Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
micky

Knee replacement surgery

Hi

I have not posted for a while as I have just had knee replacement surgery on my good leg. . I am a left leg transfemoral and was wondering if anyone here has had the same procedure and how they got through it.

I seem to recall someone here being through a similar procedure, Micky...but I don't remember who it was. So I hope they read your post and offer up some advice! In the meantime, good to hear from you. How did the knee replacement go? (I have a friend--a non-amputee--who's looking at knee replacement in just a couple of months, so I'd be interested in what he might have to look forward to.)

Hi cherylm

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out.

The knee replacement surgery went ok There was, and still is, a lot of swelling which makes the knee very stiff, quite a bit of pain and it is really hard to get my leg in a comfortable position. Having said that it is only 2 weeks since my surgery so I suppose it is to be expected. My problem is trying to get my prosthetic leg on sitting down as I haven't got to put my full weight through it yet.

If your friend isn't an amputee and is reasonably active, he shouldn't be too bad. Tell him to keep up to speed with his painkillers and always have the ice packs nearby, they are very useful.

Thanks for the advice...I'll pass it along!

Hi micky

I think Cherylm may have been talking about me? (Hi, Cherylm :smile: )

I'm AK (with a hip replacement on that side) and BK (with a TKR on that side). There was 11 months between the surgeries and rehab was excruciatingly long! :sad:

With regards to putting your leg on, why don't you try to perch, on one buttock, on the edge of your bed, chair or wheelchair? You'll have to sit slightly sideways on, but it is do-able.

If you have any other questions please PM me.

:smile:

OMG, Lizzie....yes, you WERE the one I was thinking of! (very, very embarrassed here :blush: ) All I could remember was that it was "someone who had been really, really active here in the past and had a number of various problems/situations to cope with in their everyday living." I'm very glad you found Micky's post! Thanks! And "hi back at you!"

Hi Lizzie2

Thanks for getting back with the info on putting my prosthetic leg on. I am managing at the moment by sitting on the edge of a chair and putting it on but doesn't fit the same. I have managed to get around a little and it is getting a little easier. I think it is going to be a long process though as I have found out I need 2 hip replacements as well !!

I've had a hip replacement too, Micky ... on my AK side ... not boasting or anything. :rolleyes:

You definitely won't be able to use the same socket after that op. Please PM me for more details about that op, as I don't like sharing such personal stuff on forums.

As far as your TKR goes, if you sit sideways on and sit on a pressure relieving cushion or memory foam mattress/cushion it should stop you from falling off - the limb should go on as it always has. If it doesn't, get it part way on and use something like a perching stool - sit on the stool and loosen your limb, then slide into it.

If you're taking pain meds or any other medication, it may cause you to retain water and that could affect your socket fit. :blink: