Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shelby

Hi again!

Hi everyone! It's been about 4 years since my last post but I'm back! I really have no idea why it's been so long since I've been on. I still keep in contact with some of you on Facebook, but for those of you I don't keep in touch with I'll give you an update, and I'll tell those of you I don't know about me.

I'm a 20 year old right symes amputee. I was born with club foot and in one of the last surgeries to repair the foot it got infected and spread to the bone. By the time the infection was noticed it had spread to the bone and had to be amputated. I was 23 months old. Thankfully I don't remember anything. I've had to overcome a lot since then, and I feel like that has helped make me the strong, independent woman I am today.

Now for the update portion. I was a junior in high school the last time I was on here, so I'll update from there. I probably mentioned wanting to be a vet and my love of chemistry at some point. I decided to go to George Mason University in VA as a chemistry major when I graduated high school. I spent a semester there and hated it for a number of reasons. I came home and went to community for 3 semesters where I became president of the chemistry club and was very involved. I loved it. I couldn't stay there forever, so I decided to go to the University of Delaware last Fall as a Pre-veterinary medicine & animal biosciences major. I'm finishing up my junior year and I absolutely love it here. I'll be applying to vet school this summer.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I'm back (besides missing everyone, of course) is because I'm yet again considering having revision surgery done to have more of my leg amputated. I've been thinking about this for about 5 years, and I'll go into more detail in another post.

I'm really looking forward to catching up with you all! Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 1

Welcome back, Shelby! Sounds like you've had an active few years and are doing a good job of sorting out "what you want to be now that you've grown up!" Sooooo.... what's the deal with the possible revision? Sounds like it's something you've been giving a lot of thought to.......... :smile:

Hi Shelby,

I am also a symes amp and would be interested in why you are thinking of revision, for me the advantages of a symes outweigh the disadvantages so I will look out for your other post.

I'm glad that you are now sorted with what you want to study - sometimes it is so difficult to make the right choice.

Sue

Hi Sue and Cheryl! I remember both of you :)

I'm also glad I have my future plans sorted out. I've known I wanted to be a vet since I was about 3, but I had no idea the road there would be so hard! It's my dream, so it's worth it.

I just posted in general discussion about my recent thoughts, so head on over there to check it out!