Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doug

I am the new guy

Okay "I" am not really new. Just new to this site.

Got to look around and see there are lots of people here from all over the planet.

So what happened to make everyone so quiet??

If its because you know a lot, thats good, because I am still learning.

I could go on and on, but you're not here, you won't read this will you?

What if I need help? Or can help you?

I am the new guy here. Hope you are well.

• Like 1

I read it!

Thank you for responding.

I know that I have not been here long.

Just trying to spark a bit of activity.

We go through periodic "lulls" Doug, and someone posting just to "keep us stirred up" is ALWAYS welcome! Thanks!

• Like 1

Welcome Doug. Like Cheryl said, we get quiet at times. I visit this forum daily to see if there is anything new. Hit us up with your problems and I'm sure we'll come up with about 15 answers. LOL

Maybe I just got cranky because I cant wear the leg right now. (Skin breakdowns)

Hope I did not offend anyone with my ranting. I wish to inspire and not to scold.

On the bright side, I like the unique blend of people here.

I have had the blessing of learning quite a bit from others during the seven month I sat here healing.

My message is really meant for the member who may never see it. The person new to limb loss needs to learn from the person that has adjusted to it. And that experienced person can also learn about new options available.

Thank you for being here, listening and sharing what you have learned.

Hi Doug, it seems the forum has been unusually quiet for a while. I sometimes wonder if everyone's on FB! Welcome to the forum and thanks for trying to get us stirred up. I miss all the activity here.

Hi Doug. I'm also relatively new and also waiting to walk because of skin breakdown problems...I've posted one problem here since I joined and had amazingly helpful and supportive responses, so do ask if you need some advice - as you say, there are people here from all over the world, and someone will have the answer!

To everyone that responded to this thread, "Thank You".

I just learned I need to use a few more socks to take up space in my socket. Since I am very new to wearing a prosthetic, my leg is shrinking extra fast.

Yesterday I had sweat and blood in the liner after only three hours of use.

Today I added a thick sock (five ply I think) and had almost no issue after four hours.

Life is better now.

"Blood," Doug? "Sweat" is common, especially for new amputees...if you're lucky the sweating will decrease after you get through your first summer. But "blood" is a warning signal. Have you found the source of the sore? And is it being protected? And do you happen to be diabetic? If the answer to that last one is "yes," have you had a wound care nurse check out the source of the bleeding and recommend treatment for you?

Sorry to jump on you that way, but it's to your advantage to keep your stump in top condition. And, as you've learned, new amps go through tons of shrinkage in their early days, and it puts lots and lots of stress on the skin. So be very careful, OK?

No need to be sorry Cheryl.

Got blisters and didn't make adjustments fast enough. Had to increase by five ply sock. Maybe more. Now that I can walk I am shinking real fast.

No I am not diabetic, but I am dieting to lose weight. Plus the heat found its way to Pennsylvania.

I see the prosthetist on Monday to get me back on track.

No need to be sorry Cheryl.

Got blisters and didn't make adjustments fast enough. Had to increase by five ply sock. Maybe more. Now that I can walk I am shinking real fast.

No I am not diabetic, but I am dieting to lose weight. Plus the heat found its way to Pennsylvania.

I see the prosthetist on Monday to get me back on track.

yea heat is my biggest issue as well, as far as the shrinkage you will continue to shrink for a while so keep plenty of sock around, and keep them and the liner clean. unfortanatly skin break down is going to be a ongoing thing you will have to be cautious of, just some advise....if you start sweating bad dont wait....wipe off your liner and stump and if all possible clean it and dont chance it if you need to take a break take it. also inspect your stump several times a day. a hand held mirror especially the ones with expendable handle that has a swivel head works great!!!!

also talk to your practitioner about those belt that attach to your leg then around your waist. those are great when you are transitioning between sizes.

and continually keep up with your practitioner, and be honest.

Hi Doug, sorry not ignoring you either, just been bit busy and away for a few days, but welcome to the forum and I am sure you won't feel on your own on here for long.

Think you've been given some good advice here from Cheryl and the gimp, regards the sweating and shrinking. Unfortunately sweating goes with the territory a bit, but you'll find it will settle down a bit, you can get products to help with this which some people use, what I do though is just carry some paper towels around with me and if I feel its getting sweaty and slipping a bit I just take the leg off and dry the stump and the liner, I noticed your a below knee like me, I can usually do this quite unobtrusively though have been doing it for a lot of years. Like the gimp says, do try and keep the liner as clean as possible, if you can get hold of more than one liner it helps a lot, especially in hot weather as the liners, esp the thicker ones tend to hold the heat, so in hot weather I will change mine several times during the day sometimes and clean it everytime I take it off if I can. Also to start with perhaps take it off to give your leg a bit of a breather for half an hour or when it gets really hot.

Shrinking is something you'll probably going to be doing something of a lot of in the next few months now you are walking more and especially if you are dieting as well, sorry to hear about the blisters, its easy to get caught out, and even those of us who have been at this for a long time can get caught out sometimes, as I myself recently did, and hadn't even after all these years realized I was actually walking on the end, which wasn't good. What a lot of us do when or if we realize we are going deeper in, is cut a thinner sock in half and turn it over so the elasticated bit comes just below the knee area and that might just lift you out enough for a while to stop you going too deep ... its good to carry around a few socks and half sock with you as you might find that the leg is tighter in the morning and then as you are walking throughout the day you gradually go down into it. I know I have times where I can walk into a supermarket and the legs are feeling fine and then half way round, they will suddenly get uncomfortable and I (usually) realize I have gone down to deep. But do be watching for any skin breakdown ... and if there is any let it heal and get to your prosthetist as soon as possible.

It probably sounds all a bit like a full time job to you at the moment, but these are things that you will probably very soon be doing automatically and it will all become normal for you.

Do feel free to come back and ask any questions, sorry there wasn't many of us around when you needed us last week.

Great advise and much appreciated too.

I have been to see my prosthetist today. I am using 10 ply of socks already. The blisters are healing. And therapy is going well too. We may even switch from a walker to a cane. My volume is changing quickly and I needed to learn to adjust for that.

I believe that everytime you give advice and encouragement you help three people; You help the person you send it to, You help yourself because you feel better, and you help the person just stopping by to see what's going on.

Hi Doug,

Also not ignoring you but have not been on for a few weeks because of work (work would be easy if it weren't for people).

Constantly changing size is a big problem at times - I usually have a spare sock in my handbag for adjustment during the day but that doesn't help if you don't carry a handbag.

7/12/2012

Hi Doug,

Welcome. The earlier posts offered some great advise.

Not mentioned in this conversation is a product called "Chaffing Relief Powder Gel" by Monistat I faithfully use it every day before the liner goes on. In addition I use a small square of a non stick telfa pad over a particularity troublesome section of scars at the end of my femur. Each new socket (on my third in 2yrs) I have tried not using a telfa pad the pre amp scars reopen. Time out of the socket, horrible crutches, not swimming etc.... I'll keep using the non stick pad.

The sweating will get better too. I swore I would be carrying around a paper towel roll forever but my leg doesn't sweat at all anymore. If I only could get the rest of my body to do the same!

Jane