Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mary Farquhar

Ice Skating

I am 5 months post op and after 20 years I tried skating again. I didn't exactly get on the ice and take off skating. LOL! I did get on the ice and was able to stay up. I had one hand holding the side board and the other hand holding a child up. My mind was telling my legs/feet to move side to side but my legs/feet wouldn't do that. LOL..so I just glided along. I am proud that I tried it...definitely going to take some practice.

Mary

Awesome Mary :biggrin:

I have been skating since I was 14 and have always loved it. Best time I had was 8 years ago when we were visiting Colorado for the first time I got to skate up in the Rockies.

When I was first learning I also had problems getting my feet and legs to do what I wanted and the way I learnt was kinda like skate boarding. Kept my bad leg planted on the ground and pushed off using my good leg. Once I got my balance, I lifted my bad leg and started to push off like you are supposed to. Worked really well. :smile:

Thanks Cat! I did leave my bad foot planted and was pushing some with my good foot. I will have to

keep trying...and go with my kids! LOL...

Cool :cool: Mary.....I just knew it would all work out for you. You just needed some extra courage to help you through this.

Good job, Mary! Just keep working at it...you'll figure out what you need to do to "get your stroke back!"

I am 5 months post op and after 20 years I tried skating again. I didn't exactly get on the ice and take off skating. LOL! I did get on the ice and was able to stay up. I had one hand holding the side board and the other hand holding a child up. My mind was telling my legs/feet to move side to side but my legs/feet wouldn't do that. LOL..so I just glided along. I am proud that I tried it...definitely going to take some practice.

Mary

I have never been ice skating, but i have roller skated for years.. here is something that might make u say wow.. im only 3 weeks into wearing my new leg and just 2 months shy from surgery..... this is me sunday jan 22 2012 look at this.. =>

Mary

I have never been ice skating, but i have roller skated for years.. here is something that might make u say wow.. im only 3 weeks into wearing my new leg and just 2 months shy from surgery..... this is me sunday jan 22 2012 look at this.. => http://youtu.be/xMwbqnFBDrE

Nice work getting back to roller skating Chris !!!! Take it slow and easy. Post op 2 months shy and 3 weeks into your new leg is an incredible challenge. Knowing how already helps, but I'm sure is a huge amount of work. Best wishes.

Mary

I have never been ice skating, but i have roller skated for years.. here is something that might make u say wow.. im only 3 weeks into wearing my new leg and just 2 months shy from surgery..... this is me sunday jan 22 2012 look at this.. => http://youtu.be/xMwbqnFBDrE

Nice work getting back to roller skating Chris !!!! Take it slow and easy. Post op 2 months shy and 3 weeks into your new leg is an incredible challenge. Knowing how already helps, but I'm sure is a huge amount of work. Best wishes.

Thank you very much. once im finished with therapy which i just started this past friday, and i can walk with out any crutches, i will be back to skating my heart out.. skating is great therapy.

Awesome Mary :biggrin:

I have been skating since I was 14 and have always loved it. Best time I had was 8 years ago when we were visiting Colorado for the first time I got to skate up in the Rockies.

When I was first learning I also had problems getting my feet and legs to do what I wanted and the way I learnt was kinda like skate boarding. Kept my bad leg planted on the ground and pushed off using my good leg. Once I got my balance, I lifted my bad leg and started to push off like you are supposed to. Worked really well. :smile:

I love the little licking kitty u have there.. reminds me of my cat :)