Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainKB

Changed Leg Doc and Style Socket Love it!!

I changed Leg docs. I had the new C-leg and the choice of three great feet, sub atmospheric electric pump vacuum blah blah..........

I ran across this younger Leg man who still lectures at Northwestern University. He developed a brimless socket for me that has a frame that is wrapped in a rubberized plastic. Harder in some areas, softer in others where my muscle is to allow for flex while walking, skiing , whatever. It is sooooooooooooooooo comfortable not to have anything around my crotch or high thigh. The brimless flexible socket allows me to sit for hours in comfort. Ride a bike with no interference. My gait has gotten better since my feet are about 5 inches apart now when walking.

Still suction socket using the Limb Logic which now has the new seal ring. It is so quite and rarely goes off. Still have the new c-leg and I use the New AT-1 Renegade which is perfect for my walking style, weight and airport hopping.

Another difference is the liner. The liner he uses is a Medi-Pro which is specially designed for the vacuum system. It also is partly made from UMBRELLAN the material used to help with Phantom pain.

It feels like butter is what I told my new leg man.

Just had to share since you folks are the only people that would understand.

Kirk

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing Kirk. I'm glad you got a new leg that better suits your lifestyle.

A lot of amps don't realize that they can see someone else. They're lead to believe that they are stuck with the same leg shop. It sometimes helps to get another perspective. The younger guys haven't formed the rut that many prosthetists get in. This is where "one size doesn't fit all". I've always been one to look for and try new technology. It hasn't always worked, but it kept my legman on his toes. I have a new legman and he sees things the same way. He likes diversity.

• Like 1

I agree. you have to always strive for something better if there is such a thing. Not doing so would be like staying with a dentist that still fills cavities with silver and lead.

Technology is always changing and it is not coming from the guys who used to form legs by carving willow wood.

Thanks for the reply. I've been off the forum for quite a while. Traveling so much for work which is not such a bad thing in today's economy I guess right?

Cheers!

Hi Kirk,

Good for you in pursuing to get what works best for you! Just settling for what is okay will all to quickly become annoying because it isn't good enough.

My leg can be upgraded at the end of next year if I understand the insurance jargon correctly. It will be interesting to see if any new technology can work for my leg needs. Time will tell.

Enjoy your new parts. Sure sounds like you have had great success!

Jane

Hey Kirk - that is awesome! I don't know what I would have done if I had not actively looked for and found a leg man who understands my legs and what I need. I'm so happy for you!

Lynne