Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jane K

Tips & tricks in getting up & down a/k/a getting off ones butt

Hi,

I'm hoping to get ideas how to either get up from a seated position - particularly a low seat - and to do the same in reverse. For reference I am a right leg through knee amputee since August 2010.

This question sounds stupidly simple to accomplish but I have managed to add another factor to make it a bit more of a challenge. I have severely over strained my left leg quad muscle over this past month to the point that my leg buckled this past Saturday morning . I was very fortunate to be holding a door open for a fellow and was able to use a death grip to cling onto the door handle rather than going splat on the sidewalk. Having tested the splat technique, in multiple applications, I really haven't wanted to revisit that particular skill set. I will defend myself to say I'm not a klutz. I was overtired and running on fumes. My three siblings and I had been taking turns staying with my Mom since Nov 23 when a bad appendix was not correctly detected. Emergency surgery was performed on Thanksgiving Day but the poisons were not all cleaned out and she passed away on December 14th. The round the clock coverage - which we would all do again in a heart beat - and then the clean out of her home taxed my already aggravated remaining knee. I do present a very interesting picture with a right leg prosthetic and a ortho. velcro wrap around my left knee.

Sorry for the rambling... but I am hoping to get pointers how to get up and down without aggravating a very tender left knee. I do use my arms when ever I can and I'm bringing my wheel chair to my office to reduce the constant up/down plight inherent in any office work.

Your time and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane

PS If you have pain in your gut and your Doc tries to tells you your just constipated run away fast!

Jane, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. As for the "getting up and down" issue, I'm afraid that, as your basic below-knee, I may not have much advice there. I do know that during the time when I was having to get around without my prosthesis, I put a lot of strain on my remaining knee. I wound up spending a lot of time in my wheelchair...and when I needed to stand up I did a lot of supporting myself with my arms and then balancing my amp-side knee on the chair seat to take pressure off the other leg. (FYI, I am really really lousy at using crutches, so the wheelchair was "it" for me.)

There is an older thread around here with tips and tricks for doing basic amp-activities which might provide some tips for you, and I'm sure that once we get through the holidays, there will be some more folks who are closer to being in your situation around to advise you.

Good luck...hope all gets better for you!

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your thoughts. I will scroll through past input on this site. As you say this isn't a uncommon problem in this club.

A new year is fast approaching. Onwards & upwards! Best wishes to all!

Jane

Hi,

I'm hoping to get ideas how to either get up from a seated position - particularly a low seat - and to do the same in reverse. For reference I am a right leg through knee amputee since August 2010.

This question sounds stupidly simple to accomplish but I have managed to add another factor to make it a bit more of a challenge. I have severely over strained my left leg quad muscle over this past month to the point that my leg buckled this past Saturday morning . I was very fortunate to be holding a door open for a fellow and was able to use a death grip to cling onto the door handle rather than going splat on the sidewalk. Having tested the splat technique, in multiple applications, I really haven't wanted to revisit that particular skill set. I will defend myself to say I'm not a klutz. I was overtired and running on fumes. My three siblings and I had been taking turns staying with my Mom since Nov 23 when a bad appendix was not correctly detected. Emergency surgery was performed on Thanksgiving Day but the poisons were not all cleaned out and she passed away on December 14th. The round the clock coverage - which we would all do again in a heart beat - and then the clean out of her home taxed my already aggravated remaining knee. I do present a very interesting picture with a right leg prosthetic and a ortho. velcro wrap around my left knee.

Sorry for the rambling... but I am hoping to get pointers how to get up and down without aggravating a very tender left knee. I do use my arms when ever I can and I'm bringing my wheel chair to my office to reduce the constant up/down plight inherent in any office work.

Your time and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane

PS If you have pain in your gut and your Doc tries to tells you your just constipated run away fast!

Hi Jane

Very sorry to hear about your mum. Like Cheryl am a b/k myself, though bilateral so use my arms a lot when moving & balancing etc., but have had my share of strained quad muscles over the years and have found the only real way to heal them was to rest up, sometimes I will use crutches and sometimes give up on the walking and use the wheelchair. Am realizing that stress plays a big part in how we are, maybe thats why also get problems when they are least wanted.

Good luck with it all, my thoughts are with you.

Ann

Hi Jane, sorry to hear about your mum. As a LBK I'm not sure how much help I can be but have you considered one of those cushions with a spring so that as you start to rise the spring gives you a boost? I realise it would only be any good for the chair you use most as you couldn't really carry it around but maybe at home. Hopefully someone else may be along with more useful suggestions soon.

Sue

PS This is what I meant http://www.amazon.com/Uplift-Technologies-UPE-Lifting-Cushion/dp/B000095ZMP

Hi Jane, I too am sorry to hear the of the sad times you are having. That whole situation with your Mother

was extremely harsh and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

As far as the low seating goes, unless you are an acrobat, have extremely strong quads in your good leg, or an

ability to levitate, then you must avoid low seating at all times. That is unless you do not mind asking for

someone to help you up, or you could roll onto the floor and get up from there :0.

I have been a very active AK since 2008 and have found no way to beat low soft seating. If there are no

alternatives I either stand, kneel on the prosthetic knee, or sit on the floor. I have no trouble rising

from those positions. But in low, soft seats, there is something about the socket jambed up into my abdomen

that makes it impossible to maneuver. In fact, I don't think that even extremely strong quads would be

that helpful. The socket in the abdomen keeps you pressed back in the seat. But, keep trying and if you do

succeed one day, please let me know.

Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO US ALL!!!!!

Peter

Hi Jane,

Sorry to read about your mother.

No great words of wisdom coming from me I afraid. I can’t think of a simple thing that will help other than try not to sit in low down seats, I have recently just got over a badly knackered ankle myself and found it extremely difficult it getting upright and about . I think the term that I am looking for is “prevention is better than cure.”

I think that we (well I do anyway) still think that we can carry on as normal just like we did pre amp days and if you overdo it something has to give ,(in my case my ankle in yours the knee). So as a very wise lady once told me lissen to what your body is telling you and stop before it become a problem.(easier said than done I know)

Which bring it round to a very interesting thing, do you?

Just take every thing very easy...saving your good leg for the future

Or

Just get on with it and live each day to the fullest and worry about the rest of your leg packing up when it happens (as you are well aware some of us know there may not be a tomorrow so we make the most of today)……………..your thoughts ?.

The only thing I can say with any certainly is give your knee plenty of time to recover, and take it easy building up slowly to start with …………………..But you know that anyway.

Whilst I am on here I would like to say that I hope that all our readers have a very good new year ……………..Mick

Hi Jane,

Sorry to read about your mother.

No great words of wisdom coming from me I afraid. I can’t think of a simple thing that will help other than try not to sit in low down seats, I have recently just got over a badly knackered ankle myself and found it extremely difficult it getting upright and about . I think the term that I am looking for is “prevention is better than cure.”

I think that we (well I do anyway) still think that we can carry on as normal just like we did pre amp days and if you overdo it something has to give ,(in my case my ankle in yours the knee). So as a very wise lady once told me lissen to what your body is telling you and stop before it become a problem.(easier said than done I know)

Which bring it round to a very interesting thing, do you?

Just take every thing very easy...saving your good leg for the future

Or

Just get on with it and live each day to the fullest and worry about the rest of your leg packing up when it happens (as you are well aware some of us know there may not be a tomorrow so we make the most of today)……………..your thoughts ?.

The only thing I can say with any certainly is give your knee plenty of time to recover, and take it easy building up slowlyo start with …………………..But you know that anyway.

Whilst I am on here I would like to say that I hope that all our readers have a very good new year ……………..Mick

Good Morning Everyone,

Sue, Peter & Mick thank you for your thoughts. Peter - I particularly like your levitation suggestion. It certainly would solve many issues for all and would be a blast to do. I'll work on the patent asap. And as a added bonus the work thing would be unnecessary...less need for continual up and down... What can anyone say about the down side?

I am heeding all your advise to take it easy as I opted to skip the pool this am, enjoy morning tea and then head to the office with the wheel chair in tow.

I will admit here - but deny any where else - I was perhaps too busy this weekend. I didn't pick up anything heavy but I was on my feet quite a bit. Friends came over and helped schlepped furniture, boxes and more stuff from my Mom's place. Cosy would not quite adequately describe the house. Cluttered and general chaos rules. Such is life.

Have a great day all.

Jane

You seem to have a great sense of humor. That alone will take you far. Best of luck to you. :smile: