Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
clanrickarde

DIY Paint Job Prosthetic Socket

Have any of you painted your own socket? I am looking at painting my own "chrome finish" as a do it yourself project. I find that the expense of having it professionally done to be prohibitive from a purely fiscal attitude. Each socket we wear has a finite life span so I do not want to pay big bucks. I pay enough for each socket via out of pocket costs and deductibles after the insurance pays and I do not then want to invest big bucks in a paint job for a leg that will end up sitting on a shelf once it's day is over.

I am looking at a kit from a company called "Alsa Corp" consisting of a basecoat, chrome finish spray paint and a clear coat. It looks like it should provide a good quality finish for a lot less money.

I suppose the basic carbon fiber socket needs some kind of sanding to prepare the surface for the black basecoat primer. Likely just some fine grit sanding and cleaning.

have any of you done your own socket? Were you happy with the result? Mine is already black carbon fiber and is pretty smooth other than having that herringbone pattern common to layered carbon fiber.

Have not done it. However, I'm curious about how it might work out. It sounds logical to me...only worry that something done in preparing the socket might undermine the structural integrity of the socket.

Soooooo....if you determine that you want to try it, I'd be real interested in hearing/seeing the results!

Ditto that.... I met a gentleman that has made a profession out of painting sockets. He started by painting cars, and let his idea carry over from that....

I'd rather do a reasonable job of it myself than pay someone an exorbitant price to do it. The one company that is high profile in the US is over the top expensive in my estimation.

I have heard of people doing fantastic art work on their sockets using an airbrush.

I would suggest a base coat, colour then laquer. It will smell for some time.

Hope this helps.

Actually GTOPI is the outfit I find to be overpriced. i have obtained quotes from small firms that do not specialize in prosthetics and they underbid GTOPI by leaps and bounds.

My legman has hired an artist to do airbrushing on patients at no charge. He can do amazing work at no cost to us. I understand the US Dept of Defence is using GTOPI to decorate the prostheses of military personnel. It's no wonder our country is fast going broke. I know the owner of GTOPI. He does good work, but I agree that he is overpriced.

I do realize that GTOPI was who you were talking about, and so was I. My point was, the chrome finishes that he does,( well, most of his finishes) come from auto paints..At least, that is what he told me a few years ago when I met him the first time he attended a conference. Perhaps, there is someone in your area that does autobody work with paints and just maybe they would be intrigued by the idea.. An old socket, even if not used, would be something for someone to start on.....

I did not paint my leg, but I found some cloth material I really like and the leg fellow laminated it on the socket.

Peace, Beth Marie