Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cy692002

Hello all New Rbk Here

Hello everyone, my name is Chris. I am a new amputee. On November 29th 2011, I had my right leg below knee amputated. My original injury occured on September 16 2006. I was in a very serious car accident, thanks to a drunk driver. My right foot and ankle was crushed. The doctors wanted to amputate it from the start but I chose to have them try to save it. To make a long story short, I had 12 surgeries over the last 5 years to keep it and try to make it useful. Unfortunately my progress only went so far and then stopped, and about every year to year and a half I had to have another surgery. I was always in pain, and had absoultely no range of movement in the foot or ankle. I had lots of nerve damage, a large portion of my foot died and I had to have a series of skin grafts to replace the dead section of my foot. I wore an AFO brace for a few years, which to me was practicly a prosthetic leg, but with the issues of still having the messed up leg. So I decided very early this year that I wasn't goin to continue the seemingly pointless cycle of surgeries. I thought about having the amputation for 5 years, and I realized I am 27 yrs old and Im not getting any younger. The time is now or never, I told my self.

The surgery went great, I was only in the hospital 3 days. I am already very happy that I made this decision. I got the best news this past Thursday, I should have my prosthetic before christmas! I can't wait to get my life back!

Welcome Chris. I think you made the right decision. You can't expect a totally painfree life ahead. I even have an occasional 'bad leg day' after 7.5 years. Considering your age I think you'll do just fine with a prosthesis. I was 47 when I lost mine and yet everyone marvels at how well I walk and do things. It isn't such a marvel to me as I hardly notice the leg anymore. My leg goes on first thing in the morning and comes off when I go to bed at night. The only other time it comes off is when showering or swimming in a pool. I prefer to use a leg when swimming in rivers, lakes or the ocean.

Getting your first leg and walking again is a great moment to experience. I'm glad you'll get it by Christmas. That's pretty fast to go from amp to leg. It was 6 weeks for me. I'm getting a new socket right now. It's a process I hate, but necessary to get the fit just right.

Stay tuned as your leg will be going through quite a few changes over the next few months. You'll have to get rid of all that swelling from surgery, then your leg will start the process of shrinking as your muscles atrophy.

Hi Chris

Welcome to the site; a very useful place to get good feedback on legless!! issues. I certainly think you made the right descision, now you can move forward and I can tell you life with no pain is wonderful. Its great getting your new legs (I am double amputee) and its fantastic that you will get them before Christmas. I was back walking in 6 weeks and I can now walk unaided on flat ground. Best wishes as you now go MARCHING :biggrin: on.

Sue

Hi, Chris, and welcome to our forum "family!" You certainly gave it your best in trying to save your injured leg...from what you've said, I think that amputation was a good decision for you. I chose to become an amp after multiple attempts to repair a broken foot...being more or less pain-free after spending so much time just waiting for something else to "go wrong" has been a real blessing for me. I hope that you'll be as pleased as I've been.

Neal is right...you'll still have some pain and discomfort issues, at least once in a while, but most of us find that getting around with a good-fitting prosthesis is MUCH easier than functioning with the damaged limbs we had before.

As you're getting used to living with a prosthesis, don't be afraid to ask questions or seek out suggestions for ways to adapt. You're still young...put some effort into it and you'll be living a good, full, active life! I hope you do get your leg for Christmas...what a fabulous gift!

hi Chris,

As others have said and I want to add my welcome to this fine group of people who have helped me so much. My story is very similar to your--I was hit by a woman who didn't bother to look before she turned in front of me. It was three years full of surgeries--I can't imagine doing it for 7 years, but you are much younger than I was. For me the decision to amputate was the best one I could have made. The first year was a little tough getting a leg that was really comfortable. Now,like Neal I put it on when I get up and take it off when I go to bed. And I am back to doing just about everything I did before the accident--just in a different way. I moved this summer and have been renovating for the last six months, so I am happy I had it done. Right now life is really good.

Peace and welcome again,

Beth Marie

Welcome Chris. I think you made the right decision. You can't expect a totally painfree life ahead. I even have an occasional 'bad leg day' after 7.5 years. Considering your age I think you'll do just fine with a prosthesis. I was 47 when I lost mine and yet everyone marvels at how well I walk and do things. It isn't such a marvel to me as I hardly notice the leg anymore. My leg goes on first thing in the morning and comes off when I go to bed at night. The only other time it comes off is when showering or swimming in a pool. I prefer to use a leg when swimming in rivers, lakes or the ocean.

Getting your first leg and walking again is a great moment to experience. I'm glad you'll get it by Christmas. That's pretty fast to go from amp to leg. It was 6 weeks for me. I'm getting a new socket right now. It's a process I hate, but necessary to get the fit just right.

Stay tuned as your leg will be going through quite a few changes over the next few months. You'll have to get rid of all that swelling from surgery, then your leg will start the process of shrinking as your muscles atrophy.

Hello Neal.

I dont at all expect to have a totally painfree life, but I am already in less pain than what I was in. The way my foot was before was as if I was wearing a roller blade 24/7, having that stiff feeling because there was absolutely no movement in the foot or ankle. I am sure I will have to adapt just as I had to before.

I happen to have the upper-hand on most amputees because my leg was about as skinny as my arm before the surgery do to all of the muscle atrophy from not having a moveable foot. Therefore, my swelling as the doctors have said is very minimal.

I get my stitches removed tomorrow, and I get the shrinker on thurs, and then the following tues I am getting fitted for the prosthetic.

I was given the removable hard dressing the day before I was discharged from the hospital, and within the following 4 days I was already wearing all 6 socks given to me.

Whats kinda funny is that the remaining muscle that I have on my stump seems to actually fucntion more than it did before the surgery. And I also think I maybe lucky because I have 100% normal feeling in the stump, as far as touch and feel sensation. Absoultely 0 numbness.

Right now I feel the same exact nerve pain as I was before, so there really isn't much new sensations at all.

Thank you all for a warm welcome to this forum, and for the positive feedback. I will be trying to get on the computer more than I used to, to post messages, and read and reply to others.

I think it is great to finally be able to relate to others, and have others relate with me. I am definately looking forward to building some relationships with others on here.

GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

By the way, I live in Canton, Ohio. Maybe if there are others that may live near me, we could someday meet in person.

Once I get more familiar with the forum I will add more profile information, along with a picture of my ugly self lol.

Welcome Chris! I am going to be 6 months post op this month. I am a rbk amp. I am doing very well. I have already tried skating. I am able to wear my prosthetic full days now too. I am excited for my new life! You will do great!

Mary

Welcome Chris! I am going to be 6 months post op this month. I am a rbk amp. I am doing very well. I have already tried skating. I am able to wear my prosthetic full days now too. I am excited for my new life! You will do great!

Mary

I can't wait to get back into skating. I love to roller skate, ever since I was about 8 yrs old. I have never been ice skating but I would like to try it.

Hi Chris. Welcome to the site. I had my Ertl RBK last year Nov 30th. Scooter accident 2 Jan 2009- about a total of 14 surgeries to fix all of my injuries incuding the right ankle.

After one year I am on my second definitive socket (seal in suction socket Ossur) and I am doing very well averaging 13-14 hours a day in the leg.

Best of luck going forward.