Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
char

New to site

Hello everyone, my name is Charlotte and i am 7 weeks post below knee, i am 39 years old and live in Devon ,, i have my new leg but had a bad day at physio on my first try out of the mobility centre ,, so i am on a weeks rest grrrr first lesson learnt,,, always make sure u have enough socks/ liners on,,

• Like 1

Yes, welcome Charlotte! You've learned one of the first lessons of amp-dom. Especially during your first year post-op, it's a good idea to carry a variety of sox and other appropriate "cleaning and fitting" gear at all times. Your leg goes through so many changes so quickly in your first several months that you'll be re-adjusting your prosthetic at least a few times per day.

With time and experience, things should settle down and you should get a better idea of what your daily "maintenance schedule" will be! :wink:

• Like 1

Welcome Charlotte- strangley I too am 39 and live in Devon. I am not yet an amputee but am due a hemipelvectomy (ery high amputation) in the next month so will be joining the club just behind you. Would be interested of you experience of our local services- I will mainly be using Exeter, not sure where you are based. think navigating services to get good treatments seem important especially in this early phase of getting the leg fitted right and learning to use it as well as accessing other supports. I had been told there is a Devon Amputee Support Group but not accesssed them myself.

Do feel free to message me directly as others here may not be so interested in the nitty gritty of Devon life!

steve

Thank you everyone, Hi Steve i am based in torquay and have found exeter to be the best for everything,, i wanted to go to physio closer to home but as it was a smaller set up with just one physio trying to see to 6 of us, i very quickly went back to exeter mobility center, the good thing there is that you have everyone there from the counsler to the phsyio to the leg makers, i would contact you direct but not sure how to????

Hi, I am also BK and would echo the above advice to get used to carrying around an assortment of socks etc as you will change constantly even within one day. As you settle down it will get a little better but you will still often change within a day so will always need an extra sock or two to hand!

• Like 1

Hello everyone, my name is Charlotte and i am 7 weeks post below knee, i am 39 years old and live in Devon ,, i have my new leg but had a bad day at physio on my first try out of the mobility centre ,, so i am on a weeks rest grrrr first lesson learnt,,, always make sure u have enough socks/ liners on,,

agree Charlotte, and you will get very used to taking these out and about with you as time goes on. In my handbag are always a couple of spare socks, half sock and in hot weather wipes and kitchen towel to dry off the liner.

• Like 1

Welcome Charlotte. I'm still carrying around various socks after 8 years. Our weather changes so quickly in Oklahoma that I never know what I might need until it's too late.

• Like 1

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to our great group. I know my first year I went through all sorts of changing in my leg and trying to get the prosthetic to fit, but since then it has been pretty smooth sailing. I wish you a short first year.

Peace, Beth Marie

• Like 1