Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tiny1

Hey, new from SC!

Hello, I am a family member of someone who recently had an amputation. My brother had his left leg amputated below the knee on 1-6-2012 due to complications from diabetes. He has become such an inspiration to me because he didn't let it slow him down, and he has never felt sorry for himself. He just keeps trying until he gets it right. It's hard sometimes to stand back and let him do things for himself, but I came to realize that if I did everything for him, he would never get up and do for himself. That has been the hardest thing about this whole situation, but hopefully, he will be getting his prosthetic next Thursday. I can't wait to see him walk again.

• Like 1

It sounds like he has the right attitude...and it's good for you to stand back and let him have at it! One of the least-helpful things a family member can do is to "try to make life easier" for an amputee. It's not an easy sprt of life, but it is absolutely "do-able" with some effort and imagination. Letting him figure that out for himself is just what he needs!

So just hang around, let him "vent" when he gets frustrated, and show him that you know he can do it. In other words, treat him just like your brother...'cause that's who he is!

The best to both of you......... :biggrin:

• Like 1

He will be seeing many new challenges over the next few months. Like Cheryl said, it's best that he learns to do them himself. We are here to help steer him in the right direction as we have learned ourselves. There will be ups and downs. Let him know that it's ok to let his emotions out. It can be very frustrating trying to learn to do things again. It can get overwhelming for some.

• Like 1

Good answers U gal & guys!