Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jane K

Swimming fins

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone had tried a swimming fin called "Shinfin"? It is made differently from a traditional fin in that is straps to the ankle, calf or whatever one has to work with. The design relies on hip movement to best utilize its design.

I meant to ask this question before I ordered it - which I did this morning - but any imput would be appreciated.

The fins are made by a company in Australia and they are pricey - about $105 but they will be worth it if they work for me. I've always been a swimmer, but never bothered with fins before but feel my right leg kick lacks some of its old strength. Lacking a foot, calf and knee will do that to a stroke!

Thanks for your thoughts. Have a great week!

Jane

No experience myself, Jane...although I thought about them before I got my water leg. However, I do know a fellow who is a bilateral amp and has used them, and he swears by them. Hope they work out well for you...I'm sure folks here would appreciate your review once your fin arrives!

Hi Jane,

Hope all is well with you.

I have to admit it is something that I have never even looked at, when I go swimming one of the first things that I had to learn is not to kick with my stumpy limb as the lack of resistance almost caused me to dislocate the bone at the hip, having a flipper on the stump might help stop this happening as it will add some resistance, (at the moment I don’t use my stumpy limb at all). So please let me know how it works out and if it’s a success I might get one, thanks for sharing

Take care ……………………Mick

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone had tried a swimming fin called "Shinfin"? It is made differently from a traditional fin in that is straps to the ankle, calf or whatever one has to work with. The design relies on hip movement to best utilize its design.

I meant to ask this question before I ordered it - which I did this morning - but any imput would be appreciated.

The fins are made by a company in Australia and they are pricey - about $105 but they will be worth it if they work for me. I've always been a swimmer, but never bothered with fins before but feel my right leg kick lacks some of its old strength. Lacking a foot, calf and knee will do that to a stroke!

Thanks for your thoughts. Have a great week!

Jane

Hi Jane, I am sure there was someone else on this forum who used these fins and posted about them a few years back, though I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, but I do remember it.

Sorry Mick I didn't understand your problem with your stump and your hip in the water, I am bilateral so obviously have to use the amputated stumps if am swimming, though don't actually swim very much these days as not a particularly good swimmer, but have swum without this problem and have recently been advised to think about swimming.

Hi Jane, I am sure there was someone else on this forum who used these fins and posted about them a few years back, though I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, but I do remember it.

Sorry Mick I didn't understand your problem with your stump and your hip in the water, I am bilateral so obviously have to use the amputated stumps if am swimming, though don't actually swim very much these days as not a particularly good swimmer, but have swum without this problem and have recently been advised to think about swimming.

My apologies Ann I didn’t really explain that very well, actually its quite hard to put into words, what it is was when I first started swimming again, being a bit on the daft side I dived straight in and headed for the far end doing a fast crawl, what I did notice was when I came to kick the left leg (stump) I threw the same amount of effort into it only when it came to hit the water and thus propel myself forward because there was no resistance as it went through the water the speed didn’t slow down and caused me to almost pop what was left of the bone out of the socket at the hip , resulting in a very load crack noise , felt sick at the time but no harm done . I was just thinking if I had a flipper attached to it would it cause a bit more resistance and slow things down a bit.

What I am trying to say is now when I swim I am very very carful not to “kick hard” with my stumpy leg.

Reading this back it still not very clear but it’s the best I can do to describe it. Sorry

Hi Ann & Mick

Thanks for your input - you both have been very kind offering input & support in my time with this club.

The new fins have not yet arrived but I will let you know how they work out.

I mentioned them to my local PT folks and they seem receptive to hearing how they work for me. I'm always happy to be a guinea pig if it can help some one else. Why reinvent the wheel...

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jane

Hi Jane,

I am an AK and swim laps, 4,500 miles. I use one fin on my good leg. It is a split fin and has less resistance than typical training fins, easy on my knee. The main reason I use it is to keep my body horizontal at the surface so I swim better.