Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
dalec919

Mechanical knee for outdoor activities

Hello community- I'm looking for recommendations from experianced AKs regarding mechanical knees. I have been using computer assisted knees since I lost my leg 3 yrs back. The problem with electronic knees is water, mud, etc will damage or stop them from working. I am looking for a good durable knee as a second leg for the weekends that is hydraulic or mechanical, that is decent to walk around in, but can get wet or even muddy. My activities are things like cutting firewood, riding ATVs on muddy roads, canoeing, woodworking, and the like. My prosthetist suggested one of the endolite knees, but my experiance with endolite products hasn't been very good so far. Any suggestions? - Dale

What computer knee do you have?

I work on music festivals throughout the summer and my C-Leg regularly gets a little muddy (think being pushed over in really deep mud by drunken idiot members of the audience). I wash it down carefully after use and have had no problems at all (always make sure that I'm using the dust caps).

Depending on the activities perhaps an XT9 would be a good idea. It allows you to stand in a crouched position for sports such as MotoX, snowboarding etc. It's waterproof and mud resistant. The downside is it isn't really any good for walking due to the way that the spring that provides the support for crouching works.

Long term I'd seriously look at the new Genium, I'm trailing one at the moment and some of the features sound like they'd be perfect for you.

Most computer knees are pretty resilient and are capable of being used for almost all of the activities you describe except the canoeing and having dearly drowned thanks to a water knee I'd prefer to leave my prosthesis in the car/locker room/at home. Jobs like cutting firewood are the sort of activities you should be wearing a computer knee for as the added stability they give you should enable you to concentrate one the big scary sharp tool you wielding rather than having half your mind on your posture.

Hi Grum,

Been a while since I checked the board here, and I think the site was down for a few weeks. I am supposed to be getting a Genium to replace my Rheo knee, but from some of the reviews I have seen on it, not sure thats a good thing or not. I am also approved to get a second knee and foot, so I'm wanting a good solid mechanical setup that can stand some water, mud etc.

My prosthetist suggested an Endolite Mercury, but I dont have any info on that one.

Thanks for sharing your experiances.

Dale

Mercury is HEAVY. I have one for skiing. A Mauch is great and the CLeg was built off the Mauchs design

ive found the best mechanical knee is the ottobock 3r60 it is the only 4 bar with a locking stance flex

i can walk down steep inclines without a care in the world thanks to the locking stance flex.....im a very active outdoorsman so this is the knee of choice

http://www.ottobock.com/cps/rde/xchg/ob_com_en/hs.xsl/1921.html

as far as getting it wet i havent had a issue and its still kicking lol. if i know the possibility is there of me getting it real wet, i use a trash bag around the leg and taped to the socket.

Prior to C-Leg I had a 3r80 for several years...best mechanical knee I ever used. Beat the sh*t out of it, got it wet on occasion and, with pretty much annual piston rebuilds, never had a problem.

The Mauch works for me. progressive yield and the ability to look or be totally free (cycling) is very useful