Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
juancmaires

New Hybrid Prosthesis (Aqualeg)

Good day everybody,

I wanted to stop by to share my experiences with my last prosthesis which is by far the best I've ever had.

My name is Juan, 30 years old, LBK amputee since 2000 (cancer). I am far from knowing everything about prosthesis but been an amputee for over 12 years has allowed me to see the good, the bad, and the ugly about prosthesis, leg guys, insurances, skin problems, sports, and people in general. As I said I don’t know it all and that is why I join this type of sites to share my experiences and learn from yours.

A couple of years after I started with my first prosthesis I began searching for a solution that will allow me to go in the water, specifically the beach. There were some options out there like having a shower prosthesis or using a cover like the Dry Pro. I did not have the money to spend in a prosthesis that I will only use for the water. I did use the DryPro cover and it was ok (you get what they offer).

I know many of you maybe thinking "just take off the leg and go in the pool, beach or whatever you want to do".

I use my glasses for everything except for sleeping, and that is exactly what I wanted with my prosthesis. I use my prosthesis for everything except water. How come that will all the technology there is no solution for amputees that want to have one hybrid prosthesis for everyday activities including water activities.

Fortunately there was another amputee that was wondering the same thing, and he was actually doing something about it.

That is how in 2010 I found the website of Fred Roach (wonderful person) in which he was sharing his story and his personal project called Aqualeg.

Fred was happy with the results and decided to move forward with the project, and that is how the Aqualeg Cover started.

This year I needed to change my leg and in the process I was able to add the Aqualeg Cover. I am currently using a carbon socket with a Freedom (Highlander foot) and the Aqualeg Cover. After all this years I am now finally able to go to the beach, pool, taking showers at the gym. (you can check my pics)

I was already happy with my life before I found the Agualeg Cover because I have a wonderful wife and I’m surrounded by great family and friends but it is a great complement and it has allowed me to do things I always wanted to do after the amputation.

We are in the middle of summer and I am enjoying every bit of it!!!

Regards,

Juan

post-3027-0-10019800-1342593976_thumb.jp

post-3027-0-66615300-1342594057_thumb.jp

post-3027-0-82253300-1342594105_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hi Neal,

What you see in the pics is the Aqualeg cover. It is a cover that you can remove or pull up whenever the prothesist needs to make adjustements or if you want to change it.

Basically Im using a carbon socket, with an Iceros Synergy Liner and a Freedom Innovations foot (Highlander). So on top of that I added the Aqualeg Silicon Cover, all the components are water resistance so this is my everyday leg and I use it for everyday activities (including water activities).

Is it affordable? There has been a lot of talk about swimming legs on an amputee board on FB lately. The cost of a dedicated water leg is too much for most of us. Something that can be used on your everyday leg or one that still fits OK is much more reasonable.

I agree with you... having a dedicate swimm leg is a luxury.

The good thing (IMO) about the Aqualeg cover I have is that it is that ... a cover.. meaning that I can keep it and use it with my future prosthesis or if I have to change my socket or the foot I can just take off the cover, do whatever i have to do and then put it back on and it is suppose to last for many years.

In terms of price you know that it will depend on your prothesist, because the people from Aqualeg sell it to your prothesist and then your prothesist sells it to you (like any other component) but it should be around 2,500 euros.

• Like 1

Hello! My name is Peter. I'm 35 and I'm a right below knee amputee because of an accident one month ago. When I was in hospital I saw the aqualeg website and I said to myself: "This is what I need!" because I live near the sea. Then I saw your post in the forum two years ago. I'm really interested in buying one aqualeg Hybrid semi-soft cover.

But before I would like to collect more information about how satisfied are the users of this aqualeg semi-soft cover.Unfortunately you are the only one I have found that has an aqualeg hibrid semi-soft cover. That's why I'm asking you if you could share with me your experience and answer to my questions.

1. Are today also satisfaid with your aqualeg Hibrid Semi-soft cover?

2. Do you use it only in summer or all year?

3. How is damaged after two years?

4. How much time aqualeg gives the warranty for their aqualed semi-soft cover?

5. How many years do you think you will use your aqualeg semi-soft cover before you will have to buy another one?

Thank you very much!

Peter

Hi Peter

Not sure where you are located but I am a below knee amp living in the UK and have just got my first pair of water legs, which you can actually use as an everyday walking leg too. The 'water' bit is a waterproof foot and pylon and its fitted to a normal b/k socket, mine is attached with usual sleeves and you just use it like a normal prosthesis, mine have nice blue/black patterned laminated sockets too. The feet are a little different from my everyday feet, but I find I very quickly get used to walking with them, the prostheses themselves are quite comfy to wear and I have found it amazing to be able to walk straight into the water.

Ann

Hi Peter;

thanks for reaching.

You mentioned you are a new amputee. As a new amputee I understand you have to thinking what is the right foot? what cover to use? and things like that. But before getting into that please make sure you get the right fit for your prosthesis. and when I say the right fit I mean like a glove. You can have the best foot, the best cover the best everything but if you have a poor fit, nothing will feel right.

I wrote about that in the following link in case you are interested:

http://www.empowerin...r=106j2tgos2e6o

Ok sorry for that long introduction ;-)

Regarding the Aqualeg.

I am a very very active person. I do crossfit 5 times a week, and I enjoy every outdoor activity (im not saying im good at those things, I just wanted to point out my level of activity). I am now living in Montreal, Canada so I need to enjoy even more the summers now (lucky you that live near the sea :biggrin: )

So I was always looking for something that would allow me to do all my activities AND water activities as well without the need of having a special water/shower prosthesis.

Thats when I came accross Aqualeg,

Its been a couple of years since Im using it and I can tell you that i can not be happier.

I was afraid it was not going to last but let me tell you it is very very durable. To give you an example check out the link below for you to have an idea of the kind of treatment i give to my prosthesis and the aqualeg cover

http://www.mudhero.com/fr-ca/trouverun%C3%A9v%C3%A8nement/montreal.aspx

To answer your questions:

1. Are today also satisfaid with your aqualeg Hibrid Semi-soft cover?

VERY satisfied

2. Do you use it only in summer or all year

all year long, I use for anything and everything

3. How is damaged after two years

after two years is in pretty good condition. There is no damage to the cover so far

4. How much time aqualeg gives the warranty for their aqualed semi-soft cover

The version I have was a prototype, to get the warranty information you will need to contact them directly

5. How many years do you think you will use your aqualeg semi-soft cover before you will have to buy another one

Im not thinking about changing it any time soon

Peter, I hope this info is helpful for you. Hit me back if you have any other questions. Not only about the prosthesis but about anything regarding the prosthesis, life as an amputee, and why not life in general if you want lol

Have a great day!

Peter you have asked the questions I was about to ask. This cover sounds to good to be true. I really need one of these, will have to try and find an agent here in South Africa.

Thank you Juan for such informative information ....you have made my day.

Jenny South AFrica

Hello Juan!

Thank you for your answers. I am very happy that you are satisfied withe aqualeg.

Maybe for the others reading this forum: I wrote to Aqualeg and they told me that the price is 2500€ (as you have previously mentioned) and that the warranty is one year, but they are sure (and you are also) that will last for many years.

I hope that you will be so kind to answer to some new questions.

One of the very useful thing about the aqualeg semi-soft cover is that you can use it also when you take the shower (you are in the shower on two feet :)

1. When you finish your shower how much time do you have to wait in the shower before the water runs out?

2. Then you wipe yourself with a towel. Are after that your clothes wet?

Thank you wery much.

Peter