Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stumpyfish

Neoprene sleeves

Hi all, long time since i have been on here.I am bk amputee and currently use a sleeve to hold my leg on.

The otto bock ones i get from the n.h.s dont seem to last a great length of time, does any one know of an alternative i could buy myself thats a bit more durable?

Look forward to all your replies thanks in advance.

Mark.

I always preferred the Viva sleeves by Alps when I was using them. They were more comfy as well as a little more durable. There are new ones out now that have reinforcement in the knee area.

Hi all, long time since i have been on here.I am bk amputee and currently use a sleeve to hold my leg on.

The otto bock ones i get from the n.h.s dont seem to last a great length of time, does any one know of an alternative i could buy myself thats a bit more durable?

Look forward to all your replies thanks in advance.

Mark.

I am using the Alps Sleeve, think it is the Easy sleeve http://www.easyliner.com/sleeve-landing.php , they last me for quite a while, are comfortable, and don't cause any problems. I am in the UK also, and get these via the NHS.

Thats interesting Ann,

i will see if my health service can do the same.

I seem to wear out the current ones very quickly, if fact the last one only lasted a day.

Did they offer you them as an option or did you need to ask?

A single DAY?? That's just crazy! Did you ask the people at your limb center about that? I've had some sleeves that "died" very quickly, but the ones that gave up the ghost in less than a month (there were two of them) were declared to be a manufacturing defect and returned to the maker for replacements.

I know that there are differences between US and UK coverages, but that one just strikes me as "common sense"............

Good luck to you!

Thats interesting Ann,

i will see if my health service can do the same.

I seem to wear out the current ones very quickly, if fact the last one only lasted a day.

Did they offer you them as an option or did you need to ask?

I have been using them for years, and don't find they wear out that quickly, usually last for months, so surprised your last sleeve only last a day, that sounds unusual. You can also get small inner kind of liners that fix just over the knee area of the prosthesis and then the sleeve fits over this, not sure who these are made by, but they can protect the knee area of the sleeve a bit more if its that part that is wearing out quickly.

I think mine were probably offered as an option at some point somewhere a while back, but now I always try and make sure I get those particular type as they suit me. You can sometimes have problems getting certain things ordered as most centres are tied into a contract etc. etc. and they haven't always been readily available and had to be specially ordered but no real probs getting hold of them, cost of course is always an issue with the NHS, but I've no idea whether these are more or less expensive than other types. Probably if you just talk to your prosthetist about the issues you are having and see what they suggest.

So are you wearing a gel sleeve or a neoprene sleeve? Is this a new socket?

I have a neoprene sleeve on my secondary/water/anything leg, because i kept blowing through the gel ones. I guess crawling around, working on the house, playing with the kiddos is a little tough on a thin gel sleeve. :)Neoprene seems to hold up better with impact damage, though it does not give me as good of suction as the gel sleeves. Works fine for a secondary leg.

I am currently wearing a Con Ex gel sleeve by Streifender, its super comfy and holds vacuum great. But being that it is a vacuum system it is weak when it come to impact damage. I blow through the first 3 of these sleeves, but that was due to the trim lines of the socket not being smooth enough. I went thru an additional one in about 5 weeks, again its vacuum and the sleeve stretches real tight over the trim lines. All of that was fixed by adding what Ann was talking about, an inner liner. They are called a sleeve protector, its simply a double walled piece of nylon. It just protect the sleeve from the shear forces of the socket trim lines. The site below is where I got my sleeve protectors. Good luck.

http://amputeesupplies.com/products/fc/s/sleeves.html

Many thanks for the replies.I have been using Otto Bock neoprene sleeves for about 25 years.

It seems the quality has changed somewhat, I am very active,working full time,playing with the kids,working around the house etc,

Also i am a keen mountain biker cycling sometimes 50 miles a week off road, so you can see they need to be robust.

I have always worn them out quite quickly but as of late they dont seem to last.

Think i was looking for a possible alternative, something more heavy duty , i was not sure of the products available here in the u.k.

If i could find the right thing I would be happy to fund it myself, I thought i would see what the general census was.

After doing a bit of research , it looks to me like the Alps Extreme sleeve Reinforced might fit the bill,

Has anyone got any experience of this product, and again availability in the u.k.

Thanks again for the help.

Mark.