Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

I'm a rbk. Has anyone out there found a nice skin? I want aesthetics as well as function. Is this impossible?

In guess you haven't guessed, I want it all!

• Like 1

Marcia, I'm into "naked prostheses" now, but I did once see an amazingly good-looking "skin." It was a custom job--I'm sorry, but I don't remember who made it -- and it was a perfect match for the skin on the real leg. It was for a guy, and they'd even replicated variations in his skin tone, freckles, hair...the whole bit. However, after "showing it off" for a while, he set it aside to wear just for "formal" occasions, as it was not very durable. (Sorry about that!)

Do you have a leg guy who's willing to bring in an assortment of sample skins for you to inspect? There have been so many improvements in the prosthetics field that I'd think someone must have some up with a skin that's both attractive and durable.

Let us know what you find out! :smile:

Hi Marcia

How much can you afford? I have seen a very lifelike one at a private company here in the UK .... I think probably the type HM herself uses. It was some years back I saw it and can't remember the price, but it was expensive ... pretty good though.

Myself I have gone back to the foam and stocking cover ... its pretty functional and what I am used to. Did try the (NHS) silicone covers for a short time, but didn't like them that much, I thought they made the prostheses slightly heavier, which I didn't need (seeing as I am trying to lose weight), I also ended up covering them with stockings anyway as they stuck to clothes a bit ... apart from that cosmetically it looked ok, it just wasn't that practical for me.

Ann

I saw one once like Cheryl described. It cost $7K over the cost of the leg itself. Looked good, but not worth it for me. One of my FB friends had one made. I've never seen a picture of it on him. He was military so they paid for it.

In guess you haven't guessed, I want it all!

Me too mmarie...I think they look OK, w/ flags, eagles, etc., but they are not for me. I want my leg to look like a leg. :happy:

I am a bit the same Ann ... partly because its what I am used to (we didn't used to get a choice because of the way they were made). It's good that there is choice though and most people can decide what they prefer.

Hi,

In the beginning I wore cosmetic skin, but when I went to the Amputation Coalition meeting I saw so many without it and I decided, what the heck and ditched the cosmesis. I was going through one a month and I have been very happier without it. The cosmesis looked so fake.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi,

In the beginning I wore cosmetic skin, but when I went to the Amputation Coalition meeting I saw so many without it and I decided, what the heck and ditched the cosmesis. I was going through one a month and I have been very happier without it. The cosmesis looked so fake.

Peace, Beth Marie

I can see why you say that Beth, it probably sounds very weird but to me the silicone cosmesis seemed fake compared with the foam and stocking, lol, people will think I am very strange but think its just what I am used to, and I say to people go with what you are comfortable with.

Recently there has been discussions, I say discussions, more like arguments on some forums/FB pages, about cosmesis which have all got a bit unpleasant. Personally I don't want to change anything I have in my set up, I think someone hit the nail on the head when they said they thought there was a difference in how people who'd grown up using prosthetics felt differently about them to people who started using them later, and I think they had a point, I know I very much think of them as 'my legs' (though obviously realize they are prosthetic) and don't really like them changed, not sure if others feel the same way as I do.

What did concern me though was that some (NHS) users in the UK now 'cannot' get covers given them, so don't have the choice, which is, I think quite concerning.

I definitely agree that amputees should have the right to a cosmesis if that's what feels comfortable to them! I started out in the standard foam-and-stocking cosmesis, at first simply because that's what my leg guys provided me with...and then because, in the course of meeting folks in the office, it made my leg a "non-issue." Once I retired, I quite happily switched to a "naked" leg with a nice piece of fabric laminated onto my socket. Both of those choices were mine to make, and I really think anyone who needs a prosthesis should be able to make the choice that's right for them. Maybe insurance programs (NHS or US insurance companies) truly can't afford to provide the sort of high-end, extremely customized cosmesis that some companies are creating now, but a basic covering for someone who really wants one ought to be a "given."

I am currently "naked". I don't mind it. It's kind of freeing. But it is definitely an attention getter - especially in shorts, which is what we mostly wear here in the sunny South! And if you're a girlie girl, which I sometimes am, it's not at all feminine. :rolleyes: We'll see how it works out.

Hey Marcia,

I totally miss our chats on here, but there never seems to be enough hours in the day honey. I have a friend in Sydney who has the most amazing cosmesis, Have not idea where to direct you over there, but some of the best come from Germany - matched to one sixteenth of your skin colour. More than happy to send you pics, in sandals.

It should never be that hard - if you want one you should have one.

Mx

So good to hear from you! Looks you're staying well and keeping BUSY. :smile: