Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Gibby

Freedom Runway adjustable heel foot

Thought I would post an update on my experience with this foot. I have had one for about five years and it finally wore out. It was one with the button adjustment mechanism which never worked very well. Sometimes the button couldn't be depressed at all and then it would be difficult to adjust precisely where you want it. That said I wasn't expecting to get another one of these feet but I found I was quite limited due to the smaller size of my foot. I didn't think a woman's US size 7 medium width was that small but I guess it is.

I tried a few that would fit into my shoes but not as good for walking and I do a lot of walking. So I decided to go with the freedom runway again just because it works so well in every other respect aside from the heel adjustment. They do now have a new wrench adjustment mechanism though instead of the button so I did get that thinking it could very well be better.

I've now tried this out and it is a huge improvement. It allows for infinitely precise adjustment and it's no fail - you insert the wrench and turn it up or down. No malfunctioning button. I don't wear a cosmetic cover so I can just insert the wrench above the foot shell but the foot shell does come with a small hole in the back so you can insert the wrench for adjustment even with a cover.

I'm not into wearing really high heels but it is a big plus to be able to have flexibility from my typical 3/8-1/2 inch height. As I said I walk a lot and I'm very intolerant of not having the heel height precisely right. I have been prancing around in my one inch heels today - shoes I bought five years ago when I got the first freedom runway. Now I'll actually be able to wear them - woo-hoo!!

Wonderful news...good luck with the new foot!

I have an Elation heel height adjustable foot from Ossur and I really liked it for the office.. It's not the best on energy return though... Great for shoes with a higher heel than the typical 3/8th's....It is a button set foot, but I never had any problems with the button what so ever.....

Never tried the Runway though....

I was very interested in getting an adjustable foot and did a lot of research and talked to my prosthetist about it more than once. I may still want one in the future (I am only 14 months in) but a cheaper alternative for me to wear high heels was to order a boot foot. It is shaped like a foot would be when in a heel. It doesn't adjust but I can switch from one foot to another pretty easily and works well for boots and closed toe shoes. I don't have a full cosmetic cover (again, maybe in the future) but had my prosthetist make a shaped piece of foam that I can put around the post below the socket to "fill out" pants legs. I'm pretty sure one day I will want a cosmetic leg one day but for now this works well.

I have a button adjustable foot and it's ok but often hard to work the button and sometimes it seems to slip so your leg suddenly adjusts itself to flat which is very awkward if it is not convenient to sit to adjust it, it also only has a limited range of adjustment so I can't wear really high heels. It is good having the flexibility though.

I had an Elation and a Runway. Runway was better for energy return. They were both good for adjusting to regular shoes but I never could wear heels comfortably. Even the little 2 inchers. I kinda think the only way you can wear heels well is if you have a foot made for them. Or maybe I'm just a clutz!

Klutz #2 checking in. :wacko: Could change the lower heels, but never could wear higher ones. With age creeping up, the lower heels are just fine. BTW I found if you take the liners out on your amputed leg you can also adjust. :happy:

Klutz #2 checking in. :wacko: Could change the lower heels, but never could wear higher ones. With age creeping up, the lower heels are just fine. BTW I found if you take the liners out on your amputed leg you can also adjust. :happy:

Don't understand the last sentence.... take the liners out? :blink:

Don't understand the last sentence.... take the liners out? :blink:

I meant if you take the insole out of your shoe; it will make it close to what you need to feel on your amputated side. :wink:

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and happy to find this forum. I'm struggling with shoes!! I'm 23 live in Liverpool and all the young ladies wear the huge heels...I don’t think I could wear them even without my artificial leg! but I'd like to be able to wear something that’s higher than 9cm which is what my current foot allows me to wear. I tend to look at the block heeled shoes or wedges for more balance and most of them are 12 cm high...I wouldn't want to go any higher. The foot this thread refers to, how high can you go with heels in cm???

I'm actually finding myself not wanting to go out because I feel out of place with my friends and it takes me over a week to find something to wear because I'm limited to two pairs of shoes in my wardrobe and most shoes I can wear aren't that attractive! so my whole search for something to wear is stressful because of limitations. I can’t wear skinny jeans as it clings to the knee section, I can’t wear dresses without tights and even if I find a dress that I can wear with tights I'm conscious of my not so nice shoes and the fact my leg looks extremely skinny to my normal leg! My fitter just can’t seem to get the shape right despite taking measurements :-( I'm really frustrated..If I could have nice shoes it may help me feel a little bit better about things!

Thanks all xx

Ooohh...shoes...Such an issue for female amps! I'll admit it...shoes were my weakness, pre-amp, and I miss having a wide range of choices available to me now!

Zoe, I think the adjustable foot being discussed here can only go up to a 2" heel...about 5 cm to you. I do know that some of the young gals here are wearing actual platform shoes, along with just the very high heels...that may give you some possibilities, as a one or two inch platform sole would let you wear a heel that is at least another 2.5 - 5 cm higher.

To go into a very high heel, you'd most likely need to have a specific "high-heeled foot" built, which, unfortunately, can be expensive...but if that is really, really important to you, it might be worth working and saving toward. :smile:

Hi Zoe,

Your note made me feel sad--not so much about you, but about society's image of what is beautiful. You are at the age when self image is so important--and that is very normal. I am MUCH older than you, but very active. Let me share a story with you. When I was first amputated I was very conscious of how I looked, what people would think of me now that I was an amputee and wore a "real" covering--it never looked that real, but.... I was in a profession which demanded a lot of "out in the public" and I thought to be taken seriously I had to make it look like I was not an amputee. Then I went to the Amputee Coalition meeting and hardly met anyone wearing a cover and it made me rethink my belief that I had to look as "normal" as possible to be taken seriously. When the cover wore out--which was about every 4 months--I decided not to get one and see what happened. I also changed my belief about being taken seriously. I soon realized that it was my issue. Now I am able to be very up front with people that I am an amputee and if they can't deal with it, it is their issue, not mine. I did loose some friends because they wanted to treat me as VERY disabled. So, for me it was my issue. I feel much more confident as an amputee.

But, you are much younger so you will, in time, be able to find your own way. I have lots of trouble finding decent shoes to wear--not so much with my amputation, but with my other foot that was also injured. I have found wearing sandals--even in the winter--has been a great solution. Sandals can be very fashionable and I can walk without pain in my other foot.

Try to get out and do something you really like to do for depression really works against being a healthy and happy amputee (yes, I am happy about my life)--this is said from my own experience.

Peace, Beth Marie

Zoe, I have had plenty of time to get used to being an amputee, BUT unlike alot of my amp. friends I just couldn't due this...I have to have mine covered...don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the look....it just isn't for me. So there are several of us that wear covered legs and several that don't...it is a personal thing. :happy:

Hey Zoe,

I am a left BK for a little over a year and I can share what I do. I have a regular foot that I wear flats and low heeled knee high boots with. I also have a foot that is made for cowboy boots that allows me to wear 2 1/2-3 inch wedge shoes and boots. Both feet have a pylon attached to them and I put them on my socket depending on which foot I want to wear. In the future I hope to have an everyday leg and one for heels. What bothers me is the difference in size of my prosthetic leg and my other leg so I had my prosthetist make a removable foam cover so I can wear pants, and even skinny jeans, without it looking weird. Yes, they do cling a little at the knee but no-one really notices it at all. I don't have a cosmetic cover and I wear shorts and dresses and it doesn't bother me. Some people stare but mostly they are super nice to me - hold the door, offer me their seat. I kind of miss that when I have long pants on and they can't really tell I am an amputee. Don't give up on wearing heels if that is what you want. Tell your prosthetist and then keep saying it until you get it.

Good luck and get out there with your friends. They don't care about your leg or your shoes and neither will most other people.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and happy to find this forum. I'm struggling with shoes!! I'm 23 live in Liverpool and all the young ladies wear the huge heels...I don’t think I could wear them even without my artificial leg! but I'd like to be able to wear something that’s higher than 9cm which is what my current foot allows me to wear. I tend to look at the block heeled shoes or wedges for more balance and most of them are 12 cm high...I wouldn't want to go any higher. The foot this thread refers to, how high can you go with heels in cm???

I'm actually finding myself not wanting to go out because I feel out of place with my friends and it takes me over a week to find something to wear because I'm limited to two pairs of shoes in my wardrobe and most shoes I can wear aren't that attractive! so my whole search for something to wear is stressful because of limitations. I can’t wear skinny jeans as it clings to the knee section, I can’t wear dresses without tights and even if I find a dress that I can wear with tights I'm conscious of my not so nice shoes and the fact my leg looks extremely skinny to my normal leg! My fitter just can’t seem to get the shape right despite taking measurements :-( I'm really frustrated..If I could have nice shoes it may help me feel a little bit better about things!

Thanks all xx

I haven't been here for a while and I just found this thread. I definitely can relate to a lot of the frustration you are feeling Zoe.

I am a left hip-disartic amputee and I used to live in 3-4 inch stiletto heels before my amputation almost 3 years ago. My dream has always been to get back in heels but it is looking more and more like that is never going to happen. I have had my prosthetic for a little over two years now and I am still trying to just learn to walk properly in flat heels! I have only worn sneakers and ballet flats on my leg. I did get excited last year when I was able to find a pair of flat heeled tall riding boots that I could get on my leg. If I were a BK amp, then there would be hope for heels. But being a HD, I am pretty much out of luck in ever wearing heels again.

I also feel very funny wearing pants because my leg does look much thinner than my real leg. I was hoping one day to have a cosmesis, but I have this very wide metal plate between the knee and hip joint because I am too short to use the standard metal piece that Ottobock makes to use between the two joints. Because of the width of the plate, I will never be able to get a covering.

I used to love fashion and shoes; now I have no desire so shop. I just wish I could find some clothes and shoes I could look half normal in with my prosthetic on.

Chrissy, since your level of amputation makes "disguising" your prosthesis unlikely (and it's certainly true that hip disartics have a harder time with their prostheses than many of us), have you thought about ways of making your prosthesis a fashion "accessory" instead of a "liability"? I just know that I've loved admitting that my arty leg is indeed "arty" and having it made into something pretty in and of itself. I don't know how far down your socket goes, but if it tends to show you can have it laminated with a lovely fabric...or you can get it "tattooed" or have a pylon in a custom color instead of just plain old aluminum. An attractive stocking or sock paired with your low-heeled shoes might be another option. Painting might also be a possibility.

I've found that most folks really enjoy seeing my "artsy arty" leg...and it's made me feel much more comfortable.

Just a suggesion for you....... :smile:

Chrissy, since your level of amputation makes "disguising" your prosthesis unlikely (and it's certainly true that hip disartics have a harder time with their prostheses than many of us), have you thought about ways of making your prosthesis a fashion "accessory" instead of a "liability"? I just know that I've loved admitting that my arty leg is indeed "arty" and having it made into something pretty in and of itself. I don't know how far down your socket goes, but if it tends to show you can have it laminated with a lovely fabric...or you can get it "tattooed" or have a pylon in a custom color instead of just plain old aluminum. An attractive stocking or sock paired with your low-heeled shoes might be another option. Painting might also be a possibility.

I've found that most folks really enjoy seeing my "artsy arty" leg...and it's made me feel much more comfortable.

Just a suggesion for you....... :smile:

Cherylm,

Thanks so much! :smile:

I would love to make my socket arty if I could.. I have seen many BK amps with very cool sockets! But unfortunately, even if I wore a short skirt, nobody would see it. Not unless I went around in some Daisy Duke short-shorts! My socket wraps around my waist and abdomen and curves underneath my stump and rear end, so nobody but me sees it. If I wear a skirt or shorts, the only part that is visible is the bottom of the Helix hip, the C-leg and the foot. I started to wear some skirts, tights and ballet flats last year, which was a nice change for me. I never wore skirts or dresses when I was trying to hide my amputated leg. Skirts and dresses actually look better on me now than pants do so and it is something I am not used to having worn nothing but pants for so many years.

I just have to get the courage to get out there to the stores to try on different clothes and find what works for me.

Go for it, Chrissy! It might even be fun for you to get some sort of design added to your socket, simply for your own enjoyment. (My leg tech laminated the inside of my socket, as well as the outside, so I have something pretty to look at even when I'm simply donning the leg...no-one sees it but me, but I sure enjoy it!)

I'm not sure what your hip is like, but I know a few C-leg users, and that's really quite a cool looking leg. You'll find a way to make it "work" for your look...if you have a stylish and encouraging friend you trust, why not head out together and see what you can find to give yourself some fashion flair!