Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cherylm

Isn't It Lovely......?

It's here at last...I've had the new leg for about a week now, and I love it! The socket fit is great, and I'm really hoping that my insurance will cover this Endolite foot/ankle combo for me...even though I'm still adjusting to it, It's made a great improvement in my gait and a HUGE difference in my ability to navigate uneven ground.

Mostly, though, I just think it's very beautiful! I was hoping for something that looked like tooled leather or burled wood, and I think they captured it perfectly. They even laminated my "second-choice" fabric inside the socket, so that if I did decide that I wanted a cosmesis, I'd still have something pretty to look at. Needless to say, this baby is NOT getting covered up!

DSCI0030.jpg

DSCI0029.jpg

Okay, those were supposed to be thumnails...but I'm so happy with it that I don't care!

Family and friends are coming around to it...even those who comment that it's "going to be an adjustment getting used to that post" have to admit that the socket is beautiful. And I've not had one single "knee surgery" conversation for an entire week! Hooray!!

Anyone else have leg/arm pics to share????

Which foot is that from Endolite, Cheryl? I have the Echelon, with the hydroylic ankle, but it looks nothing like yours..What is the range of motion on yours, do you know?

As for mine, I wouldn't let it go either.... They make life so much easier.... It's hard to explain it to anyone that hasn't tried it, but I doubt I would ever go back... I have an Ossur Ceterus, that was awesome, but this one beats it by far!.....

It's here at last...I've had the new leg for about a week now, and I love it! The socket fit is great, and I'm really hoping that my insurance will cover this Endolite foot/ankle combo for me...even though I'm still adjusting to it, It's made a great improvement in my gait and a HUGE difference in my ability to navigate uneven ground.

Mostly, though, I just think it's very beautiful! I was hoping for something that looked like tooled leather or burled wood, and I think they captured it perfectly. They even laminated my "second-choice" fabric inside the socket, so that if I did decide that I wanted a cosmesis, I'd still have something pretty to look at. Needless to say, this baby is NOT getting covered up!

DSCI0030.jpg

DSCI0029.jpg

Okay, those were supposed to be thumnails...but I'm so happy with it that I don't care!

Family and friends are coming around to it...even those who comment that it's "going to be an adjustment getting used to that post" have to admit that the socket is beautiful. And I've not had one single "knee surgery" conversation for an entire week! Hooray!!

Anyone else have leg/arm pics to share????

Cool Cheryl

Beautiful!!! :biggrin:

Thanks, gang...I think we've ironed out the few little issues that needed tweaking now. It's such a pleasure to not only be walking again, but walking really well at that!

Tammie, the foot is the DR2--the "second generation" of Endolite's Dynamic Response foot. It's very lively...in fact, they had to set it to be a little less responsive while I'm learning to use it! The ankle has a fairly low range of motion--if I'm reading the coding correctly, it's ten degrees in any direction, forward, backward, or side-to-side. It's amazing to me just how much difference that small amount of motion makes. And it's not just "me"...a couple days after I got the leg, I met family at a local park for a picnic. It took only about two dozen steps for my sister to say "They'd better pay for this foot...you need this foot!" (That being said, it does look like insurance is going to come through on the foot and ankle.)

So, it looks like I'm back among the living.... :wink:

Hi Cheryl,

Your leg looks great! Naked is a great way to go!.

Jane

Nice socket, Cheryl. Glad you are so pleased with it. Like Tammie, I have an Echelon foot and am curious about yours. Was the footshell cut down or did it come like that?

Love it Cheryl, it is beautiful! I also have the Echelon, and really loved it at first but being bilateral, that is alot of movement to keep a handle on. The Echelons are in the closet right now, but I may use them again some day. I had trouble with uneven terrain with them, it makes a huge difference when you have both feet that are involved. I love your socket, I am so glad you are happy :)

Thank you, one and all! Marcia, that is the actual footshell, which I actually like quite a lot. I don't know how the Echelon is set up, but the DR2 is set up so that there is a lot of access to the workings of the foot without having to remove the footshell. That low-cut shell provides access, and there are other slots and holes to allow for different adjustments. On my old foot, you always needed to remove the shell to adjust any settings...this new set-up makes adjustments much quicker and easier.

Flip, if your Echelons are anywhere as "lively" as my DR2, I can see why they might be problematic when trying to use two of them on uneven ground. But one of 'em is a real blessing for me!

The DR2 has a solid CF keel that has foam moulded directly to it, so it doesn't have a foot shell. The foam is part of the foot. The shape is given for a mating foam ankle piece to be fitted if required, the foam can be adhered to the upper face of the foot.

The Echelons articulate using hydraulics as well as the CF heel and toe springs independantly deflecting. It is important the correct springs are chosen and that the correct adjustments are made to the two valves that control the hydraulics. Also, the alignment is critical to correct function and stability.

The DR2 deflects purely as a result of a load being applied to the CF toe spring. There are three stiffness positions. The heel is foam, not CF as on the Echelon. The Multiflex ankle gives the movement to effectively articulate the DR2 by use of a rubber ball assembled under pressure. There are various stiffnesses of rubber that may be used dependant upon prescription.

Hope that's of some use.

That's a very clear (and very cool) explanation! Thanks for your expertise, OBL!

Oooh - that's beautiful. I need to get a cool looking socket next time. I've always had those anemic caucasian flesh colored ones. I've gone without a cosmetic cover for a long time now and I definitely need to get a better looking socket.

I thought that foot looked familiar. I used to have an Endolite foot and recall it being a nice foot.