Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jane K

how to make a silicone liner surface rough?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions how to make a silicone liner surface rough. This is an odd question I realize but what I'm trying to do is to be able to use a different type of flipper on my short leg. The flipper wraps around the leg with wide rubber straps. If I can make the sleeve surface rough / gritty I could use the flipper over the liner and not irritate sensitive leg points.

The flippers are something I found on line from a company in Australia. The let me have some power on my short leg rather than just kicking with no affect.

I thought about trying something like cement glue or some type of super glue but rather than reinvent the wheel I wanted to put the question out to you all. Between everyone there is such a wealth of information to be found.

Thanks for your input.

Jane

From the website Jane.......dunno if it helps

Here are a few general points:

~ If you have difficulty controlling leg movements (e.g. due to Cerebral Palsy), the shinfin™ natural flexibility and flex will guide you to a more streamlined kick for freestyle, backstroke and fly. The fins are specifically designed to encourage a streamlined kick. They guide your muscles to achieve a natural rhythmic movement. Their ability to help overcome difficulties with movement control is very impressive.

~ If either or both feet are amputated, the fins will help lift your legs to a horizontal swimming position and encourage a natural, powerful, streamlined kick.

~ If you have at least 20cm (8") of leg length below the knee, they should strap around your leg without modification.

~ If the amputation is higher, you will probably need to trim the top of the fins with scissors, to reduce water drag at the leading edge. This is fairly easy and I am happy to give you guidance, or do it for you.

~ If one or both legs are amputated above the knee, then the fins can be strapped to the back or front of your thigh. If the distance around your limb where you wish to strap the fins, is greater than about 40cm (16"), then you may need longer fin straps (which we can provide on request).

~ Please do not hesitate to email me with your questions and suggestions. This helps me to learn too, and hence improve my service to other disabled swimmers.

Jane, what about making the straps or "foot" portion of the fin "rough," instead of your liner? Maybe something like velcro straps (the "hook" part) glued into the flipper?

Just a wild guess........ :blush:

Going to the source...that's way, waayy too sensible, Cat!

Hi Cheryl & Cat,

Reading the directions - way to easy and logical. Doing that takes all the fun out of the discovery.

I was planning to write to Marc - the owner of the "Shinfin" company after I check with this site. Marc has been very helpful when I emailed him with questions before I bought the fins. However I figured this site might reach some one who has tinkered with fins before...went to the well of knowledge and experience. Worth a shot anyway!

I'll email Marc this morning and see what he thinks.

Thanks, Jane

How DARE you accuse me of being sensible!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

Don't know what liner you use but you could try some silicone sealant, the type you use for caulking bathrooms. It's silicone so its flexible and waterproof. The only issue you might have is getting it to bond to your liner although if you've got a liner with a fabric outer this shouldn't be a problem.

Stand your liner on something so you can work on it then squeeze out a nice thick bead of sealant then (here's the messy bit) rub the sealant into the liner fabric. If you get this right you should end up with a reasonably thick textured surface that your fin straps can bond to.

I should say that I haven't done this myself for this purpose but i have worked with silicone a fair bit and I have dressed the top of my liner with silicone.

Oh, and make sure you're wearing some disposable glover when you do it as silicone sealant is a real pain to clean up.

Hi Grum,

Thanks for your idea. I'll keep it in mind if the suggestion I received from the fin company doesn't pan out. The idea suggested was to try wetsuit neoprene material under the fins. As it happens there is a small swim suit manufacture down the street from my office. I spoke today with the owner asking could I buy a leg sleeve alone. He's game to see what might work for me. I plan to stop by tomorrow and get a measurement done of my thigh so a sleeve can be stitched together.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained!

Jane