Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
steved

Anyone with knowledge of hemipelvectomy?

I am probably having a hemipelvectomy in August to deal with a recurrence of bowel cancer. I appreciate it is a fairly rare op but just looking to see if there is anyone out there with knowledge about this op and the subsequent recovery and disability. I would really love to hear from anyone who has been through anything similar to understand what I am facing to help me prepare for the op and its consequences. My big issue is mobility postop as I am very active and enjoy a lot of sprt and have two young children. I understnad a lot of people with HPs opt to use crutches and wheelchairs at times as well as prostheses. I know little about the prostheses and am due to meet with the mobility team pre-op to discuss things but almost fgeel I don't even know enough to know what questions I should be asking.

Any adivse, suggestions, ideas etc are welcomed,

steve

Hi Steve

I don't have a hemipelvectomy, but I know someone who does and I also know people who have had hip disarticulations.

If you need further info please PM me. Otherwise, please take a look at this site - http://www.beenamputatie.nl/

Lizzie :)

I have been through a Hemipelvectomy and it is a very difficult and long recovery. If anyone is interested in knowing more about my experience please let me know. I am now able to live on my own, use some crutches but mostly my wheel chair. I will be getting a prosthesis in the next few months. I guess the real challenge is still ahead