Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
maggie6

advice on cotton liners

hi everyone first timer on forum have been on all mornin reading your tips and tricks but nothin on cotton liners im a fairly new amputee stump shrinkin at a fast rate at present waerin 5 socks how can u disguise their bulk and tight elastic read heather mills cuts hers to shape of knee brace but what can u use to hold them up quitee skinny so its a real problem PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!while im on how long till u get a leg that actually looks like a leg in size as well as looks going on hols in july appreciate any tips on a hot beach holiday and what can i expect at the airport will i need to take my leg off so man y questions i need to ask so this wont b the last u all here from me

stay safe folks,thankyou in advance for your help x

Hi, maggie6, and welcome to the Forum! I'm glad you found us and are looking around. I'm a BKA of just over seven years and, at long last, have reached a point where I'm not having to wear dozens of layers of sox. It really can be frustrating, can't it?

You can indeed cut stump sox to various lengths and shapes. I've done it for years...I've even cut holes in the sides of sox when I've needed to take pressure off a tender spot of some type. When you're wearing as many layers as you are, it is difficult to disguise the sheer bulk of them. I'm not sure how often you're able to get a new socket, but it might be time to try!

If you're still in the rapid-shrinking stages, your leg will look out-of-proportion for a while. My own first leg looked pretty "natural" as far as shape and coloration...but by the time I got my third socket, you could stack them all inside each other like Russion nesting dolls! I can't say how long it will take to get your leg "scaled down" to something that looks proportionate to your other leg...that's one of those things that can be very individualized when it comes to amputees. But it will, indeed, happen for you! Until then, try and remember that, if you feel comfortable with yourself and your leg, the vast majority of folks will never really focus on the size difference...they'll just see you and be glad you're around! :smile:

Hi Maggie,

Welcome to the forum! When I was first amputated I wore cotton liners as I am allergic to wool. I think at one time I was using 12 socks! At that point I was put in an Otto Bock suction liner--the one with white rings around the bottom and I have been using that for the last 6-7 years. I like it, but at times I have to wear a latex liner inside of the main one. I moved last summer and the new leg guy is having difficulty finding the right inner liners which has been a pain.

It is really strange--I just got back from a meeting in Boston and it seemed as if my leg swelled or something as my prothesis was tight the whole time, but I am back home in British Columbia and it is back to normal--so it seems nothing stays the same.

My amputated leg matches, more or less, my other leg, so just give it time. I am really glad you found the forum.

Peace, Beth Marie

I've never had to take my leg off at the airport.

The sock thing drove me crazy with my first leg. Fortunately (?) I shrunk very quickly and was ready for my second leg in 3 months. I was up to 30 ply of socks. Very difficult to wear clothes with all that. My current leg is the same system Beth Marie has and I like it very well. I am almost ready for my next leg and will most likely use the same type of suspension.

In the US you do not have to, and cannot be asked to, take off your leg at the airport and you may keep your shoes on too. It is easier and faster if you remove your shoes but you do not have to. They will pat you down pretty thoroughly and do a swabbing of your palms and your leg socket to see if you have any illegal contaminents on them. Sometimes they will x-ray all sides of your prosthetic leg with a small machine. Takes a little extra time but it is mostly bearable. I don't know what they do in other countries but will find out this summer when I visit in the UK.

By the way my second leg fit easily inside my first leg too and since I don't wear socks or a sleeve clothes fit much nicer. I am now wondering what to do when my fake leg is smaller than my regular leg but will tackle that problem when it arises.