Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
igor

hello everybody. i'm igor - 28 years old. i will have below the knee amputation in january 2012 as result of bad healing after serius motorbike injury in may 2010. there's no chance to save my leg so amputation is only solution if i want to walk again without support. i don't know a lot of about amputations and amputees and that's why i'm here

hello everybody. i'm igor - 28 years old. i will have below the knee amputation in january 2012 as result of bad healing after serius motorbike injury in may 2010. there's no chance to save my leg so amputation is only solution if i want to walk again without support. i don't know a lot of about amputations and amputees and that's why i'm here

Hi Igor,

Glad you found this forum. My husband and I were in a motorcycle accident in August 2010 and we both are left below the knee amputees. I think you will see that being an amputee doesn't keep you from living your life and doing what you want to do.

Welcome!

thanks for message kitkat. your story is very uncomon if i can say that but also grat inspiration for all us. how are both of you now?

Hi, igor, and welcome! This is a good place to learn about amputation and amputees, so go right ahead and look around, ask questions, and start making plans to get on with living your life following your amputation.

I'm also a left below-knee amputee since March 2005. My amputation resulted from a broken foot that could not be repaired...but we have many, many members who have lost limbs from motorcycle and other traffic accidents, and I'm sure they'll be able to give you some good advice!

Welcome Igor. Your life is far from over just because of losing a foot. I lost my left leg almost 8 years ago. It slowed me down for a bit, but I lead a very full, active life.

thanks for message kitkat. your story is very uncomon if i can say that but also grat inspiration for all us. how are both of you now?

We are both doing very well. I am a Physical Therapist and my husband is an Electrician. We have both returned to work full time and he has resumed riding motorcycles. Mainly off road but he is beginning to look at getting another Harley. I am not planning on riding again but it was never really my passion like it is his. I am a little nervous about it but he has ridden since he was a kid and I might as well ask him to stop breathing as ask him not to ride anymore. Anyway, after the first year, being an amputee is mainly just an inconvenience now. Basic things like changing your shoes and traveling are a little more difficult and take more time but you get used to it and there isn't really an option - life goes on.

Hi Igor and welcome.

I am also a lbk (although not through an accident) and as has already been posted it is not the end of the world, yes it will be hard at first but you are young and you will quickly adapt. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask away as someone on here is bound to know the answer.

Sue