Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nellyboy

Help!

Hi Everyone!

Hope you all well, I am off to see the Doctor at the prosthetic clinic tommorrow to see what can be done about my stump. For some time I have been having problems with my legs have had lots of changes to the three legs I have, but the pain when walking has been very bad. I have noticed over the last few years that I have lost almost all of the muscle and fatty tissue at the end of the stump and the rest just sags down. This has meant I have been walking directly on the bone causing rubbing, and lots of pain in the stump and in my right hip. Also due to the wastage of tissue my stump is now only a few inches long.

There are two option cut out part of bone and re-shape stump or remove the knee.

Other than the this i am fine and well!

Has anyone else had similar problems?

thanks

Neil

I don't know Neil. Have you been trying to resolve this before now? Months of walking in pain is not good. Do your sockets fit or are they too big? Sounds like you're sinking too deep in the socket. We all lose volume after amputation, but with a proper fitting socket, you should never walk on the distal end of the bone. You should be suspended just to the point of not bearing weight right on the bone.

Are you guessing about further amputation/revision or has a doctor already told you this? That sounds extreme.

Start with your prosthetist and go from there.

Good luck.

Hi Neil

I've had similar problems and also went down the surgery/reconstruction route, think I also live in your location, so have pm'd you with some details.

Ann

Hi Neal

The prosthetist have been working on the legs for over 8 months trid many different things but the problem persists there just isn't anything past the bone as a cushion.

Ann thank-you for your mail, i have replied to you.

neil

Neil, that does not sound good at all! I don't understand why they would be having so much trouble taking the pressure off the bone...I have a tibia that's very, very close to the surface, and a steadily decreasing amount of tissue down at my distal end, and it's caused me some problems, but the re-casting of my socket that they're doing now seems like it's going to get me positioned correctly again. I've always been inclined to want to adjust the prosthesis to me, rather than altering myself to fit a prosthesis.

I certainly hope you can find a way to get a prosthesis that fits well without having to lose your knee!

Hi Neil

I am also suffering from this problem, but not as bad as you. I have a very prominent tibia which does cause some pain and also have issues with my left hip as a result.

I have seen some gel pads advertised to add a bit of cushion to the end of the stump but they seem only to be available in America. I am looking further into this to see if I can have delivered to America.

I will more than likely need revision surgery in the future which may result in losing my knee as well but we are trying everything before going down that route.

My leg guy cut a hole in the front of my prosthetic where the most pressure seems to be happening and that did work quite well but I have a fair bit of reddening at the front end of my stump where the bone is prominent.

Has anyone else seen the end gel pads I am talking about and have any idea where I might get one here in Australia?

Chin up Neil. I hope things work out for you

Loz

Hi Loz

You can buy gel pads from the various prosthetic companies, http://www.amputeesupplies.com/amputee-searches/amputee-leg-cushion.html or over here you can often get them from your prosthetist. What works better for me though is a bit of cut off gel liner put in the bottom of the socket which sort of molds to the end of the stump, am lucky as I wear a thick liner on my other stump so have access to it, but you could probably find something similar. Other things that 'sometimes' work, are what over here they call 'wiggly or woolly worms', which are basically a cut off bit or bits of unravelled woollen socks, which also provide a cushioning.

For me, either will work for some of the time, I often also put on a half sock which lifts me out a bit a the knee, but this can also cause other problems, especially like you mention with the hip, as makes me unlevel.

I am getting by with an old prosthesis on that side, but the biggest problem I am finding at the moment is getting a new one made that is comfortable and gets rid of the need for some of these interventions. We have tried a thick liner like I use on the other side, though that has caused more soreness with the end of the bones than not wearing a liner. So imagine I am in a similar situation to you at the moment.

I have considered the revision route as if I could get the same done as on my other side, feel it would solve my problems, though at the moment am being advised against it, so am going with that at the moment.

Ann

Hi Loz

You can buy gel pads from the various prosthetic companies, http://www.amputeesupplies.com/amputee-searches/amputee-leg-cushion.html or over here you can often get them from your prosthetist. What works better for me though is a bit of cut off gel liner put in the bottom of the socket which sort of molds to the end of the stump, am lucky as I wear a thick liner on my other stump so have access to it, but you could probably find something similar. Other things that 'sometimes' work, are what over here they call 'wiggly or woolly worms', which are basically a cut off bit or bits of unravelled woollen socks, which also provide a cushioning.

For me, either will work for some of the time, I often also put on a half sock which lifts me out a bit a the knee, but this can also cause other problems, especially like you mention with the hip, as makes me unlevel.

I am getting by with an old prosthesis on that side, but the biggest problem I am finding at the moment is getting a new one made that is comfortable and gets rid of the need for some of these interventions. We have tried a thick liner like I use on the other side, though that has caused more soreness with the end of the bones than not wearing a liner. So imagine I am in a similar situation to you at the moment.

I have considered the revision route as if I could get the same done as on my other side, feel it would solve my problems, though at the moment am being advised against it, so am going with that at the moment.

Ann

thanks Ann

I had a look at that site and they don't ship to australia....back to the drawing board. I am going to see my leg guy on Monday so I might show him the site and see what he can come up with. :biggrin:

Using the gel liner (cut off) is a really good idea. I might try to grab a couple of extras and try that idea

cheers

Loz

thanks Ann

I had a look at that site and they don't ship to australia....back to the drawing board. I am going to see my leg guy on Monday so I might show him the site and see what he can come up with. :biggrin:

Using the gel liner (cut off) is a really good idea. I might try to grab a couple of extras and try that idea

cheers

Loz

sorry, didn't realize they didn't ship to Australia Loz, I have also come across this site which might or might not be helpful.

http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13433 not sure again about shipping to Australia though. Good idea though to talk to your leg guy though and see what he suggests.

thanks Ann

cheers

Loz

sorry, didn't realize they didn't ship to Australia Loz, I have also come across this site which might or might not be helpful.

http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13433 not sure again about shipping to Australia though. Good idea though to talk to your leg guy though and see what he suggests.

Thanks so much Ann

I will have a look and see what they can do for me.

Saw my leg guy today and he is still muttering about revision but new leg (I got today) is really comfortable and working quite well. Let's see what happens when I remove it tonight!!

Loz

Hi Everyone

Quick update!

The docs have decided not to operate at this time, however i have a new prosthetist who really seems to know what shes talking about! A new casting was done friday takinging into account my prominent tibia and hamstrings get the new leg next week so will update then!

Thanks for the help and love!

Neil

Hi Everyone

Quick update!

The docs have decided not to operate at this time, however i have a new prosthetist who really seems to know what shes talking about! A new casting was done friday takinging into account my prominent tibia and hamstrings get the new leg next week so will update then!

Thanks for the help and love!

Neil

That's really good news Neil. My prosthetist is still muttering about revision, but did say that it was the last resort.

Hope the new leg ends up being good for you. I got a new one yesterday and so far so good. I can see redness but not in the offending area :biggrin:

cheers

Loz