Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cistin

Gambling problem

I've been a member here for a few years now, but this is the first time posting anything at all...anyway this happened to me about a month after going back to work after I lost my right leg just above the knee.

I was on break chatting with a friend, at this point I still hadn't gotten my prosthetic so I was still using crutches. My friend is a heavy set fellow with back problems so he was on crutches that day as well. Had been a few months since i talked to him since I was out of work for so long and he'd been taking a lot of time off due to his back issues as well. After awhile a guy came up to us from my left and said "Looks like you two have the same bookie." At that point I turned to him stuck my stump out and said, "Yeah, but I owed him a hell of a lot more money." The guy clearly didn't know what so say as he just turned around and walked away.

Very funny. That's the best way to break the ice when dealing with people about your amputation. I like humor in just about any situation.

Is that you Mark? I haven't heard from you in ages. How are things? We should probably get together and catch up.

Yep this is Mark, and getting together and catching up sounds good. Oh and a side note to that story above the guy I caught off guard and I became friends later on, he was just temporary speechless. Not that I came blame him on that front.

I have a wee funny story as well,, I was at a road crossing on my scooter and a little boy kept staring at my stump,, he was walking around it and bending down to get a good look. Next minute he says to me" has your foot fallen off?" So i reply "yes it has, i was naughty and didnt eat all my veg" He then goes running up to his mum and talks very animatedly i could imagine him asking for sprouts for dinner,,

• Like 1