Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sue1

New York

Hi All,

We have just got back from a week in New York and I have to say that for me, although we had a great time, it is the least amputee friendly place I have visited. There were two main reasons for this

a) There are steps everywhere and even though in many cases there are alternatives provided these usually involve a very long walk to get to i.e. a subway station with four entrances/exits but only one will have a disabled entrance with elevator so you have to walk a block to the next entrance/exit if you want to use it. Also the elevators (in several places) were 'out of order' so couldn't be used anyway.There is also a huge amount of walking even making good use of the subway.

b) Security - so many places have 'airport style' security so a couple of times a day - every day - I was having to explain about my leg. Most places were ok and just did a quick pat down but I have to say the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian was a nightmare. The lady was really horrible and rude and I got the impression if she could have stopped me going in for disturbing her routine she would have done! On the other hand the lady at Empire State was great - I told her I had beeped because I had an artificial leg and she said she had one too and also had problems with all these scanners. The best experience was actually at the airport coming home when the TSA agent was very good, asking if I was travelling alone or if I had someone to collect my belongings from the scanner - I did, my husband - asking if I wanted to go to a private screening area and being very friendly but in a professional way.

I also found on the subway that whilst on one occasion when it was busy a lady stood up and offered me her seat - I was using a cane so it wsas obvious I had a problem walking/balancing on a moving train - on two other occasions when it was busy I was left to stand and struggle not to keep falling on to people.

Overall though we had a fantastic time and saw everything we wanted to.

Sue

I'm sorry for your bad experience Sue. New York is probably the worst because of all the congestion. It is a walking city. Every place in the US has to be handicap assessible, but I'm sure some are out of order or inconvenient. I'm sorry to say also that New Yorkers are some of the rudest people because they have to put with all that crap. LOL

Try the US again sometime and make it more rural. I've never been to New York City myself.

Neal this was our seventh trip to the US (previously we have been East and West coast) but first to NYC. Everywhere else we found easier than in the UK whereas this time it wasn't, it didn't spoil the holiday but I thought I would mention the problems in case anyone else is thinking of going. As airports go JFK is second only to Toronto (of the airports we have experienced) in how good it was - clean, efficient, minimal queues etc.

We will definitely be back to the US as there are loads of places we would like to see.

A few years ago I went to visit my niece who was living in New York while getting her Masters at Sotheby's. She was in her early 20's and of course I am a little older, just a little... She walked my butt all over the place. Going up the steps at the subway, I would hold on to the rail and pull myself up step over step so I could go faster and not get trampled! You can't imagine how sore my arms, leg and butt were. Everywhere we went, she'd say just another block or 2 Aunt Marcia. Yeah right. It is definitely a walking city. Anyway I had lots of fun and got in some good exercise!

I had been a few years before that pre-amp and honestly it was more of an adventure post-amp. I love NY.