Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

OUCH! (Just a grumbling little complaint...)

This has been a wild-and-crazy sort of week for me. The choir I sing with has been in final rehearsals for our Spring concert. In addition to being in all the "choir" numbers, I was also in two different smaller groups, had a solo to sing, and wrote the script for the show. (Yeah, yeah, I know...poor overworked, overcommitted me.... :wink: )

Anyway, after running around frantically for a week, today was "showtime." The dress code was "black slacks and pastel tops." My usual silly orthopedic oxford shoes are beige. Sooooo.....earlier in the week I went out and bought a pair of silly black orthopedic oxfords. And this morning I settled down to go about changing the shoe on my prosthetic foot.

We all know how annoying it can be to put a shoe on a prosthesis...and I had a NEW shoe to put on this fake foot. So I allowed what I thought plenty of time for the great change. It wasn't enough. After nearly half an hour, I was still trying to force the shoe on the foot. And so I decided that I needed some new tool to pry this shoe over the heel of the foot...and there was a claw hammer sitting on the table, only three feet away.

Sooo....did I put the leg on before trying to reach that hammer? Did I use a "grabber" to reach across those three feet to grab the hammer? Did I at least have my walker nearby to balance on when I stood up one-legged to lean over and snatch the hammer off the table? Oh noooooo....not this gal! I stood up, one-legged, tried to balance on that one leg and, clutz that I am, promptly tipped over. I landed first directly on the end of the pin on my liner, driving it up into my stump. Which hurt. So then I flung myself forward and landed with the base of my stump folded up underneath me. OUCH!

But it was show day...and so I butt-walked back to the table, grabbed the hammer, and heaved myself back up on the sofa...where the claw on the hammer was, indeed, just what I needed to get the shoe the rest of the way onto the foot. Then I put the leg on, grabbed my music, and hobbled out the door. The adrenaline was really pumping, so I made it to the theater and through the concert with "only a little discomfort." Then I went out to dinner with friends, and the adrenaline stopped flowing, and when I went to stand up...well.....OWWWWWWW!

And so goes a day in the "normal" life for a normal amputee! :smile:

• Like 1

You write this with much humor. I'm glad it didn't ruin your evening. What we have to go through is incomprehensible to most normal people. You need to ask your legman for a heavy duty shoe horn. I got one at a past conference. I use it every day because I change shoes daily.

• Like 1

Definitely need a shoe horn Cheryl ... were your shoes very tight? ... easier when shoes are a slightly looser fit but know that can cause a problem with certain styles, and after a while slip on's can become slip off's when in walking mode.... I tend to stick to a strap and buckle type which works for me, but don't usually have any problems changing them over.

Glad I only have one pair of shoes. :)

Thanks for sharing the lesson learned.

Thanks, gang..... I actually have a good, dependable shoehorn...somewhere. Could I locate it yesteday? Of course not! So, between the fact that I was attempting to use a substitute for a shoehorn and the fact that the shoe was new and stiff...well...you get the idea. (But the hammer was a lovely idea and worked like a dream once I got ahold of it! :tongue: )

I agree, a good shoehorn is a genuine necessity in an amp's life. I think I'm going to see about picking up a few more and leaving them in various places where I might be inclined to change shoes: one in the bedroom, one in the bathroom, one beside the sofa, one in the car in case the shoe-shopping bug bites me. (I know it's been helpful since I started scattering compact, fold-up umbrellas in my wake after moving up here where it rains much more than it did in SoCal!)

Really, Neal...every day!?! Maybe it's easier for a guy??????

My shoe horn is best my friend. :smile: I pretty much change shoes every day too. It's really easy when there's no skin on my foot. The silicone covering makes it a little more stubborn. Glad you're okay!

The only thing lacking is that I thought you were gonna say that after you were on the floor, you looked sideways,at the instigation shoe and noticed that the toe was packed with paper like a lot of new shoes are... Sorry to hear about the sore stump....

One of the tricks that you might try with a new shoe, is putting some baby power in it.. Helps those things slide on sometimes.....In this house, you never know where you might find a shoe horn.... I always carry one in my purse... Even Jon will ask for it when buying new shoes now....

As far as "perfect" shoe horns, I don't think you can beat those heavy plastic ones yet..

Hang in there............

I hope u didn't end up with an open sore on ur leg....I have been wheelchairing it for the past week due to a sore. Do not like that one bit either. If fact it puts me in a mean frame of mind. :mad: Hate the whole world. Anyone else have those days....and yes I change my shoes about every day also. Hope u feel better soon. I know I do when I spout off. {sometimes} :happy:

Thanks again everyone....it's feeling a little bit better today, so I hope it will be a "brief" recovery period. No open sores, Ann, and I'm really thankful for that! I don't even have much bruising coming out (yet!)...I think that may be because I I did immediately put the leg on and had to go off and move around during the concert and the after-concert socializing. Perhaps the compression from the socket and all the movement kept all that under control. I'm using my wheelchair to get around, but I'm also putting my leg on daily in order to keep the compression going. So far, the only real problems have been pain, swelling, and a really, really cold stump when I take the leg off at night.

No, Tammie, I did think to take the paper out of the toe first! The really annoying thing would have been to have wound up on the floor, looked around, and found the missing shoehorn! :laugh: There might have been cursing in that case.............

• Like 1

I change shoes daily 1) because I'm a barefoot kinda guy. Bare in the warmer months and socks when it's cold. 2) I was told your shoes last longer when not worn two days in a row.

That's what they say....... What do you think... Does your "normal" shoe or the one on the prosthetic foot wear out first?

Cheryl... I'm just glad that so far, it doesn't seem any worse than that. I had fallen the day I got home from the hospital, landing on my stump, and I learned from my ortho, that people often split the bone upward when falling like that.... If it continues to be painful, maybe that is something to consider...

I hope that it is getting better........

That's what they say....... What do you think... Does your "normal" shoe or the one on the prosthetic foot wear out first?

Normal shoe wears out first for me.

It's the "normal" side shoe for me as well. I figure it's because that foot bends and flexes so much more than the prosthetic side.

I'm up and walking some today, and everything seems to be working well. I was a very lucky gal! Still very little bruising, and even that is starting to fade :biggrin:

Normal side for me too. I don't notice it a lot. Maybe because I change shoes so often. I've always have a little bit of a shoe 'problem'. The amputation didn't change that. Now I just buy different shoes than I used to! :tongue:

• Like 1

Your natural foot/leg carries most of your body weight and is the side you pivot on. Also in my case, it gets use when I can not wear my "new leg".

I wish I could find a heavy duty shoe horn - I bend so many out of shape. I also change shoes daily so this is an ongoing issue.

Cheryl - glad you haven't done too much damage and hope the pain goes soon.

Look on line, Sue. I bet you'll find one.

The shoe store gave me a longer plastic shoe horn long ago for my work boots. Wish I had another one.