Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve C

Pinching and blisters

Would anyone have a problem with a liner (thin liner with the pin system) that tends to crease the skin? My problem area is in the back and about 3-4" below the knee.

It seems to crease/pinch the skin and has caused what looks like either a blister or abrasion. Very painful! Wearing a adhesive bandage does seem to help but I try to keep the leg off and the bandage off to help it heal quicker.

Is there any advice to why may be happening?

Would anyone have a problem with a liner (thin liner with the pin system) that tends to crease the skin? My problem area is in the back and about 3-4" below the knee.

It seems to crease/pinch the skin and has caused what looks like either a blister or abrasion. Very painful! Wearing a adhesive bandage does seem to help but I try to keep the leg off and the bandage off to help it heal quicker.

Is there any advice to why may be happening?

I had something like this occur with a thicker liner on the front of one of my stumps, I don't really think it was the liner because I wear the same type on the other leg and I have never had this occur. I had quite a bit sort of oval shaped area which looked like it was an abrasion or a red sort of raised bruise, it was quite painful to walk on and took several days to disappear even when I had stopped wearing the leg. My thinking is that mine was either the prosthesis, which was new, not fitting me correctly, or the liner not fitting my leg properly. I gave up with it in the end, as giving me more room on that spot didn't help and they just couldn't seem to address it, so have gone back to socks on that side.

Hello Steve,

Not sure if this will help, a year or so go I got something that sounds very similar to what you described. Nothing had changed maybe I lost a small amount of weight but nothing certain.

Anyway I found it almost impossible to go without my arty leg so I discovered if I put a small amount of hand cream on the offending spot it somehow prevented the skin from creasing / pinching, maybe it allowed the skin to slide around rather than pinch up. The downside of this is if you use too much cream the liner will start to slide down off the stump.

Might work ….might not but it’s worth a try.

I have the same problems. Why? I dont know. I just do like Mick said, I use a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of Vasaline in the area. I cant stress enough not to use alot or you will be swimming in it. When I put it on, I always put the Vasaline on the same area daily and check for anything that might give me trouble during the day. I do have to mention that the area I have problems with is the skin graft area that is very thin skin so I think that is my problem with blisters and such. Hope this helps !!

Steve, is this a new liner for you? I went through a period of skin irritation with a liner...at first they thought it was a fit issue, but when they replaced the liner with one in a different size, the irritation continued. Now I'd been wearing this particular manufacturer's liner for several months, but it seems that I'd just managed to develop a sensitivity to the material. I finally went back to a liner from an earlier maker, and the skin cleared up within three days.

If you've lost weight or had some other type of shrinkage, that might also encouage the skin to "fold" and create irritation.

The hand lotion, vasoline, ointment treatment may do the job, but I'd suggest looking into other reasons too, in hopes of finding a more permanent solution.