Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kaneo

Crank Arm Length For Biking

My question is to those who still actively ride there bikes.

I am a RBKA and prior to my amputation would ride 60km to work twice a week. I have ridden my road bike a couple times since getting my prosthesis (with clipless pedals) but without an articulating ankle my seat height must be lowered to get a compete stroke on my prosthetic side and therefore I cannot achieve a full stroke on my sound leg (my leg does not come close to full extension).

My question is has anyone tried custom crank arms? My thought would be to have a 175mm crank for my sound leg side and approximately 130mm for my prosthetic side. There are a few companies who do custom crank lengths and this of course has my optimistic.

Any help would be appreciated as I am currently building a cyclocross and XC bike and have a number of events next spring which I must be ready for!

Thanks,

Kane

No experience on my end, I'm afraid...but we do have some major cyclists here. Have you checked out our "Cycling" threads? Try searching for posts from Rikk and allen-uk, to start...both are avid cyclists and have experimented with various adaptations to both bikes and prostheses.

Good luck with your search...!