Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
loz1804

Getting up from the floor

Hi All

I am a BK amputee. I have trouble getting up from the floor. I can get up if I have something to pull myself up on but not without.

I was doing some floor exercises yesterday and pulled myself up on the lounge and my leg fell off!

Any tips for me?

Loz

Hi Loz,

I am b/k also and can usually get up from the floor ok, I think actually I do it probably slightly different ways at different times, depending on the situation, if you get my meaning, not sure why your leg would have fallen off though.

When I get up from the floor I think I tend to usually just push up with my hands and upper body, but I am pushing through the legs also as I stand, if that makes sense.

I tend to keep my legs fairly straight as I am standing, though I think this could be because my first legs were fixed and didn't bend at the knee, so that is the way I learned to do it. My method was evolved through the school of hard knocks and a very fierce physio who wouldn't help when I fell over, which I frequently did on the old rocker type legs you were given years ago, at the time I thought she was the worst person in the world, but now I recognize why she did it and am kind of grateful, so be warned, my way isn't probably the 'recommended model', and I do vary it from time to time.

Ann

LOZ, I will tell you one thing...I don't seem to have alot of trouble getting up...just it is 'NOT A PRETTY SITE' :ohmy:

Hi Loz,

I use a small sturdy foot stool to get up off the floor when I am getting up into bed at night. I had refused to give up my upstairs bedroom after my initial amp recovery but to pacify family concerns about using crutches on the stairs I went up on my butt. To make it easier to get up off the floor I first used a plastic utility like two step stool but the anti slip grooves were uncomfortable on my tosh. I later found a nice looking, and padded, old style foot stool that works great and doesn't look like a pantry stool cast off.

If you exercise in the same area each day perhaps this might be a workaround for you. It is cheating a bit but why not if it helps you keep exercising.

Good luck.

Jane

The only way I can get up is to get on the the knee of the artificial side and then get my weight on to my good leg and stand from there - it is hard to describe and looks very inelegant but it works for me.

Thanks so much everyone.

My leg fell off because it is quite loose, I got my new one today

It is pretty good but have not tried getting up from the floor yet.

I am pretty new at this so am going to try all suggestions until I find the best one for me

Wish me luck :biggrin:

Loz

The only way I can get up is to get on the the knee of the artificial side and then get my weight on to my good leg and stand from there - it is hard to describe and looks very inelegant but it works for me.

That's the way I do it!

Drink tequila then everyone understands when you say you can't get up :rolleyes:

Drink tequila then everyone understands when you say you can't get up :rolleyes:

HAHA!!! I prefer bourbon, but the results should be the same.

Ha Ha

Good excuse!!

Love it

Loz :biggrin:

HAHA!!! I prefer bourbon, but the results should be the same.

Quite partial to bourbon myself..... :biggrin:

Rum and orange juice work quite nicely too. And if you use OJ with calcium you can work on strengthening your bones. Two for one benefit!

Jane

Rum and orange juice work quite nicely too. And if you use OJ with calcium you can work on strengthening your bones. Two for one benefit!

Jane

I LIKE LIKE LIKE it :biggrin:

I am a very active person and have been trying to tame the yard. Most of the time I have to move myself to something I can push up on. I have found if I get on my knees--not sure if this would work for AKs--and then use my arms to push myself up. The surface has to be flat. I have the added problem of having no kneecaps, so my leg strength is not the good--but I have mighty arm strength :biggrin:

Peace, Beth Marie

Its a simple trick, and when I was new I tried everything with no success, until I saw some videos on youtube (I believe it was on youtube) - you might try searching there on on the web for a video. Basically, with the leg on, belly on the floor, you an push it out to the side as as others have mentioned, and use your hands and hand over hand move them toward your good leg (keeping your good leg straight) until they are practically under your abdomin. Your butt will be up in the air with your hands underneath, then you straighten out with your abdominal muscles. A few tries and you will be able to hop up and down with ease. If the leg falls off, just push it sort of back into the socket first before you try this, then after you are up you can get push down into the socket it back on. (hope that makes sense)

Now its also possible to use the same technique to get up using one good leg without the prosthetic on... to from the belly position, push up with your arms, and walk them toward you until your butt is in the air, and your leg should be straight as you straighten out with your waist. Think is, unless you have something to grab on, or a crutch, then you might fall down after standing- unless you have really good balance from hopping around a lot on one leg.

The sad part is that when I was getting physical therapy after my accident, none of the clinic therapists could show me any of this. If you cant find a video, then let me know and I will make one using my flip and put it up on youtube.

Its a simple trick, and when I was new I tried everything with no success, until I saw some videos on youtube (I believe it was on youtube) - you might try searching there on on the web for a video. Basically, with the leg on, belly on the floor, you an push it out to the side as as others have mentioned, and use your hands and hand over hand move them toward your good leg (keeping your good leg straight) until they are practically under your abdomin. Your butt will be up in the air with your hands underneath, then you straighten out with your abdominal muscles. A few tries and you will be able to hop up and down with ease. If the leg falls off, just push it sort of back into the socket first before you try this, then after you are up you can get push down into the socket it back on. (hope that makes sense)

Now its also possible to use the same technique to get up using one good leg without the prosthetic on... to from the belly position, push up with your arms, and walk them toward you until your butt is in the air, and your leg should be straight as you straighten out with your waist. Think is, unless you have something to grab on, or a crutch, then you might fall down after standing- unless you have really good balance from hopping around a lot on one leg.

The sad part is that when I was getting physical therapy after my accident, none of the clinic therapists could show me any of this. If you cant find a video, then let me know and I will make one using my flip and put it up on youtube.

That is exactly more or less how I do it too, I am bilateral.

Like you say though its sad none of your clinical therapists could show you this, forty years ago getting up from the floor was one of the first things I learned, maybe cause the legs you were given in those days were rockers and I used to fall down quite a lot. I imagine though you have to develop pretty strong core muscles to do this, or maybe they do develop from doing it.

I am not so sure people get enough rehab & physio, everything often seems geared to getting the legs and walking and then after a month or so you are out on your own. Goodness I sound old saying this but, years ago the rehab & physio side was for much longer and much more intensive, I think I actually continued with physio for a couple of years, everything was gradual and there were no 'aides' to help you transfer, get in the bath, or anything you just had to learn to use upper body strength. Do wonder sometimes though that if more resources were put into rehab and physio maybe some people would be less disabled by it all.

Wine works well too!