Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
BethMarie

Moving as an amputee

Hi All,

Well, I have finally found some time to communicate post move from Saskatoon to Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. I have a glorious view out of my kitchen window and porch--sort of strange to move from the very flat and beautiful prairies to having a mountain in my backyard! That is the good part of the move, otherwise it has been crisis after crisis. I have a very good friend here and I bought the house on her advise, pictures, home inspection and disclosure statement. Well when I first arrived I realized that others do not look at a house from our point of view--I was greeted by a flight of 7 steps up or down and I almost walked out and said this WILL NOT work, but it was mine so I ventured in with hope the rest would be good. I found the kitchen was so small with no storage (like 4 cabinets)the things of our student I had rented it to for the winter. The main bath was filthy with the tub surround coming off and growing mold, the bath off my bedroom was also dirty and had a non functioning toilet. Oh yes, the main bath was avocado green and my three piece bath was gold--remnants of the 60's/70's The windows let the breeze blow through and oh yes, most of the lights and/or outlets did not work. The more I looked the more I found so I sat down and cried. Then said, "well I have lots of work here. Later I found the huge backyard, which Mariah adores for playing ball, so steep I could not get down it without crutches.

On top of this the movers did more damage than the total of my 20+ previous moves and they did not know how to read and decided if I had things that were related to each other--ie the mower, battery, recharger it would be fun for me to find them somewhere--precisely what I was told when I asked where the battery was!!!!!!!

The other day I had a minor flood--from a leak in a pipe and when I went to find the shop vacuum I found it, but have no idea where the hose was?!?!! I have spent hours and hours just looking for things and where boxes were put--even though it said garage the movers must have thought I wanted to do a scavenger hunt as the box was put in my bedroom. This happened more time than I could count. Books are all over the house instead of in the office as marked.

I found all this frustration was harder to deal with because of my leg. I can't carry as much weight and not up and down the stairs, so the work is slow. The kitchen is just about finished as is the main bath and I do feel better having them at least being clean. I am so blessed having sold my house in Saskatoon for about $30,000 more than this house, so I can get things done.

OK enough complaining, but at least I knew you could put yourself in my place and understand the added difficulty.

Peace, Beth Marie

What an ordeal! Moving is awful under the best of circumstances. Best of luck to you in your new home.

I agree with Marcia. I hate moving. I better have one more in me though. Our house is too big. I love the house, but should get into something a little smaller. The real estate market will have to come back some before I think more about it. I will get rid of a bunch of stuff before moving again.

I think you are very brave Beth Marie in letting someone else advise, or choose somewhere without looking over it first ...though sounds kind of exciting, not sure if I would be that brave, even staying away somewhere for a week or so takes me out of my comfort zone.

Sounds like quite a project, but once you have things sorted out am sure you will be settled so hope all goes well and enjoy your new home.

Ann

Wow, BethMarie, what an "adventure!" I was just wondering recently if you'd gotten moved, and I'm glad that Mariah has a big backyard, but I certainly don't envy you your settling in process! The one thing I would suggest is that you take as much time as necessary to sort things out...even if it means ever-so-slowly and carefully re-sorting all those boxes your movers so imaginatively mis-placed.

I was lucky with my own move, in that the fellows who UNloaded the moving van I drove from SoCal to NoCal actually read my labels and properly sorted the boxes. My problem was that the fellows who LOADED the moving van before I drove it northward decided to re-pack a number of boxes and not change the labels on them. Thus, a box labeled "living room decor" might actually contain a set of measuring cups and mixing bowls...sigh...Do movers think this kind of thing is funny??

Seriously, I do think that your basic able-bodied mover can't truly understand the process your basic one-legged woman has to go through during a major relocation. And sometimes WE don't understand it ourselves, until we're there and having to try and sort it out! So be gentle with yourself and don't worry if settling in takes some time.......and feel free to "gripe" to us when needed! :wink:

Seriously, I do think that your basic able-bodied mover can't truly understand the process your basic one-legged woman has to go through during a major relocation. And sometimes WE don't understand it ourselves, until we're there and having to try and sort it out! So be gentle with yourself and don't worry if settling in takes some time.......and feel free to "gripe" to us when needed! :wink:

Think you have something there Cheryl. I have realized i do, do things quite differently to two, or even one legged, people, and usually take a fair bit longer to do practical things, and a lot of people don't quite understand the way I go about things, but it works for me.

Think you have something there Cheryl. I have realized i do, do things quite differently to two, or even one legged, people, and usually take a fair bit longer to do practical things, and a lot of people don't quite understand the way I go about things, but it works for me.

I really think I'm having a 'PANIC' attack just from reading about your crisis...what a mess. Me??? I would have immediately started looking for another place...I don't handle those situations well. Having your courage ~~ I am sure U will do fine. :smile:

Oh what a nightmare - I'm with you on the sitting down and crying bit. I'm glad you are slowly getting straight.

We are currently having a new kitchen (minor compared to you) but the men, including my husband, do not seem willing to understand that I need room to move through the main room where most of our kitchen appliances and cupboard contnents are now stored as clambering over things is really not for me!!

Are you able to post piccies of your new view and home??

Sue

Wow..... what an ordeal to go through.. I am glad to hear that you are adapting some what... sorry to hear that you have had to do so....

But...... I was just wondering about you the other day and how you were doing.. Glad to have you back on line Beth Marie.....

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your empathy and encouraging remarks. I did start looking for a new place the first week I was here, but there was nothing in my price range in this little sub community (which I really like) of Kamloops. Yesterday was my real melt down day. I found the water heater has to be replaced and I started the day with neither the phone or internet working. But today is bright and sunny and I am on my way out to try to reclaim the front yard with some of the end of the season specials on plants and they need to get planted. Again, many thanks