Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gibby

Getting a new leg

Started the project of getting a new ak leg today - completely new. I haven't had an entirely new leg in about nine years. My c-leg is nine years old and is shot and socket fit is out of whack beyond adjustment. I did just get a new foot last year and got a new socket maybe 5 years ago and also had one major expensive c-leg repair in the middle. But now it's time to start from scratch.

This got me to wondering about others' experiences with new legs.

• How often have you had to get an entirely new leg?

• When you do, how long does it take you to go from start to finish - finish being when it's working good and no further adjustments needed from the initial fitting/construction?

• Do you often just replace parts like the socket, knee, etc. or get a whole new leg if something goes wrong with a major component?

This is the longest I've ever gone without getting an entirely new leg. I think it has often taken me six months or more to get a new leg perfected. The last one though was less than this - new prosthetist finally figured out something unique about my alignment and got it right pretty quick. It was maybe 6-8 weeks. I also stopped getting a cosmetic cover when I got a c-leg so that saved A LOT of time as I was so picky about getting the shape of that thing perfect - which of course it never is.

How about you?

I don't like the process, but when it gets done right, it is so nice. I got a new leg in Dec. I've had it tweaked once and will need at least one more tweaking to get it feeling just right. Worse part for me is that I travel 100 miles each way for my legman.

I'm working on a new socket as I write this.... Last year, a whole new set up.... I had switched to a newer socket design, hence, the second socket....I had more shrinking..

The last new set-up I was in, I had for about 5 years..... It worked good, but I tend to need a new socket every couple of years.... That's just the way thing kinda roll for me.... but then again, I haven't ever followed the norm on this..

I don't really think that there is a steadfast, set in stone way... It just depends on each individual, and how their lives are.... Me, I live on a farm, so mine gets a lot of dirt and tends to need a little more maintenance...more often.Then, I saw a foot design at a conference that I really liked, with a hydrolic ankle and wanted to give it a try...

I went through my first five years just replacing my socket...over, and over, and over again. I shrank massively for many, many years, needing a new socket about every six months on average. Then, at the five-year point, it was determined that I had finally stabilized enough to upgrade everything and I got a full new leg. That one lasted me a year...at which point I moved and got a new prosthetist, who decided he wanted to take me in a whole new direction...so we spent several months justifying the need for another brand-new leg! I've had this one since last fall, now, and I'm really glad to have it! It was the easiest leg I've ever had to break in...only one small adjustment on the angle of the foot...everything else worked right from the start. Most of my others, be it just a socket change or "new everything" took at least a month of repeat visits to get things worked out.

So, yeah, Higgy's right...there's an awful lot of variety in the way we get our limbs!

Ya I feel really fortunate that I've had great luck over the last nine years. I couldn't believe it has been that long. Fortunately my legwoman is only about 15 minutes from my office. She is also an excellent prosthetist - who I fortunately found after about 20 years of lousy ones. That makes all the difference in the world - something I don't think you can fully comprehend when you're a new amputee.

I'm working on a new socket as I write this.... Last year, a whole new set up.... I had switched to a newer socket design, hence, the second socket....I had more shrinking..

The last new set-up I was in, I had for about 5 years..... It worked good, but I tend to need a new socket every couple of years.... That's just the way thing kinda roll for me.... but then again, I haven't ever followed the norm on this..

I don't really think that there is a steadfast, set in stone way... It just depends on each individual, and how their lives are.... Me, I live on a farm, so mine gets a lot of dirt and tends to need a little more maintenance...more often.Then, I saw a foot design at a conference that I really liked, with a hydrolic ankle and wanted to give it a try...

Higgy, what is the name of the foot & ankle ur getting this time? I would like to look it up, as I am also working on a new leg. Have a great day...we are having good weather here, but don't like the way its been 70's one day & 20's the next. Doesn't due much for the sinuses. :happy: