Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
CaptainKB

Elevated suction socket or back to......

How many of you have gone from suction liner to an elevated suction system, just to go back to a suction liner system witout the motor.

I travel a lot and walk through many airports, then spend the day up until 10pm with my leg on. Blisters are the biggest issue. I have tried two docs and two systems. The fit is great, it just seams that after long periods of time and a lot of walking always related to water blisters, some the size bigger than a U.S 50 cent peice.

This can be very painful while still having to finish a business trip. Once I return home I am useless until they are healed.

One note however: I have become an expert on finding the fastest healing process.

- Ensure all skin on the blister is remove

- Continually pop the blisters (smaller ones until they no longer refill with liquid)

- Wash with neutral soap and water

- Apply Gold Bond itch and Dry power for burns, etc.

- Wear a cast waterproof liner in the shower . DO NOT get the blisters wet from here on out!!

- Reapply the Gold Bond (orange container) often

- Allow to air dry and do not apply any bandages

- Use the 3m Tegrederm bandage if you must where the prosthetic

I have found that the blisters heal twice as fast using this method.

I am considering going back to a ligtweight socket utilizing an ossur ring suction liner. I never walked better than when I had a basic unit like this, then I went elevated and have good days and some really bad days. Like the motor going out, forgetting to charge the device on top of my c-leg which creates down time.

I am interested in your resonses good , bad or indifferent. Has anyone had this issue and been able to find a fix?

I have already asked my leg doc/docs

Cheers

I used the Harmony system with the vacuum pump built into the leg. Not an electic one.

I think Doug has something. The vacuum system I wore was a manuel one. I'm sure it lost vacuum over the course of the day, but still felt secure. The motorized vacuum is applying too constant pressure on some of us. Any void at all will result in a blister. I've gone to an Ossur X5 liner and love it.

• Like 1

I just finished 4 years of vacuum. I have used the in-line ex Harmony, now OttoBock manuel pump with a double socket. I have also used the attached electric pump (OttoBock) and a much simpler hand pump from the automotive store. I have enjoyed many hours of problem free walking.

I have also put up with endless hours of trying to locate vacuum leaks and faulty connections, lint cloging valves and endless hours in the prosthetists shop waiting for repairs or new parts for the vacuum system.

This week I am starting with the Ossur ring suction system and a lightweight socket, I can't wait.

• Like 1

I use the elevated vacuum system. I had the electric pumps, but being bilateral, I had more problems. I would be in meetings and the pumps would go on and off, too much vacuum for my legs, etc. The elevated vacuum system can be tricky for a bilateral, but have had no skin issues. I did have water blisters once with the electric system, and you are right...you have to not wear the legs and just let it heal. Things are good for me right now. I wish you would run down to Georgia and see Stephen or Rusty at ProCare. They are so good...

I have to admit I do not know what an elevated suction socket is. I am in a suction socket w/ a ring just below the knee; I do not have to use a pump & most of the time it stays pretty good. I can't use the five rings due to my leg being tapered too much. I believe it came from evloution.

• Like 1