the biggest challenges. If things get outta whack, the only thing really connecting me to the bike is my hands. That's happened. Once, with both speed and height involved. It was ugly. And just under 2 weeks before i met up with Cherylm in LA.

I'm very interested in your post. Im currently on a Rheo 2, have been on it for about 2 years. It does ok for me, but having to charge it and weight are a issue.

Hopefully, i'll test drive a used 3r80 next week. Really anxious to see what it's like.

I'm obviosly super-late to the game here, but prior to my CLeg a few years ago, I was using a 3R80 for many years...best mechanical I've ever had. In fact, I was hesitant to go MP thinking it couldn't get any better than the 3R80. As it stands, I still have the 3R80 on an old set-up and use it for fishing and skiing...still works great.