Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Grum

Any other Genium users on here?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if there are any other Genium users on here and if so have any of you experienced the Error Code 131?

Too late at this time of night to speak to anyone here in the UK but I have called the US service centre and spoke to a technician there who said its normally a terminal problem.

The real worry is that the safety mode hasn't even kicked in and I've been left with a completely free knee which, whilst I can walk on it, is a little less than ideal when I try and walk over anything other than completely flat ground.

I have a Genium, but don't know the answer to your question. Have you figured it out yet? If not, I can ask my boss tomorrow (he's a prosthetist). Hopefully you are good to go, but I don't like the sounds of a completely free knee for walking!!!

Hi Karen,

Otto Bock were more than a little surprised themselves. I have to say that after a full night on charge the safety mode kicked in and I was able to walk although the battery showed only 96% charge after 8 hours.

The leg has now gone back to the service centre and I am on a loaner however at the moment I still have no idea what caused the problem or how long it will be before I get mine back.

I just hope it's a one off as I've had to turn off almost all of the extra features it has over the C-Leg and if it turns out that its not able to put up with my lifestyle I'm going to be more than a little angry at shelling out £20k more than a C-Leg for little more than longer battery life.

Hi Grum,

My name is Cale Konetchy, and I’m a prosthetist for Ottobock in the U.S.

Please see your trained clinician to perform the following procedure. Errors such as the Error Code 131 can be cleared by:

1. flexing the knee

2. unplugging the pylon with the knee still in flexion

3. plugging in the pylon and

4. reattaching the charger

Again, this should be done by a trained clinician. If this doesn’t clear the error, please bring it in to be serviced. The Ottobock Service Department can be reached at (763) 553-9464. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at cale.konetchy@ottobock.com.

Hope that helps,

Cale Konetchy, CP

Hi Cale,

Thanks for the reply. Otto Bock here in the UK managed to get me a replacement Genium within two days while they have a look at mine. I just hope this doesn't happen too often, I've had this leg less than three months and wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary if its going to be this temperamental and NOT go into safety mode when it does fail then its going to become the most expensive door stop in history when I go back to the C-Leg. It's already let me down with the way its new features work meaning that I've had to switch them off if it proves to be unreliable too then I'll have no choice but to give up and go back to something I know works.

Grum,

I’m glad to hear the knee is being looked at, and that they’ve given you a replacement Genium in the interim. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had to have some of the Genium’s features turned off. It might be worth speaking with your prosthetist about finding some ways to better take advantage of those features.

Also, we’d be happy to work with the clinicians who are working on your leg. I can provided any necessary support to ensure you are able to take full advantage of the Genium knee and all features available. Sometimes a few tips can go a long way toward improving a users experience.

Your clinician can feel free to contact me at cale.konetchy@ottobock.com.

Best Regards,

Cale Konetchy, CP

Thanks for the offer Cale

Sadly it's nothing to do with being able to use the features correctly, I was trained how to use the Genium by Otto Bock's own Physio who came over from Germany to train British Physios how to re-hab Genium users.

The problem is down to the way you initiate stair mode causing me fall over when carrying heavy objects (around 50 to 60 pounds) upstairs and not using stair mode. As I move my prosthesis back before bringing it level with my sound limb stair mode engages and my prosthetic foot doesn't end up where it needs to be. Also, when I move my prosthetic foot behind me when I'm about to kneel down it again engages stair mode, breaks all resistance in the knee and I fall on to the knee.

I also had to turn off the OPG as it made me walk slower than without it and made me more prone to falling over when walking on un-even ground.

Maybe OB could add the ability to turn the stair mode on/off into the remote that way I could use it when I'm at home and switch it of when I'm at work.

That said, the battery life is amazing. I just wish the battery technology was able to be put into the C-Leg.

Hi Grum,

My name is Cale Konetchy, and I’m a prosthetist for Ottobock in the U.S.

Cale Konetchy, CP

Hi Cale - please forgive this little "hijacking" of the thread, but can you organise spare seals for the hydraulic units of 3R60's? We have an OttoB here in South Africa now - if you could send the seals there, you would make me a really REALLY happy camper!

Say you can.........??? :)

Grum

I have had my Genium now for well over a year with no problems of any type. Well almost none. I found that you had to disengage the charger from the leg before unplugging the power to it as sometimes that would throw the computer into a funk. But other then that, this has been without a doubt the best knee i have ever had. The only thing I wish is I had a prothestist near to program one of the settings for riding a horse. Will get that done next time I go back to Canada.

Jeff

This thread makes me somewhat happy I didn't get a Genium. I'm not an early adopter due to these kinds of problems but I did try to get one. Insurance would not cover so got a new cleg instead and have been quite satisfied with it. I do hate that you cannot "legally" use whatever foot you want especially since OB feet are so horribly limited for women. On the plus side I forgot my charger one weekend and the thing stayed fully charged from Friday morning at 6:30 until I took it off Sunday night at 23:00. Not sure howuch longer it might have gone. I was very pleasantly surprised.